Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you mind having someone live on top of (upstairs)/below (downstairs) you?
Yes, I'd hate it very much and wish the neighbors death! 6 9.38%
Yes, I'd hate it and would rather live in the middle of nowhere! 26 40.63%
Yes, I'd dislike it but would accept it if that was all I could afford in that area. 16 25.00%
Somewhat, I'd accept it as long as it's family. 1 1.56%
No, I'm fine with it at long as they're not obnoxious. 13 20.31%
No, I'm perfectly fine with it and they'd be my close friends! 1 1.56%
No, I'm so fine with it that I wouldn't mind sharing a bunk bed with another grown man! 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 09:57 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00crashtest View Post
Concrete is so heavy that one story is no different to the human body than 12 during a collapse. Just the concrete roof slab collapsing would totally crush him. Also, due to the frame joist construction vs slabs, a typical post-1980 2-storey wooden house collapsing on a person is basically no different than a 5 storey wooden condo collapsing on him.
I don't have anything that heavy and would be fine if the house fell down like a silly clown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 10:02 AM

102 posts, read 40,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I don't have anything that heavy and would be fine if the house fell down like a silly clown.
My point is, the comparison between a wooden house and a concrete condo was unfair and that it has nothing to do with condos. It has everything to do with the structural style. Due to the light weight of wood, you would be fine if the wooden lowrise condo also fell down on you in a similar manner as your house. Anyway, living in a vehicle is of course the safest bet, because the roof of a vehicle weighs practically nothing if it falls down on you.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:54 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
In my apartment days I had both downstairs and upstairs apartments; I much preferred the upstairs since I don't like to hear people walking overhead.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I have a funny story about apartment living.

I lived in military housing (aka apartment living in some areas, including this particular one) about thirty years ago. One night, OMG, this sound kept coming up through the vents from next door and below us (catty corner to us). It was an odd sound but I absolutely could not sleep because of it. It sounded like, oh, I don't know, like someone was running a toy metal vehicle back and forth over the vents in that apartment or something.

I put up with it and put up with it and put up with it for hours and then finally, I had had enough. It was freezing cold outside and I was in my jammies - it was about 3 am but I figured, heck, SOMEONE down there was up and so was I so it's CONFRONTATION TIME. I put on my coat and slippers and stomped down there and banged on the door.

I was so embarrassed! This young man came to the door, shocked to hear anyone at his door at 3 am, and he and his wife and his PARENTS were sitting around in the living room, quietly playing Yahtzee. It was the sound of the dice being shaken in the cup that I was hearing, and it was at just a particular pitch so it sounded like a freight train, but actually they were being SUPER quiet, or so they thought!

I was very apologetic and said "Please, keep playing, I'm so sorry!" but they stopped. Oh well!

Old 07-10-2021, 02:52 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
My apartment has people above and below. The ones above are seldome even audible, so I don't mind at all.
It all depends. Our condo has absentee owners all around us. When they are occasionally there, we don't hear anything except if something is dropped on the tile floors. Loud TV is not audible, nor are footsteps or voices. But we are solid concrete block construction.

However, last night DH fainted and brought down the blender, the stovetop racks and a few other items as he crashed to the floor. Our upstairs catty-corner neighbor heard that!

Old 07-10-2021, 04:11 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If it is a smoker, definitely above.

A non-smoker who tromps-around like a herd of cattle, below.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:35 PM

102 posts, read 40,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It all depends. Our condo has absentee owners all around us. When they are occasionally there, we don't hear anything except if something is dropped on the tile floors. Loud TV is not audible, nor are footsteps or voices. But we are solid concrete block construction.

However, last night DH fainted and brought down the blender, the stovetop racks and a few other items as he crashed to the floor. Our upstairs catty-corner neighbor heard that!
This is one of the benefits of apartment/condo living then, because one can call for help and neighbors will be able to hear it and help each other by calling emergency services in medical emergencies.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:50 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The poll sucks, really, wishing death or having to move to the middle of nowhere, like there aren't less extreme options for people who hate shared spaces?

Now that's out of the way, no I will never again do living arrangements that involve sharing walls, ceilings or floors. If I move again there will be at least 200ft between homes, hopefully a lot more, with shrubs or fencing between. Neighbors are loud and noisy and mostly inconsiderate and unaware of other people.

If you were the only one left you wouldn't have much need for money, except maybe for the psychological satisfaction of it.
I would need all the gold and money and guns i can find. Like i typed up above, i could only last as long as the power stays on and the food in the stores stays good. Once they go i would be done without A/C magee AND I WOULD BLINK THE PEOPLE BACK JACK.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:00 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Many people never live any other way. Ive only lived in detached houses, but I hear people do just fine in apartment buildings.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:55 PM

167 posts, read 359,252 times
I have lived in apartments and condos. I preferred being on the ground floor because I had a young child at the time and I did not want her running around and disturbing others below. If the neighbours above were making noise I would run a fan for white noise.

We have lived in a detached house for many years now and we actually just added a second suite to our basement. We made sure to add tons of sound proofing and luckily our bedrooms are on the second level 2 floors away from the apartment. Our son is renting it and he is pretty quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House