Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 06:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times

Advertisements

I dont recall meeting any Philipinos in Houston,and I have been in Houston 20 years?
Many Vietnamese but no Filipino or Thai?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 07:28 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I dont recall meeting any Philipinos in Houston,and I have been in Houston 20 years?
Many Vietnamese but no Filipino or Thai?
Thats weird.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:26 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Thats weird.
There seem to be A LOT in Pearland. Some in Sugar Land.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
There seem to be A LOT in Pearland. Some in Sugar Land.
I meet a lot in the Texas Medical Center. That’s also where they’re running their Filipinotown

Old 04-22-2021, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 8,164 times
My wife and I will be retiring in early 2023. We have looked at several cities for possible retirement areas. We will be visiting the Houston area on the first week of July just to see the area. Just by watching several videos, the places that interest us are the Katy area, Spring, Tomball, Humble, Porter, and Conroe. Our number one concern is flooding. What was the situation in the southern part of Houston during the recent big storms? We will be retired when we move; we do not need a big house, traffic or school district is no concern to us.

We currently are in Maryland. We have visited the DFW area, Florida, and several cities in NC and SC.

Kumusta sa inyong lahat.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc9797 View Post
My wife and I will be retiring in early 2023. We have looked at several cities for possible retirement areas. We will be visiting the Houston area on the first week of July just to see the area. Just by watching several videos, the places that interest us are the Katy area, Spring, Tomball, Humble, Porter, and Conroe. Our number one concern is flooding. What was the situation in the southern part of Houston during the recent big storms? We will be retired when we move; we do not need a big house, traffic or school district is no concern to us.

We currently are in Maryland. We have visited the DFW area, Florida, and several cities in NC and SC.

Kumusta sa inyong lahat.
None of those cities you mentioned are in Houston proper, much less southern parts of Houston. Are you asking about specific areas south of I-10 in Houston?

House flooding is very hit or miss, sometimes block by block, in the Houston area. A lot depends on proximity to the major bayous or creeks, and the surrounding development. This will hold true in the northern regions you’ve mentioned (Spring, Tomball, etc) as well. My house backs to the near beginning of a “bayou” but is more like a gully (love the privacy). Although the water level rose quite a bit during Harvey, it has never flooded, and in fact has improved in drainage since due to subsequent municipal improvements.

All those areas you mentioned are nice, and will provide good access to some of the world’s best medical care. Katy is probably the most well-developed suburb west of Houston, and the rest provide a more woodsy feel.

You will really need to visit once you’re able. Spend at least a week checking out all the areas. I have friends who retired here, have accessed the medical facilities, and they seem to enjoy it. IAH, Hobby and Galveston all offer many varieties of travel destinations (pre-COVID).

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 8,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
None of those cities you mentioned are in Houston proper, much less southern parts of Houston. Are you asking about specific areas south of I-10 in Houston?

House flooding is very hit or miss, sometimes block by block, in the Houston area. A lot depends on proximity to the major bayous or creeks, and the surrounding development. This will hold true in the northern regions you’ve mentioned (Spring, Tomball, etc) as well. My house backs to the near beginning of a “bayou” but is more like a gully (love the privacy). Although the water level rose quite a bit during Harvey, it has never flooded, and in fact has improved in drainage due to municipal improvements since.

All those areas you mentioned are nice, and will provide good access to some of the world’s best medical care. Katy is probably the most well-developed suburb west of Houston, and the rest provide a more woodsy feel.

You will really need to visit once you’re able. Spend at least a week checking out all the areas. I have friends who retired here, have accessed the medical facilities, and they seem to enjoy it. IAH, Hobby and Galveston all offer many varieties of travel destinations (pre-COVID).

Good luck with your search.
As retirees, we prefer to have a house outside the Houston proper area. We are very much open to any area. As this will be our first visit in the Houston area, I have no clue how big the city is. We will be staying at a hotel near the George Bush airport. How long a drive is it, on a weekend, for me to drive to Pearland?

Old 04-22-2021, 05:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
Quote:
As retirees, we prefer to have a house outside the Houston proper area. We are very much open to any area. As this will be our first visit in the Houston area, I have no clue how big the city is. We will be staying at a hotel near the George Bush airport. How long a drive is it, on a weekend, for me to drive to Pearland?
Not sure, but they are at north-south extremes. Traffic has been increasing regardless of day/time, and weekends may be affected by freeway closures for repairs/roadwork. There are some folks who live in Pearland and vicinity on here, hopefully they can chime in. Best bet is google map right before you hit the road.

Btw, my retired friends live in Katy.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:01 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Houston was majority Visayan until Filipinos transplanted here from the big cities in the North of the U.S. and California.

Quote:
Our number one concern is flooding. What was the situation in the southern part of Houston during the recent big storms? We will be retired when we move; we do not need a big house, traffic or school district is no concern to us.
Generally, look for houses 1 mile or more on either side of the bayou to avoid flooding. If it is a major river then you should stay several miles away to avoid the riverbed (due to the flat land of Houston).

The school district will have an impact on your resell value (for your estate) when the last person leaves the house.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston was majority Visayan until Filipinos transplanted here from the big cities in the North of the U.S. and California.

Generally, look for houses 1 mile or more on either side of the bayou to avoid flooding. If it is a major river then you should stay several miles away to avoid the riverbed (due to the flat land of Houston).

The school district will have an impact on your resell value (for your estate) when the last person leaves the house.
Most recent Filipino have been direct immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston