Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 12:08 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times

Advertisements

Yet another strip mall slated to be replaced in Upper Kirby. 14 story office tower going up at 2415 Westheimer Rd (where Avalon Diner is located).

https://www.2415westheimer.com/

There’s already a boutique 12 story apartment building with ground floor retail coming up next door along with a 38 story mixed use tower around the block at 2811 Kirby with ground floor retail in the works. This area is doing a lot to become an upscale pedestrian friendly neighborhood and is really starting to boom with development.

Credit to Urbannizer on HAIF.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston CORE developments thread-img_0011.jpeg   Houston CORE developments thread-img_0012.jpeg   Houston CORE developments thread-img_0013.jpeg   Houston CORE developments thread-img_0014.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Yet another strip mall slated to be replaced in Upper Kirby. 14 story office tower going up at 2415 Westheimer Rd (where Avalon Diner is located).

There’s already a boutique 12 story apartment building with ground floor retail coming up next door along with a 38 story mixed use tower around the block at 2811 Kirby with ground floor retail in the works. This area is doing a lot to become an upscale pedestrian friendly neighborhood and is really starting to boom with development.

Well, overall the Houston office market (especially the urban core) doesn't need more office inventory (by a long shot), but these sorts of "boutiquey" projects (kind of an oversized boutique building) in high-demand mixed-use walkable locations are still viable. The lease rates will be $$$$.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:47 PM

353 posts, read 127,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Well, overall the Houston office market (especially the urban core) doesn't need more office inventory (by a long shot), but these sorts of "boutiquey" projects (kind of an oversized boutique building) in high-demand mixed-use walkable locations are still viable. The lease rates will be $$$$.
Wasn't a tower in that area geared towards a particular client moving in. I thought Oxy or something was supposed to be moving into a yet to a be built office in that area.

I do like this building and there are dozens of decaying low rise office buildings all over the city.
I know that vacancy rates are high across the board, but I'm hoping that outdated little 4 story office buildings like these:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qqTrSdgKjq21ZKA6A get bulldozed and replaced by housing. I guess when they were built the area was more like the burbs. But those office park campus type buildings makes main streets look less urban.

I know that the link I used isn't in the core, but there are certainly dozens of them in the core.
I also know that the floor space in those tiny buildings don't put a dent in the vacancy rates, but I'm just hoping that the newer class A space in mix used developments will make the old office park buildings unprofitable in hopes of the buildings being redeveloped

Old 04-05-2024, 08:01 AM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Also this one announced a couple weeks ago.

It will replace this on West Gray St

Will also be near the Shops on Gray St

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 04-05-2024 at 08:09 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 11:37 AM

It may take 50 years because Houston is so big, but Houston is sure growing up

Old 04-05-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
It may take 50 years because Houston is so big, but Houston is sure growing up
For the entire city, sure. But filling up Montrose and parts of RO can happen much much quicker. City limit doesn’t affect what happens in the core. People in Montrose aren’t thinking of what happens in Willowbrook. Hence why this thread is what it is.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:24 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post

This comes with ground floor retail for 2 restaurants. Upper Kirby is increasingly becoming more mixed use.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
For the entire city, sure. But filling up Montrose and parts of RO can happen much much quicker. City limit doesn’t affect what happens in the core. People in Montrose aren’t thinking of what happens in Willowbrook. Hence why this thread is what it is.
True, but Houston core is still pretty large. Lots of places go a few miles before they got some natural barrier. An ocean, lake, River, Hill... Houston urban stretches are not hemmed in.

I tend to think of Houston's urban core as that 6mile stretch from UHD Station to TMC Transit center.
I don't think of Greenway or even Upper Kirby as part of the core, but with Montrose filling in, especially that stretch from Montrose to Kirby, it's getting hard to keep the areas separate.

Montrose and River Oaks are one thing, but there is more of the core growing up than just those two.
East Downtown will be an area to watch, then East River and other areas north of the Bayou might be interesting too.

The cow pastures that used to be along Almeda are now heavily developed thanks to the proximity to TMC.

Third ward is gentrifying with townhomes, like west of downtown did 20 years ago. It's only time before mid rise avenues like West Dallas, Waugh, Allen Parkway, Memorial, Washington stat popping up in the 3rd. Scott is already transforming. Emancipation, and Elgin are good prospects too. OST is not technically 3rd ward but I can guarantee that that area is going to develop too.

Uptown is separated from the core, but that cute is growing too. Especially to the South as it consumes Gulfton.

So my point isn't that it's going to take a long time for Houston to fill in, it's more that it's not only filling in but it's expanding. Barring some horrible economic or natural event Houston may have a massive core stretching from MLK/Lockwood to almost uptown.

If there was a rail down Richmond I would already be saying that UK and Greenway are pay off the core because that part of Richmond has already filled in nicely

Old 04-05-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Montrose and River Oaks are one thing, but there is more of the core growing up than just those two.
East Downtown will be an area to watch, then East River and other areas north of the Bayou might be interesting too.
I agree but I’m saying that regardless of your definition of the core, what’s happening in the Montrose or elsewhere in the core has little to do with what happens 10+ miles away. So I could care less if/when Alief and Willowbroom take 100 years to urbanize. That doesn’t hold back what’s happening in Montrose now

Quote:

Uptown is separated from the core, but that cute is growing too. Especially to the South as it consumes Gulfton.
I disagree. Upper Kirby and Uptown are absolutely part of the core

Old 04-05-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I agree but I’m saying that regardless of your definition of the core, what’s happening in the Montrose or elsewhere in the core has little to do with what happens 10+ miles away. So I could care less if/when Alief and Willowbroom take 100 years to urbanize. That doesn’t hold back what’s happening in Montrose now

I disagree. Upper Kirby and Uptown are absolutely part of the core
That's relatively huge though. Downtown Houston to uptown is about the distance from downtown Miami to Hialeah as the crowd flies. Or pretty much the entire city of New Orleans. So what would you say would be included in m the core of Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston