Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 03:43 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,181,510 times

Advertisements

The current rod is about 6 years old and I already anticipate needing a lot of leverage to get it removed... Unfortunately, it is in my attic and there is nothing to hold the tank in place. I may have to build a little framing around the tank to keep it from spinning as I try to torque the bolt while also trying NOT to fall through the attic access port which is directly adjacent to the tank.

My question is, has anyone ever actually damaged their tank while trying to torque out the rod?

Some people might be afraid of contaminating the tank, but it is only hot water and will never be drank so I am not opposed to using a little PB Blaster on the head.

If you have any advice on this job, I'd appreciate hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 03:53 PM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Let it ride.

Next time you buy a water heater buy one that comes with the 2nd anode rod.
Plan a location on the main floor for the WH and get it out of the attic.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:07 PM

17,643 posts, read 15,340,381 times
My question is.. Where did you actually find an anode?

It's something I plan to do in a few years after replacing my HWH about 2 years ago.. But I've never seen one in Home Depot or Lowe's or anywhere. I figured worst case I'd order it from the manufacturer.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
My question is.. Where did you actually find an anode?

It's something I plan to do in a few years after replacing my HWH about 2 years ago.. But I've never seen one in Home Depot or Lowe's or anywhere. I figured worst case I'd order it from the manufacturer.
I got mine shortly after replacing the prior failed heater.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...vZbqolZ1z0u26h

Old 02-06-2018, 04:40 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,329,589 times
I removed one from a failed water heater just to take a look at it. I had to use a 4' piece of pipe to get enough leverage to unscrew it. The top of the tank dented when I twisted it out. I got it out, but I'm not sure a new one would go in. The top of the tank was pretty messed up.
The anode rod was toast by the way.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:55 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,180,698 times
Penetrating oil probably isn't a bad idea- drowned it; and let it sit overnight.

Use a 1/2" breaker bar and a 4' cheater pipe- leverage is your friend. If two people can get around the heater you should be able to break it loose while the other holds the W/H in place.

Have only done it once in FL- it was 8yo. The anode wasn't shot- but was non-effective because of calcium.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,874,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The current rod is about 6 years old and I already anticipate needing a lot of leverage to get it removed... Unfortunately, it is in my attic and there is nothing to hold the tank in place. I may have to build a little framing around the tank to keep it from spinning as I try to torque the bolt while also trying NOT to fall through the attic access port which is directly adjacent to the tank.

My question is, has anyone ever actually damaged their tank while trying to torque out the rod?

Some people might be afraid of contaminating the tank, but it is only hot water and will never be drank so I am not opposed to using a little PB Blaster on the head.

If the threads are frozen or very tight, yes, you may have a problem getting that item out of the fitting on top of your water heater.

See if you can find a proper socket wrench and then use an impact wrench, set to the lowest setting.
Once the threads break loose you can just rotate the rod and remove it !

Not quite on topic but anyway ...
I have never understood the way some people think when they put things together.
Why would you put a water heater which can go bad and develop bad leaks, in an attic ?
that is like asking for trouble. (kudos to MrRational)

The other thing is that I have seen homes where the hot water heater is all the way on the other side of the house, where most of the hot water is being used ?

Another idiotic way I have seen is that the water lines were inside the concrete slab, the house was built on ...

To top off the "what some idiots have done" is what I saw in the condo a friend bought in Escondido, Ca.
The water heater was 50 plus feet away from the house, inside a small storage shed.
The water lines were running above ground (against a fence) and totally NOT insulated !

Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I removed one from a failed water heater just to take a look at it. I had to use a 4' piece of pipe to get enough leverage to unscrew it. The top of the tank dented when I twisted it out. I got it out, but I'm not sure a new one would go in. The top of the tank was pretty messed up.
The anode rod was toast by the way.
Thanks, had this been an installed heater, do you think the dent would have affected it's function?

Old 02-06-2018, 05:36 PM

522 posts, read 995,032 times
Just like "irman" mentioned earlier above, I had used my electric impact wrench to loosen my two year old WH's anode rod.

It was the second time I used my no-name brand electric impact wrench in 12 years since buying it. The first was to loosen lug nuts of my Camry wheels which is what I had purchased it for.

Make sure you use the 6 point socket of correct size. Its 1-1/16" the right size?

Manually opening did not work for me. I was afraid it would turn the whole WH

Old 02-06-2018, 05:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
After reading this thread, it explains why most people don't change the anode rod or drain the tank. The whole thing is poorly designed and as noted above, poorly placed in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House