Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 02:11 AM

59 posts, read 32,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
How hard are you supposed to look. You go to Galveston to lose yourself to vacate your thoughts not to investigate thug activity that could be found not far from where any of us live as well.
I don't know, it seemed to always be a little too prevalent in Galveston proper. Wonder what it would take to clean that place up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 07:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalero View Post
I don't know, it seemed to always be a little too prevalent in Galveston proper. Wonder what it would take to clean that place up.
Galveston is transitioning to a better place, but it has always been a gem of an amenity for the Greater Houston area. New Cruise Lines, new Hotels and other commercial developments and gentrification of what is one of the great reservoirs of Victorian architecture outside of Key West. The Hotel Galvez, and the Tremont renovations show Galveston has the bones that most cities that are much larger do not have.

The cost of living on the coast is continuously increasing. Property values and insurance rates not to mention the cost of rebuilding after bad weather events will eventually gentrify that thuggish element off the island and unto the mainland.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:31 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Galveston is a grotty beach town where they drive up and down all day on the beach (except for Stewart Beach up at the head of the island). Aside from a few fun places and the Seawall, there's little for the non-drunk adult. It's only an hour or two away depending on where you start in Houston.

Corpus is an actual city with a generally better experience. If you avoid spring break time, Port A is pretty nice (though still driving on the beach). It's a

South Padre is very nice, but a long haul from Houston.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Galveston is a grotty beach town where they drive up and down all day on the beach (except for Stewart Beach up at the head of the island). Aside from a few fun places and the Seawall, there's little for the non-drunk adult. It's only an hour or two away depending on where you start in Houston.

Corpus is an actual city with a generally better experience. If you avoid spring break time, Port A is pretty nice (though still driving on the beach). It's a

What does "actual" city mean? It's telling that when people make these comparisons between Galveston and Corpus, they never mention that at its heart Corpus is a refinery town. Corpus Christi Bay is for its size is more industrial than Galveston Bay is. As mentioned in previous post Corpus is good for a change of pace but not worth the time on a regular basis.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:52 AM

554 posts, read 294,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

I disagree… Corpus doesn’t have that many interesting, beach-y things to do. Visiting the Selena museum, sure, but other than that who wants to go to a mall when at the beach? Galveston has much better eating & shopping in a more historic beach front feel. Even if it is a little run down in some areas.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:19 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
If you want a quiet and scenic coastal place to stay for a few days on your way from Houston to Padre Island, stop at Goose Island State Park just north of Rockport, TX (also scenic but damaged bad by a hurricane a few years ago). Great place for fishing, boating, sailing and bird watching. If you don't catch your own fish, stop at a fresh fish market in Rockport or Aransas Pass.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/goose-island

Old 03-03-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If you want a quiet and scenic coastal place to stay for a few days on your way from Houston to Padre Island, stop at Goose Island State Park just north of Rockport, TX (also scenic but damaged bad by a hurricane a few years ago). Great place for fishing, boating, sailing and bird watching. If you don't catch your own fish, stop at a fresh fish market in Rockport or Aransas Pass.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/goose-island
I don't know, a park where the biggest attraction seems to be a big oak tree doesn't sound all that "scenic" to me? The only pics the State parks website post of the park is of that tree.....

Old 03-03-2023, 01:36 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I don't know, a park where the biggest attraction seems to be a big oak tree doesn't sound all that "scenic" to me? The only pics the State parks website post of the park is of that tree.....
If you read some of the 1500 reviews on Google Maps of the state park (most are 5 star ratings) the comments say there is more than an oak tree to look at and many things to do if you are an outdoor lover. I just threw out a suggestion of a place that I found nice which I have actually visited and camped at. Maybe someone that likes good campgrounds and has actually been there would have something positive to add.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If you read some of the 1500 reviews on Google Maps of the state park (most are 5 star ratings) the comments say there is more than an oak tree to look at and many things to do if you are an outdoor lover. I just threw out a suggestion of a place that I found nice which I have actually visited and camped at. Maybe someone that likes good campgrounds and has actually been there would have something positive to add.
Ok the topic of the thread is, is Corpus or points south worth the trip rather than just going to Galveston. I would put your suggestion in that category of it's worth a one-time trip to check it out, but probably not worth passing up more local options on a regular basis. Have a nice weekend.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:34 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That One 2000's Baby View Post
Just curious

Galveston is borderline apart of Houston, have a long beach as well as a pier amusement park

the latter, neither Corpus Christi nor South Padre Island have
South padre has prettier water but other than that, it is a very short strip of similar restaurants and lots of bars. If you are beyond bar hopping, its fun for a weekend but not a long, extended stay. I get bored. Galveston has a much better dining sections and some entertainment and historical options. If the beach is your thing and you plan to spend thr majority of your time at the beach — then South Padre is the place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston