Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2023, 03:22 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times

Advertisements

Can y'all please explain this trend in Houston toward "vibe dining"? Apparently it's some concept that plays loud music with a DJ while you're eating your dinner, and people basically dance at their tables?
  1. Loud restaurants are already irritating and destroy the ability to socialize with your dining partners - why add loud music to the mix?
  2. How is someone flailing their arms and hips and "twerking" over my dinner plate supposed to making dining enjoyable? It seems like a perfectly horrible time for anyone.
  3. I bet the "music" is just some collection of electronic digitally-created noises than in no way resemble actual music, making it all that much worse.
  4. I am skeptical that the food quality will match the prices, though perhaps people pay extra for this awful atmosphere?

Is this something unique to Houston or happening in other places? I sure hope that this isn't something Houston is a leader in, that would be a terrible embarrassment. But I keep seeing media articles about new "vibe dining" joints opening - there's an announcement of one just today, in Montrose. Why can't this stay confined to a very few "Sunday Funday" places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 10:37 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Probably not the type of establishments that you’re talking about but dining becoming louder is not a Houston specific trend. Upscale dining has changed over the years. Morton’s steakhouse was once the desired ambiance. Now it’s Steak 48, Mastro’s and so forth. The 50s style diner was quiet and “elegant”. Modern Upscale dining has became vibrant and upbeat. Perhaps “flashy”

Twerking on the other hand is not something I’ve ever seen at a dinner. Just because music is playing doesn’t make it a night club.

Old 09-01-2023, 03:04 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Probably not the type of establishments that you’re talking about but dining becoming louder is not a Houston specific trend. Upscale dining has changed over the years. Morton’s steakhouse was once the desired ambiance. Now it’s Steak 48, Mastro’s and so forth. The 50s style diner was quiet and “elegant”. Modern Upscale dining has became vibrant and upbeat. Perhaps “flashy”

Twerking on the other hand is not something I’ve ever seen at a dinner. Just because music is playing doesn’t make it a night club.
The news of Neiman Marcus potentially being acquired by the Hudson Bay Co (Saks Fifth Ave) reiterates my point here. The trend in upscale hospitality has went a different direction. Neiman Marcus is being replaced by Saks. Morton’s for Steak 48/Mastro’s. It’s a more vibrant environment that’s desired today. Houstonian Hotel out for the Post Oak Hotel. It’s all gone a different direction.

Not sure about the twerking at tables part though. If you don’t mind me asking where you got that part from?

Old 09-02-2023, 10:27 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Can y'all please explain this trend in Houston toward "vibe dining"? Apparently it's some concept that plays loud music with a DJ while you're eating your dinner, and people basically dance at their tables?
  1. Loud restaurants are already irritating and destroy the ability to socialize with your dining partners - why add loud music to the mix?
  2. How is someone flailing their arms and hips and "twerking" over my dinner plate supposed to making dining enjoyable? It seems like a perfectly horrible time for anyone.
  3. I bet the "music" is just some collection of electronic digitally-created noises than in no way resemble actual music, making it all that much worse.
  4. I am skeptical that the food quality will match the prices, though perhaps people pay extra for this awful atmosphere?

Is this something unique to Houston or happening in other places? I sure hope that this isn't something Houston is a leader in, that would be a terrible embarrassment. But I keep seeing media articles about new "vibe dining" joints opening - there's an announcement of one just today, in Montrose. Why can't this stay confined to a very few "Sunday Funday" places?
I think this is more of a Black cultural experience than just strictly Houston. There has been a recent trend of more Black owned restaurants popping up with a club like atmosphere or vibe dining restaurants. Honestly it's not my thing at all. Usually the food is mediocre, the music is extremely loud as you say, food overpriced, only valet parking,etc. They definitely put the vibe before dining for a reason. But I get it, these vibe dining establishments are geared mostly towards singles, 20 something year olds and people into the club lifestyle. Back in my younger days I probably would like these kind of spots way more than I do now.

I'm more laid back and a father of 2 in my late 30s so yeah I'm good on these type of spots.

But yeah Houston and Atlanta seem to be the 2 top cities for vibe dining scene right now. Just give me a nice mature Black owned restaurant w/ some low volume music in the background and not trying to overcharge for vibes and valet parking.

Here's a video of a female vlogger going to nothing but vibe dining spots in Houston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WpRoyJOX0

Old 09-04-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The news of Neiman Marcus potentially being acquired by the Hudson Bay Co (Saks Fifth Ave) reiterates my point here. The trend in upscale hospitality has went a different direction. Neiman Marcus is being replaced by Saks. Morton’s for Steak 48/Mastro’s. It’s a more vibrant environment that’s desired today. Houstonian Hotel out for the Post Oak Hotel. It’s all gone a different direction.

Not sure about the twerking at tables part though. If you don’t mind me asking where you got that part from?
It was more assuming - why would you pump loud, "thumping" dance music into a dining area if people aren't expected to dance? It doesn't make sense.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I think this is more of a Black cultural experience than just strictly Houston. There has been a recent trend of more Black owned restaurants popping up with a club like atmosphere or vibe dining restaurants. Honestly it's not my thing at all. Usually the food is mediocre, the music is extremely loud as you say, food overpriced, only valet parking,etc. They definitely put the vibe before dining for a reason. But I get it, these vibe dining establishments are geared mostly towards singles, 20 something year olds and people into the club lifestyle. Back in my younger days I probably would like these kind of spots way more than I do now.

I'm more laid back and a father of 2 in my late 30s so yeah I'm good on these type of spots.

But yeah Houston and Atlanta seem to be the 2 top cities for vibe dining scene right now. Just give me a nice mature Black owned restaurant w/ some low volume music in the background and not trying to overcharge for vibes and valet parking.

Here's a video of a female vlogger going to nothing but vibe dining spots in Houston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WpRoyJOX0
Oh I didn't know this was a Black culture thing, which as a middle-aged Anglo guy I know little to nothing about (as if you couldn't tell).

One of the places in that video was obviously a "Sunday Funday" type place, which I did know about as a gay man (though I've honestly not ever been to one). Another looked to be a bar, albeit perhaps one that has food (basically, a pub)? The others, I couldn't believe they were restaurants, they looked like nightclubs, the music and crowd noise was so loud you couldn't hear the narrator, dancing on the way to the restroom?, "good for photos"? Ugh, the appeal completely escapes me...and I bet they charge a pretty penny!

Old 09-05-2023, 12:27 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
Overpriced venues - bottom line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston