Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 12:27 AM

59 posts, read 32,622 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Longtime on-and-off again Greater Houston are person, am thinking to move back but this time to Sugar Land, which I've never lived in or near so I have no personal experience with the area.

I'm looking at First Colony and Greatwood and wanted to hear any experience.

So far the two give me this impression:

First Colony:
-Established (is this a thing?)
-Close to amenities and Asian businesses (a plus for my wife)
-Houses are older, more telephone lines in the backyard
-Close to power lines that cut through Austin Pkwy.? I tried searching to see
if these are high-tension power lines but have come up empty handed.

Greatwood:
-Bigger, newer houses. Some can be a bit McMansiony
-Fewer businesses nearby (?)
-Possibly better atmosphere
-Farther from Sugar Land amenities
-Slight flooding during Harvey

Anyone else compare these two neighborhoods recently? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 10:13 AM

305 posts, read 265,220 times
First Colony and Greatwood are very similar, as far as the homes - you'll notice a lot of the same builders from the 90s in both neighborhoods. Greatwood is slightly newer, I think it started in 1989, while parts of FC would have started in late 70s I'd guess. FC is definitely larger than GW. Flooding with Harvey happened in both developments (Off Settlers Way in FC and several home in GW). I would say it was minor, but if yours was one of the homes affected, I doubt it felt minor. I actually like the GW doesn't really have any real shopping to speak of - it's basically just the neighborhood of houses and that's it. Shopping/dining is literally two exits up 59, so not a big deal in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:59 PM

694 posts, read 834,984 times
Biggest difference is in School Districts. Greatwood attends the Lamar ISD. First Colony is in Fort Bend ISD.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:30 PM

59 posts, read 32,622 times
Thanks for the replies, I didn't realize the ISDs were different! From what I gather Lamar is quite intense? I'm a Conroe ISD person, I'd say it was OK, not particularly rigorous but pleasant, certainly not a competitive vibe.

I'm surprised Greatwood started around '89 or so, the houses I've seen online all seem a fair bit newer than that. The FC ones are definitely on the older side, sometimes that means more character, sometimes it means spiral staircases (remember those?) and sagging fences, but the location is good. Then again I do like something quieter, originally being from Spring.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:01 AM

694 posts, read 834,984 times
Actually its the other way around...FBISD, especially the schools attended by First Colony are quite intense, Lamar ISD is less so.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:09 AM

305 posts, read 265,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Actually its the other way around...FBISD, especially the schools attended by First Colony are quite intense, Lamar ISD is less so.
While as a whole that's probably true, I'd say specifically the schools GW is zoned to are pretty good. Elementary schools are in the neighborhood, George Ranch High School is rated pretty well if memory serves me correctly. Having attended Clements HS many years ago in FBISD, I'd prefer my child go to GRHS over Clements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston