Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 01:06 PM

62 posts, read 30,444 times

Advertisements

After 10 days of being back, I can say I dearly miss Houston. The drivers were not very aggressive and never honked for no reason. Today I got honked at for no reason, and yesterday too. I am so tempted to want to shout out my window to these aggressive macho male drivers. It's tempting to throw trash at their cars as well.

Texas drivers however are way better. Barely any aggression and in person, people are so nice. Even Dallas drivers are way less aggressive.

Guys, I think I want to move to Houston. Arizona has the most aggressive drivers in America, worse than anywhere. Driving in New York City is better as well as Miami driving.

Arizona has more road rage shootings than Texas and more fatal road rage. Texas has road rage but only when provoked. Here, it's for no reason.

Houston is great. Not sure why it gets bashed so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 01:09 PM

To be fair, the driver who honked today had California plates. Probably born and raised in Phoenix, moved to California and came back is my opinion.

Old 12-19-2022, 01:36 PM

9,937 posts, read 6,651,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastworth View Post
After 10 days of being back, I can say I dearly miss Houston. The drivers were not very aggressive and never honked for no reason. Today I got honked at for no reason, and yesterday too. I am so tempted to want to shout out my window to these aggressive macho male drivers. It's tempting to throw trash at their cars as well.

Texas drivers however are way better. Barely any aggression and in person, people are so nice. Even Dallas drivers are way less aggressive.

Guys, I think I want to move to Houston. Arizona has the most aggressive drivers in America, worse than anywhere. Driving in New York City is better as well as Miami driving.

Arizona has more road rage shootings than Texas and more fatal road rage. Texas has road rage but only when provoked. Here, it's for no reason.

I don’t know much about driving in Phoenix

In terms of aggressiveness, Miami is one of the most aggressive places ever (was just there a few weeks ago and don’t miss that aspect of Miami at all). Dallas is slightly more aggressive than Houston. Those 3 are among the worst in USA (large, car centric low density sunbelt metros tend to have that efffect).

I don’t know much about Phoenix but it fits the formula for aggressive drivers as does the Miami/Houston/Dallas trio for the reasons I mentioned.

But seriously, if you want to avoid aggressive drivers, don’t move to Houston or Dallas or Miami. Why isn’t San Antonio on your radar btw? Sure it’s not the best place to drive but better than these cities I mentioned. And the people are friendlier.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:00 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,246,668 times
Both Phoenix and esp Chicago are worse for driving than Houston and Dallas. DC and Philly can also get extremely aggressive and dangerous with people passing in the right pullover lanes, and i felt like I was going to get run off the road in Metairie (outside New Orleans). People in Houston overall do not drive all that fast if you’ve been around lots of cities, and Hou and Dallas drivers are more skilled than SA and Austin. Now there is a fair amount of erratic driving here— every bad wreck or 1-car wipeout I’ve ever witnessed here was caused by a drunk or machismo Hispanic guy BTW.

But Texas sits in the middle for lots of things including the OP’s initial concern. For practical purposes Texas sits in the middle on most things in general.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Both Phoenix and esp Chicago are worse for driving than Houston and Dallas. DC and Philly can also get extremely aggressive and dangerous with people passing in the right pullover lanes, and i felt like I was going to get run off the road in Metairie (outside New Orleans). People in Houston overall do not drive all that fast if you’ve been around lots of cities, and Hou and Dallas drivers are more skilled than SA and Austin. Now there is a fair amount of erratic driving here— every bad wreck or 1-car wipeout I’ve ever witnessed here was caused by a drunk or machismo Hispanic guy BTW.

But Texas sits in the middle for lots of things including the OP’s initial concern. For practical purposes Texas sits in the middle on most things in general.
Yeah, I kind of figured Phoenix is worse than Houston and Dallas with driving, despite our roads being nice and wide. I just don't know why Phoenix drivers are just so aggressive and rude. I wonder if it's just the natural culture of driving here. I feel like culturally, Phoenix is just a rude cultured city, famously rude like Miami and Chicago. Yesterday, I had not one, but two stuck up mean karens in my car when doing lyft. One karen was so rude, I wanted to tell her to be nicer to me. The other karen and her husband who was a kevin were just so stuck up. I began to recollect some of the positive memories I had in Houston when people were so nice and warm. Not once did I ever anyone so stuck up in Houston.

I like Phoenix for it's weather, nice grid system roads, scenery, airport, shopping, about everything else except the rude culture out here. I feel like people are like those at that one restaurant where the staff has to be rude because that is what the restaurant is all about.

Other than rudeness, Phoenix would be a better fit as a city for me. But because people are just so aggressively and horrifically rude, I'm beginning to rethink my future here. For those who say it's friendly out here, what is it that makes you think it's friendly? I have no friends here, it's impossible to even strike a conversation with someone, and everyone goes to work and goes home. No neighborly interactions, no saying hi to people in the park or on a trail because they ignore you and look at you like your crazy, and absolutely no politeness. Other than this aspect, Phoenix would be a good city, but these people spoil it for nice and kind people like me.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:54 PM

I've thought about San Antonio, but I don't think I can live in a city without a light rail. It's why I'm looking into Houston or Dallas. I highly doubt things will get better in Phoenix. I won't ever make new friends, I won't ever date because women here are very mean and shallow and only care about looks, and things will remain stagant.

I'm not sure where else I could consider that has the same climate that Phoenix has. I've thought about Las Vegas, and even though family has been guiding me away from Vegas, I've thought about trying it out. Forget California, too expensive and I can't ever get a state licensure for my career there.

Las Vegas might be better due to climate, but I haven't spent time there other than the strip. I'd have to spend time outside the strip to see what it's like. Las Vegas's light rail is a monorail, which is really cool.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:47 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post

I agree. I believe Houston drivers aren't aggressive per se but there seems to be more bad drivers. Felt like wrecks are more common there.

That said I think OP has an idealized vision of Houston that came from a short visit and is bound to be disappointed, but I guess a lot of moves are like that.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I agree. I believe Houston drivers aren't aggressive per se but there seems to be more bad drivers. Felt like wrecks are more common there.

That said I think OP has an idealized vision of Houston that came from a short visit and is bound to be disappointed, but I guess a lot of moves are like that.
I just think Houston will be really nice. One of the people at work said the people were awesome in Houston. He didn't say Arizona had the rudest people. He said Florida does. I can't speak for Florida since it's been years that I've been there. I've read that Florida has rude people, but like I said, I've only been there as a tourist and slept in a resort and did touristy things there. That is not an experience.

It's not that I don't like Phoenix, it's that I have nobody here and I get really emotionally sick. All my friends live in other states. And when I have to deal with rude people, it makes me feel far lonelier, especially if they are rude for no reason. Like I wasn't in your way and you say excuse me? That's just mean. And if someone starts an altercation, I'll pick up and move to Houston where people don't start altercations.

If things improve with my life, I might be more inclined to stay.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:51 PM

511 posts, read 402,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t know much about driving in Phoenix

In terms of aggressiveness, Miami is one of the most aggressive places ever (was just there a few weeks ago and don’t miss that aspect of Miami at all). Dallas is slightly more aggressive than Houston. Those 3 are among the worst in USA (large, car centric low density sunbelt metros tend to have that efffect).

I don’t know much about Phoenix but it fits the formula for aggressive drivers as does the Miami/Houston/Dallas trio for the reasons I mentioned.

But seriously, if you want to avoid aggressive drivers, don’t move to Houston or Dallas or Miami. Why isn’t San Antonio on your radar btw? Sure it’s not the best place to drive but better than these cities I mentioned. And the people are friendlier.
I'm beginning to think maybe not even slightly, but just horribly bad in my experience. Again, it's just a personal opinion of mine, but taking a look at the way the highways are designed in Dallas compared to those of Houston, things are starting to make sense to me.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 9,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastworth View Post

NYC drivers are mostly fine, just little tolerance for clueless drivers on the road. Most other cities I worry more about the random crazy act someone around me is going to pull not paying attention. Denver is scary for this reason. Road rage incidents do come up on the news here in Houston and usually there's gunfire associated but I think the prevelance of guns actually holds down the # of incidents... do you really want to start something with someone down here over getting cut off when it's 50/50 they are armed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston