Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2023, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,821 times

Advertisements

I’m almost 30, gay, I’m a musician and I love live music especially jazz but I love so sorts of interesting and avant-garde stuff, I love theatre (and not just touring broadway musicals), I was deeply involved in far left politics and activism in the city that I was living in and want to be politically active, and I’m on a flexible but modest budget.

I actually lived in Houston for a large part of my childhood and went to Clear Lake High but I’ve been living away from the area, first in Austin and then in Chicago for nearly 11 years. I want to be closer to my parents who live in Galveston but I don’t think that I could live in Galveston. As I said I really like live music and theatre and being part of a community and I think that living in the city is essential. I know about Montrose and Houston Heights but I would like other options, both because those areas are pricey but also because it’s important to me that I don’t have to be confined to a gay district and so I want to know if there’s elsewhere in the city where an unashamedly qu33r (why is that word censored?) person can just live their life without getting dirty looks, nasty comments or serious risk of violence; I know that to an extent there’s no escaping that and that there’s deep seated homophobia even in the most so called progressive places like Chicago or San Francisco, but of course there are levels of risk and the sad reality is that to simply exist as a gay person one has to accept some level of oppression and risk in their daily lives.

Anyhow, I would like to get a 1 bedroom apartment that is cat friendly (is this hard to find in Houston?) and preferably around $1200, I can go higher if I must and certainly would like to go lower if possible. Where should I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 08:00 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,818,177 times
The big cities in Texas is not like crazy image portrayed in politics.

A gay person in Houston or Dallas can liveas openly as they want to just like any other big city.

Montrose is not the gay center it was 20 years ago. Houston's gay population is no longer centralized.

I am not sure if $1200 will get you there but I would look at East Downtown. It is an up an coming area and it is getting more popular with the arts.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:51 AM

5,617 posts, read 4,951,353 times
East Downtown was mentioned (also known as EaDo - don't hate me, I didn't choose the name), and I agree. Also check Museum Park (just north of Hermann Park), Rice Village, Timbergrove / Lazybrook, Garden Oaks / Oak Forest ("GOOF"), the Holcombe Blvd. corridor, and areas near Uptown (which you probably grew up knowing as the "Galleria Area", which many still use).

I'm gay, and can say that the gay population is really spread around anymore, partly because Montrose became too expensive and had too much competition from the general population after it became trendy. GOOF and Westbury became major destinations for gay homebuyers - however, you won't find nice rentals in the latter one.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,489,521 times
$1200 is a low budget for any of the trendy amenity rich inner loop neighborhoods. $1500-1700 is probably more realistic. I like Montrose but Houston’s gay bars are kinda fading. I guess that’s true of most cities nationwide. It’s still a great neighborhood and it’s nice there are multiple different bars within walking distance. I had fun visiting there last summer, but every year the bars seem to get less busy. The NPR station down there was really good, remember that standing out to me.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-24-2023 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-28-2023, 10:20 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leflaneur View Post
I’m almost 30, gay, I’m a musician and I love live music especially jazz but I love so sorts of interesting and avant-garde stuff, I love theatre (and not just touring broadway musicals), I was deeply involved in far left politics and activism in the city that I was living in and want to be politically active, and I’m on a flexible but modest budget.

I actually lived in Houston for a large part of my childhood and went to Clear Lake High but I’ve been living away from the area, first in Austin and then in Chicago for nearly 11 years. I want to be closer to my parents who live in Galveston but I don’t think that I could live in Galveston. As I said I really like live music and theatre and being part of a community and I think that living in the city is essential. I know about Montrose and Houston Heights but I would like other options, both because those areas are pricey but also because it’s important to me that I don’t have to be confined to a gay district and so I want to know if there’s elsewhere in the city where an unashamedly qu33r (why is that word censored?) person can just live their life without getting dirty looks, nasty comments or serious risk of violence; I know that to an extent there’s no escaping that and that there’s deep seated homophobia even in the most so called progressive places like Chicago or San Francisco, but of course there are levels of risk and the sad reality is that to simply exist as a gay person one has to accept some level of oppression and risk in their daily lives.

Anyhow, I would like to get a 1 bedroom apartment that is cat friendly (is this hard to find in Houston?) and preferably around $1200, I can go higher if I must and certainly would like to go lower if possible. Where should I look?
I would run HAR.com for 77023. There are a lot of older, quaint duplexes and such in the greater Eastwood/Broadmoor/Lawndale area. Keeps you very close-in, eclectic, glbt friendly. I would recommend checking out Bohemio's coffee shop over there. http://bohemeos.com It would also give you better access to the Gulf Freeway to get to Galveston.

Last edited by modster; 03-28-2023 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-30-2023, 07:23 PM

1,555 posts, read 782,060 times
It does not matter. Anywhere is good. It is not illegal to be Gay in USA.

$1.2k apt is pretty much on a little high end. You should get it for $1k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston