Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 03:09 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Ok I'll bite. Which neighborhood?
I live in Willowbend/Willow Meadows and I had three different neighbors knock on my door when I moved in. I paid it forward when weve had new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 05:07 PM

126 posts, read 72,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I live in Willowbend/Willow Meadows and I had three different neighbors knock on my door when I moved in. I paid it forward when weve had new ones.
Thank you again for telling me about the great sense of community. I do hope apartments have that same community in Houston. I already love Houston!

Old 03-16-2023, 09:49 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
I bet in Houston, at least drivers don't roll down their windows and shout at you. I'm sure they don't cuss you out or give you the finger out their window. I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.
No. Those people would be shot within a month.

People here have more sense than that.

I go with the previous poster about the drivers. Definitely aggressive, but generally nice.

Old 03-16-2023, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No. Those people would be shot within a month.

People here have more sense than that.

I go with the previous poster about the drivers. Definitely aggressive, but generally nice.
Yeah, totally agree. I hope I can find work in Houston. I just submitted my first application today, even though it's 5 months away. I was advised to start early since I am relocating. It would give me time to find a place to live at too.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
So I might be able to move out to Houston, TX this May. Either in May or August, I am going to be moving to Houston. Life in Phoenix has been very hard and rough. From the very rude and mean locals to the most passive aggressive drivers in America, it has been very stressful. Why just today, a local Phoenix douchebag blocked me from getting into the right lane and began racing with me. The driver behind me aggressively tailgated me and put his hand up like I was driving too slow, and mind you I was going 20 above the speed limit. I had to speed up close to 100 mph to be able to switch. Phoenix has very passive-aggressive drivers and people.

With that said, how will the transition be to Houston? I am aware that people are very nice and kind, drivers are not so aggressive and they drive like they do in the east coast and in California, and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. Tall trees with creeks of water, and people go out of their way to help you there. Houston is much less stressful and more laid back than Phoenix. Yes, traffic exists, but nobody constantly switches lanes, and Texans are very kind drivers. I imagine my neighbors will introduce themselves the moment I move in. Making friends will be very easy, as Houston locals are sweet and gentle people. Phoenix locals tend to be more violent and passive-aggressive towards each other. The gun culture in Houston and Texas is not as tense as it is in Arizona. Hardly any road rage unless provoked, whereas in Phoenix, you can get into an altercation for going the posted speed limit and get cut off. No altercations in Houston is my guess. Better customer service, no bad attitudes, and overall a way better city than Phoenix. Also I bet better public transportation too.

This is what I imagine the transition to be like. And I plan to live in either Sugar Land, Missosuri City, Northwest Houston, or The Woodlands.

Am I spot on about the transition or is there more I need to know?
When I visit Phoenix, I find the driving there to be much more friendly than Houston and I am a native Houstonian. Everything you describe in Phoenix is pretty much the same here in Houston except we are greener and bldg are some other color than beige stucco. . Your neighbors may or may not introduce themselves. That’s more common in a new subdivision where everyone is new. That doesn’t happen so often in established neighborhoods.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:48 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
If you move here, I hope you’re happy. What do you like to do in your free time? Hopefully you can live near what you enjoy but also near your employer. Ask here for safe areas once you know where you will be working.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:44 AM

2,853 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
When I visit Phoenix, I find the driving there to be much more friendly than Houston and I am a native Houstonian. Everything you describe in Phoenix is pretty much the same here in Houston except we are greener and bldg are some other color than beige stucco. . Your neighbors may or may not introduce themselves. That’s more common in a new subdivision where everyone is new. That doesn’t happen so often in established neighborhoods.
I thought it's the opposite. I used to visit friends who live in new developments in Cinco Ranch, Cy-Fair or the new patio homes in Spring Branch and they mostly said they didn't know their neighbors. The only time I had people knock on my door when I moved into a place was over twenty years ago in New Jersey. That was a cul-de-sac with low diversity and low turnover. I had lived in 3 houses and 2 apartments in the Houston area and only knew the neighbor's names from running into them while raking leaves or whatever. I wouldn't say Texans are less friendly but their default norm seems to be to leave each other alone. I would also expect the 'welcome to the neighborhood' business to be way less common in areas with high international diversity.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:14 AM

557 posts, read 295,110 times
If you have elderly neighbors, they will probably introduce themselves & get to know you more than if your neighbors are adults working a full time job. That’s been my experience at least.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:10 PM

3,885 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2000 View Post
I honestly don't think drivers in Houston are that bad. I drive a lot... I tend to drive defensively, but I rarely have had issues. In fact, people tend to be pretty nice on the roads in the Houston metro...letting me in when i need to change lanes, etc. I've driven all throughout the States, and I think that the toughest place to drive for me so far has been Boston, with NYC a close second.
I've heard that a lot concerning Boston.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
For some reason, I pictured Houston to be like the deep southeast like Charlotte, NC or the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina. It doesn't sound like that's the case. I'm also reading online now that Texas and Arizona are similar. I also transported somebody who grew up in Phoenix and now lives in Dallas, and she said the people in both Phoenix and Dallas are similar and the drivers are worse in Dallas, but that's a comparison to Dallas.

I think my view of Texas was pictured wrong now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston