Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 197,906 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know what the sports culture is like down your way. From a professional standpoint, I'm sure the Texans reign king, but who comes 2nd, Astros(my guess) or Rockets? How many traitors(Cowboys, Spurs, Rangers,etc.) reside in Houston?(Living in Columbus it has driven me nuts since I was about 7 seeing Michigan and Steelers fans, 90-99%are not from/never been there) Are the Cougars and Owls treated as a good side dish or a footnote/afterthought? Also, your general thoughts on each stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I've been here only 6 months.
But I understand what you are saying, when I lived in San Antonio I couldn't stand everybody's blind support of the Dallas Cowboys.

On the news, on the sports section, they would talk about the Cowboys everyday of the year, usually, they would talk about the Cowboys 1st and Spurs 2nd.

That's all I needed to become a Texans fan.

When I lived in St. Louis and Kansas City it was completely different.
They only talked about their teams, and they didn't give a d..... about all the other teams (the way it should be)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
I'm only a Texans fan because I don't hate them and I live here. Same with the Rockets. Although their presence doesn't really ring bells like I'm used to the Saints back home.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 PM

563 posts, read 910,259 times
Texans reign supreme 'round these parts, followed by the Astros and then Rockets. Basically the same setup all across the U.S. (football, baseball, basketball, if your city has all three) based on viewership. Coming from a state that's pretty serious about football (Ohio) you will be pleased to find that in Texas football is king. We are as passionate about football as we are about brisket.

We too have a lot of people in Houston that cheer for other teams who have NEVER been to that city. But we also have a lot of people from those cities that have moved to Houston for work; I would imagine more of the latter.

The Cowboys are the most loved team in the state and the most hated by Houstonians. Every city in Texas you go to the majority of the fans are Cowboy fans (except Houston, of course); it has always been this way, even before being crowned "America's Team." San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Amarillo... None of them have football teams so the overwhelming support goes to the Cowboys. And like I said, in Texas football is king so even in San Antonio where the Spurs have won championship after championship the topic of discussion is going to be football.

There is usually a pretty big showing for all of Houston's college teams. There's also a lot of support for our high school teams. We even have something called "Game of the Week" were a local news station will choose one high school football game a week to broadcast live. A couple of times a year I actually like to make it out to a HS football or baseball game when there's a really good match around town.

Last edited by MobileDave; 09-13-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Texans reign supreme 'round these parts, followed by the Astros and then Rockets. Basically the same setup all across the U.S. (football, baseball, basketball, if your city has all three) based on viewership. Coming from a state that's pretty serious about football (Ohio) you will be pleased to find that in Texas football is king. We are as passionate about football as we are about brisket.

We too have a lot of people in Houston that cheer for other teams who have NEVER been to that city. But we also have a lot of people from those cities that have moved to Houston for work; I would imagine more of the latter.

The Cowboys are the most loved team in the state and the most hated by Houstonians. Every city in Texas you go to the majority of the fans are Cowboy fans (except Houston, of course); it has always been this way, even before being crowned "America's Team." San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Amarillo... None of them have football teams so the overwhelming support goes to the Cowboys. And like I said, in Texas football is king so even in San Antonio where the Spurs have won championship after championship the topic of discussion is going to be football.

There is usually a pretty big showing for all of Houston's college teams. There's also a lot of support for our high school teams. We even have something called "Game of the Week" were a local news station will choose one high school football game a week to broadcast live. A couple of times a year I actually like to make it out to a HS football or baseball game when there's a really good match around town.
That's debatable, everybody I know its football, basketball with baseball a distant third. Texans are number 1 here, followed by the rockets(they're the only team of the major three sports to have one a championship) then Astros. There are a lot of transplants here, so you have a lot of people who root for the teams from were they're from. As far as College football it's Texas and Texas A&M and then everybody else, again you have a lot of transplants so you have a lot of people who root for their Alma mater. Also a lot of LSU fans here.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
And then there are the non-native Texans in Houston who don't give a rat's rectum about Houston's teams.

Ronnie

Old 09-13-2011, 03:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
And then there are the non-native Texans in Houston who don't give a rat's rectum about Houston's teams.

Ronnie
I've noticed alot of that here. Lots of Saints and LSU fans.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 197,906 times
after lsu beat ohio state for the 2007 national championship i bought a good bit of lsu merchandise and wore it around the ohio state campus non-stop for a few weeks( i'm a huge buckeyes fan but i'm a huge a$$hole first.) i might as well been wearing a i love hitler shirt. ahh, good times, good times.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've been here only 6 months.
But I understand what you are saying, when I lived in San Antonio I couldn't stand everybody's blind support of the Dallas Cowboys.

On the news, on the sports section, they would talk about the Cowboys everyday of the year, usually, they would talk about the Cowboys 1st and Spurs 2nd.

That's all I needed to become a Texans fan.

When I lived in St. Louis and Kansas City it was completely different.
They only talked about their teams, and they didn't give a d..... about all the other teams (the way it should be)
The difference is Kansas City and St. Louis have their own NFL teams. San Antonio doesn't.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
St Louis is a baseball first town, much like Boston. When the Super Bowl was here, after the Pats won, all the Chowds who made the trek started cheering "yankees suck!"

Houston is Football first, spring football second, a few years ago I'd say baseball was next but now the Astros 'need some work'. Rockets have good interest when they are relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston