Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 03:54 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
No, I refuse to read publications that MAKE KNOWN their political slant. The link posted was one of them. The Huffington post is another one. Not reading those sources simply means that I know there is a good chance they are going to be half true or false so I dont waste my time.

What drives my attention are things that can be quantified in numbers or science. Not everything can be, so I usually just try to find the most unbiased sources and read those instead. They may still be full of it, but the odds are better.
But something like a political donation is a verifiable fact you can look up no matter the source. It's not like they're saying Soros eats IHOP everyday for breakfast. He might but if you look that up you won't find anything verifying that. If the article also said that then it'd be something you'd be able to determine is likely not true. But a political donation? That's public information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 04:12 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,057,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That's a cop out. Just because you say you don't read either left or right wing publications doesn't make you impartial because pretty much every publication out there has a slant. And many of these publications are owned by the same people pitting sides against each other anyways, therefore the truth is often somewhere in the middle. But besides that you should be able to determine what is BS or not by simply reading and doing a little bit of research. THAT'S how you really look impartial.

Do you know how I found the article on the Statesman site? Well after you and houston-nomad basically called it fake news because you deemed it a right wing source, I just copied this line from the article into my search bar - "$500,000 through the Soros-backed Open Society Policy Center".

If you do it too the first thing that comes up is the Statesman article.
Sure, but it doesn't make the two articles equivalent. One provides facts and relevant context, the other uses the basic element of the story as an excuse to spew opinion.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Sure, but it doesn't make the two articles equivalent. One provides facts and relevant context, the other uses the basic element of the story as an excuse to spew opinion.
The main point of the article is due to the political donation. Both articles pretty much said the same thing in that soros goes after DAs too tough on crime. But you can come up to thay conclusion yourself by looking at the data provided in both articles, that's the beauty of it.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The main point of the article is due to the political donation. Both articles pretty much said the same thing in that soros goes after DAs too tough on crime. But you can come up to thay conclusion yourself by looking at the data provided in both articles, that's the beauty of it.
Totally not true. One article packages the "data" as you suggest; the other explains the reasons that groups like the one Soros is supporting are actually opposed to the referendum item. Context matters. Data, as you say, can be interpreted any number of different ways if you're only seeing a sliver of the picture.

Signed,
a actual historian

Old 10-20-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Totally not true. One article packages the "data" as you suggest; the other explains the reasons that groups like the one Soros is supporting are actually opposed to the referendum item. Context matters. Data, as you say, can be interpreted any number of different ways if you're only seeing a sliver of the picture.

Signed,
a actual historian
The data is simply the money Soros gave out. For the first article you'll have to use your critical thinking brain to see the people he donated to, then research their policies. Everything is not going to be spelled out for you all the time, and honestly you dont have much to stand on here considering you dismissed it outright because it didnt come from a source you like. This happens far too often nowadays. I blame social media and headline news.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The data is simply the money Soros gave out. For the first article you'll have to use your critical thinking brain to see the people he donated to, then research their policies. Everything is not going to be spelled out for you all the time, and honestly you dont have much to stand on here considering you dismissed it outright because it didnt come from a source you like. This happens far too often nowadays. I blame social media and headline news.
Nonsense. I don't have to trust a source when it's not a trusted source. So yeah, I can dismiss something if I don't like the source. It has nothing to do with left or right. If something sounds fishy and doesn't come from a reliable source, I don't believe it, even if I would like to. There's so much fake news out there on garbage websites that you absolutely should dismiss something that doesn't look right, or at least research further if you care enough about the topic.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Nonsense. I don't have to trust a source when it's not a trusted source. So yeah, I can dismiss something if I don't like the source. It has nothing to do with left or right. If something sounds fishy and doesn't come from a reliable source, I don't believe it, even if I would like to. There's so much fake news out there on garbage websites that you absolutely should dismiss something that doesn't look right, or at least research further if you care enough about the topic.
But why does a $500k political donation sound fishy? Whatever dude there's been plenty of people claiming to be impartial who aren't. If this news of the donation came from a source folks with left-leaning beliefs trusted then I bet they could literally say anything and people would believe it. This is exactly what you did when I posted the Statesman version. All of a sudden you believed the donation to be true.

It's always happened but it's been especially evident the past few years. Whereas a source these same people don't trust could be telling the truth and they wouldn't believe it. Last thing I'll say is people put way too much trust in a source versus their own brain being able to determine what's BS and what is not. It's why I don't think youtube should be deleting videos. It should be left to the viewer to decide.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
But why does a $500k political donation sound fishy? Whatever dude there's been plenty of people claiming to be impartial who aren't. If this news of the donation came from a source folks with left-leaning beliefs trusted then I bet they could literally say anything and people would believe it. This is exactly what you did when I posted the Statesman version. All of a sudden you believed the donation to be true.

It's always happened but it's been especially evident the past few years. Whereas a source these same people don't trust could be telling the truth and they wouldn't believe it. Last thing I'll say is people put way too much trust in a source versus their own brain being able to determine what's BS and what is not. It's why I don't think youtube should be deleting videos. It should be left to the viewer to decide.
No, I understand the difference between reputable news sources, where facts are routinely checked, and other news sources, where they are not. It's not rocket science. And as to why it sounded fishy, it's because you don't have to look far to see Soros rolled out as a bogeyman funding every single thing conservatives don't like. So yeah, it's perfectly appropriate to be suspicious when someone yells, "Soros is funding it!!" Because most of the time, it's not true.

Can we stop now? You keep telling me how I should or should not think. And you're wrong, each time. It's getting boring.

Old 10-21-2021, 04:40 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,530,778 times
Can we downvote her this November or that's going to be different election?

Old 10-21-2021, 05:05 PM

15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Article in the Chronicle (linked in the link below) about how bail bondsmen are contributing to the bail problem by dropping their take from 10% to lower numbers, and allowing payment plans A long story about the bail industry – Off the Kuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston