Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 05:25 PM

144 posts, read 235,977 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions on buying an existing home in a developed community vs. buying new home in new community?

I'm debating between buying new in the Bridges on Lake Houston vs. buying a used home in an established neighborhood such as Fall Creek.

Thoughts and pros and cons?

I'm leaning towards buying in Fall Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 08:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Pros and cons on both the neighborhoods and new vs used.

New home (just reverse and flip titles for used home):
Pros - everything is new, you get to pick out more things to tailor it to you
Cons - everything is used (theoretically, shorter life on appliances, roof, ac, etc), no established landscaping, neighborhood and/or street not established with neighbors, no post move-in upgrades

There have been a ton of posts on Fall Creek and a few on The Bridges that will give you the pros and cons of each of those.

Personally, I'd go with The Bridges over Fall Creek, but that is just me.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM

The thing I like about The Bridges vs. Fall Creek is the amount of shopping dining options in close proximity vs. what Fall Creek has to offer.

Plus the surrounding areas are better in my opinion.

One thing that scares me about a new community such as The Bridges is the fact that it is a new community so resale can be a challenge if I decide to sell in the next few years.

Thoughts?

Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreCore View Post
The thing I like about The Bridges vs. Fall Creek is the amount of shopping dining options in close proximity vs. what Fall Creek has to offer.

Plus the surrounding areas are better in my opinion.

One thing that scares me about a new community such as The Bridges is the fact that it is a new community so resale can be a challenge if I decide to sell in the next few years.

Thoughts?
I believe (and I'm no expert) the area will hold value as good as many and better than most suburban locations.

There will be very few "you can bank on it" areas in the suburbs of Houston. Most areas that you can solidly bet on will be inside the loop.

My biggest issue in regards to The Bridges is the train. I've heard, and believe, it's a quite zone (they can't blow their horn), but even without the horn, they're still fairly noisy. At this moment, traffic is also a bit of a concern, but I think it's not going to be much worse than most other locations once the road projects are finished (I discuss those in another thread).

My mom lives next door in Walden, and she loves the location. My brother is in Fall Creek, but they are now entertaining the idea of getting something on the water on Lake Houston.

I think I'll take a quick drive through The Bridges on Wednesday to get another look. I've only driven through it once right after they opened it, and I've gone by jetski to the water front area a couple of times.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 PM

Pedro -- I sincerely appreciate the info along with the fact that you are willing to take a drive thru The Bridges to check it out.

That is awfully kind of you and as always, I respect your opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: