Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 07:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,527,272 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if squatters can show up at an owner-occupied house with a fake lease and demand owners to leave? Seems like in most cases squatters are very kind and sneak in empty houses. But squatters have rights in states other than Florida and in most cases they don't get what they are allowed to by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 07:53 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
I have been hearing a lot about Squatters taking over homes. This is specially common in blue states like NY and CA.

I live in Houston. What exactly is the difference between Squatters vs Trespasser?

If I go for a vacation for one week and come back to find someone living in my house. Can I forcefully kick that person out?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?
Happens in red states like Montana. My neighbor is dealing with it right now.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:05 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Most Americans have bigger issues than “somebody moving into their 2nd home”

Old 04-02-2024, 07:49 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,702 times
Shouldn't be that complicated...

Do you have a lease agreement in place? Is it valid? Are you breaking any of the outlined rules?

No lease, then you are out. Broke the rules, out, etc, etc.
Should also be a law that a landlord must have a legal agreement in place with said occupant. This covers both sides from the start and there is no wishy washy bs.

People shouldn't be able to break your window, come in and claim they are squatting because you went on a vacation or were in the hospital for an extended period of time.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:28 AM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Most Americans have bigger issues than “somebody moving into their 2nd home”
Yea but it doesn't make it any less of a concern. How would you feel if you put in the extra work, time and effort necessary to buy a secondary home and suddenly some bum decides its okay for him to occupy it or make it impossible for you to rent, lease or sale leaving you on the hook for all property related expenses (taxes, mortgage and possibly utilities) while he lives there for free?

Old 04-02-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yea but it doesn't make it any less of a concern. How would you feel if you put in the extra work, time and effort necessary to buy a secondary home and suddenly some bum decides its okay for him to occupy it or make it impossible for you to rent, lease or sale leaving you on the hook for all property related expenses (taxes, mortgage and possibly utilities) while he lives there for free?
I'm poor, I'm never going to have that problem

Old 04-02-2024, 09:45 AM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
I'm poor, I'm never going to have that problem
Wealth is a choice.. or atleast it is for now. If your mindset is stuck on poor, you'll always be there..I used to make less than $40k a year and needed a $80k surgery which was not going to be covered by insurance. I thought I was never going to be able to afford it. I started busting my nads off and increasing my skillset and was able to appeal to a broader array of higher paying jobs. Over time I increased my salary from $40k to over $400k.

Don't assume that just because someone is wealthy that they are privileged. That is false. Privileged is the definition of someone being able to obtain something that is unobtainable for anyone else but himself which came through no sacrifice or time spent through skill progression, usually through heirloom. but wealth is not unobtainable.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:31 PM

257 posts, read 134,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If they claim to have a lease, the police will tell you it's a civil matter.
In general, from friends who own property, forcible eviction is illegal in Texas. You will have to do a judicial eviction.
The 30 day thing is how long a squatter has to occupy a property to gain certain rights.
Contact a property attorney to get a clear answer.
Within the past month Florida has made squatting a felony, and they've also made it a felony to present an erroneous lease.

It works in both directions though, where if someone does have a legitimate lease it's just as much a felony for the landlord to claim that the lease is fake in an effort to kick them out. Of course few sane landlords would risk their property and engage in that kind of behavior, but it is fair to have that provision in your housing laws.

Mostly this law is going to be a strong deterrent to squatters and potential squatters doing what they do. I also read that local Sheriff's offices are directed ("shall", as in not "should" or "may") to return the property over to the legitimate owner immediately.

I imagine squatting is going to become a thing of the past in Florida. Solid laws on the books make criminals take notice, and many of these squatters are going to pack their bags and head to more lenient, more criminal-friendly states like Colorado, Oregon, and California.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Wealth is a choice..
Every single person I've known that says "I became wealthy by working hard, anybody else can do it"
Later on I found out that his/her family has money and he/she was getting help from them the whole time

Life is much easier when you can live at your parents house for 3-5 years to save for down payment for a house
Or when your parents give you their car or a few thousand dollars

Last edited by Dopo; 04-03-2024 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 03:59 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,527,272 times
Quote:
Every single person I've known that says "I became wealthy by working hard, anybody else can do it"
Later on I found out that his/her family has money and he/she was getting help from them the whole time

Life is much easier when you can live at your parents house for 3-5 years to save for down payment for a house
Or when your parents give you their car or a few thousand dollars
So what? You don't even want to try?
Constant whining is easier I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston