Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 66,794 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to relocate to the Waller--Hempstead area where I have realtives. Can anybody tell me about the area--costs of housing, property taxes, crime rate, any areas to avoid in Waller County? Also, is this area affected by hurricanes and/ or tornadoes? Any problem with flooding?

I thank everyone in advance for their help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
Drive through there often and it's mostly rural as far as I can tell. Hempsted has a college so it's got a little more life. Likely more prone to thunderstorms than anything. I've driven that way this summer and I'm yet to see brown grass(read no drought). Strikes me as the kind of place one lives in, having no need for the hustle and bustle of modern conveniences, which are close enough if so inclined to seek them out.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 PM

Thank you Spookmeister. I have been there a few times and agree with what you say. With all the hurricane activity last year, it got me thinking about how it might affect that area. I wouldn't expect the kind of flooding that hits downtown Houston but there still has to be a threat from the winds after one of those monsters comes ashore.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
I'd assume the same when it comes to wind damage in a hurricane, but it's far enough inland where it would be considered 'minimal'. By my estimation it's a little over 90 miles straight line to the gulf and that would reduce the impact some.
There may come the year where three major ones come through the gulf and threaten the TX coast, but we're more likely to go years without seeing one so there's no cause for alarm.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
If there is a hurricane, the most likely threat will be to electricity rather than the actual house - barring the occasional tossed tree, which can occur in a tornado or thrunderstorm, as well. Also, you are on the 'escape' side of Houston, so just get out early (e.g. before the bulk of Houston) if there is a storm. You won't have to fight through the city proper.

I don't know where you are moving from or what hobbies you have, but if you like gardening of any sort, it is a wonderful area for that. Freezes will only come every few years and are short-term, and rain and sun are both plentiful. I have some friends down that way that have bought some property and made their own little garden pardise.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 PM

I'm coming down from the frozen north, and it sure will be good to live through a winter without 100+ inches of snow and ice storms. The wife loves to grow flowers so that will work out for her. Thanks for the info. I kind of figured that being about 90 miles away from the gulf would help out with hurricane damage, but wasn't sure. I do know that people in Hockley were told to evacuate last year when that hurricane that ended up pounding the Beaumont area appeared headed for Houston. But, as you say, you don't have to worry about the Houston traffic, as you are already west of it.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,349 times
My parents live in Waller. It is mainly farm lands and to me not considered a suburb which has it pros and cons. My parents like to drive everywhere, so going to the mall is no biggie however the closest one is about 30 minutes which is Willowbrook but the suburbs have been growing towards there. 15 minutes going into Houston, you will find many retail business's. It is amazing how much Houston has grown towards Waller and I figure in about 10 years, it will engulf the tiny town. One thing for sure, if you send your children to school there, you would not have to worry about Tommy or Polo.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:56 PM

95 posts, read 434,482 times
My dad is a real esate agent in waller and says housing is still one of the most reasonable in the houston greater area. a lot of growth around the town in the last few years- not so much in the town YET. Growth is coming though- and land will increase in value in price. Let me know if you need any help-

Old 08-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
My dad is a real esate agent in waller and says housing is still one of the most reasonable in the houston greater area. a lot of growth around the town in the last few years- not so much in the town YET. Growth is coming though- and land will increase in value in price. Let me know if you need any help-

Will do, and thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: