Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 PM

20 posts, read 66,257 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! I read this forum daily and it's great!

My family and I will be relocating to the Houston area in January. We are very excited and look forward to becoming Texans!

My job would most likely be downtown or the galleria area. How would the commute be if I lived in Pearland, Friendswood, Clear Lake, Cinco Ranch, Sugar Land or West University? I know that most of the houses in West University are really expensive but I also found some smaller (not mansions) homes for affordable prices. Do you know if all of West University is nice or is there also a bad area and this could be the reason for the cheaper houses???

Thanks again for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
If you are working in downtown, West U would be the closest neighborhood. Sorry I'm not familiar on if it has "bad areas", maybe someone else here will know more about that.

The suburb with the easiest commute to downtown would probably be Pearland, with Sugar Land being next.

With Clear Lake and Cinco Ranch, you'll end up sitting in a bunch of traffic. But maybe someone more familiar with Cinco Ranch can clarify that.

On the other hand, if you end up working in the Galleria area, then Clear Lake, Friendswood and maybe even Pearland are going to be too far. In that case, your best bet would probably be West U or Sugar Land.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:46 PM

I visited Houston about 3 years ago. I was in the zip code 77089 which is Houston & is not a suburb. I thought it was a wonderful neighborhood, quiet and very family oriented. I was there for about a month and enjoyed it very much. I fell in love with Texas. Do you happen to know if this area has high crime?

Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 PM

I'm not familiar with that zip, but looks like it's near Pearland/Friendswood. I'm not aware of a crime problem there, but don't go by just what I say because I don't know that area well.

The zips you want to stay away from are the ones in southwest Houston, along Beltway 8. That's where crime has gone up recently.

You can do zip research at these links:
Moderator cut: link removed
https://www.city-data.com/zips/zipdir/dir97.html

Last edited by Yac; 09-15-2006 at 03:09 PM..

Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks JJP!! I will look into those websites!! You have been so helpful!

Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 AM

JJP, I am planning a trip to Houston about a month prior to moving and staying there for a week. I will be there for job interviews and looking at the surrounding areas. Once I know where I will be working I will narrow it down to a specific area. I'm soo excited. I have spoken to a few recruiters over the phone and they said I would not have a problem finding a job in Houston. I pray all works out!

I had a question, are the property taxes more expensive in new master planned communities? I know property taxes are high already compared to other states but is there a list where it shows Houston and surrounding area taxes? This would also help! I'm not sure if there is but I thought I would just ask.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Just because a house is in a new master planned community does not make a difference on the tax rate except for the value of the house. In Texas every county, city/town, school district, government subsidized hospital (ie: from your property taxes), community college district, etc is what sets your tax rate based on the market value of your property. It is different for each one. The market value in Texas is supposed to be reevaluated every 3 years but can be done more often if there is a change in the local real estate that warrants it for your neighborhood. You can look at each counties tax apprasials website and look at the tax rates for each entity that taxes your property. The one for Houston is Harris County. It can be found at http://www.hcad.org/
If you find a house that is outside of Harris County they should have a link to that county. You should also be able to pull up the information for any property that you are interested in to see what they have the market value set at, what the taxes are for that year and the past history of values/taxes. You can see if there is a decline or an increase which may show more than what you see just driving down the streets. If you pay well above the tax appraisals market value for your house they can and probably will come in the first year and raise your "taxable market value" to that sales amount. So be very leary about paying well over that amount. You can fight or protest the value they put on your property but that first year you can forget it as they see it IS worth that $.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM

Thanks Momof2dfw! Your always very helpful. I thought it was different if it was a master planned community since everything is new. I went to a community here in California a while ago and the tax rate was higher and the realtor stated because it was brand new so the area tax was higher compared to the older area. I guess it is different from CA since california is based on what you pay versus what it is worth. Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Default Special Tax Assessments

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliFamily2Texas :) View Post
Thanks Momof2dfw! Your always very helpful. I thought it was different if it was a master planned community since everything is new. I went to a community here in California a while ago and the tax rate was higher and the realtor stated because it was brand new so the area tax was higher compared to the older area. I guess it is different from CA since california is based on what you pay versus what it is worth. Thanks again!
Here in San Antonio, and I would probably say other cities, special tax assessments are granted to developments as a way to entice the new business. For example, San Antonio has been trying to entice PGA to build a second large PGA Village on the north side. I believe that the city was offering a tax assessment to the PGA so they would be able to recoup some of their costs (roads, improvements, etc.). Then, the PGA could add an extra property tax to home buyers in this development. This type of arrangement is commonly asked for by other developers.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:18 AM

The tax rate will depend more on the county and city, not the specific development.

For example, Sugar Land has lower property taxes than neighboring Missouri City and (I think) Houston.

However, every neighborhood/master-planned community will have different annual fees you will have to pay; this is separate from the property tax. This pays for upkeep in the area like landscaping, fences, etc. They usually range from $400-800 depending on the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston