Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2024, 10:36 AM

18,143 posts, read 25,340,169 times

Advertisements

And this is why lots of people don't blindly "support the blue"
I'll support good cops, but I'm not going to blindly support all of them

HPD Chief Troy Finner resigns amid suspended-cases scandal

Chief Troy Finner retired Wednesday from the Houston Police Department in a late-night resignation given to Mayor John Whitmire amid an ongoing probe into how the department has suspended thousands of criminal investigations, according to media reports.
At issue is an internal department computer code that police used in 264,000 cases to suspend investigations due to a lack of personnel. The crimes included roughly 4,000 sexual assault cases.
Finner’s sudden departure came after local media obtained an email that showed Finner had been aware of that code as early as 2018. Finner had previously said he learned of the code in 2021.
In a late-night email to city employees, Whitmire named Assistant Police Chief Larry Satterwhite as acting chief of police, saying he had full confidence in Satterwhite’s abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 11:04 AM

9,954 posts, read 6,666,570 times
While Whitmire’s traffic lanes obsession is annoying, I do respect that he’s taking a long term approach at cleaning up the mess at HPD rather than doing some lazy “start from the top” thing

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,042,438 times
“Everybody is looking at me” Dallas has put other cities on notice not to come after their police chief Eddie Garcia.

“Dallas’ top administrative official said late Wednesday that other cities should “turn around and go home” if they’re interested in pursuing police Chief Eddie García.

The public statement by interim City Manager Kimberly Bizor Tolbert came shortly after reports surfaced that Dallas’ top cop is being courted by city officials in Houston and Austin, each of which has an interim police chief.”

I seriously doubt Whitmire is “courting” the Dallas police chief. Whitmire’s expertise is in criminal justice in Texas. Garcia came from San Jose and really hasn’t been in Dallas that long.

Houston already had a Cuban-American police chief that was a disaster. Garcia is Puerto-Rican American. Personally I would prefer an internal candidate with Houston roots.

Old Today, 03:17 AM

3,085 posts, read 8,441,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
And this is why lots of people don't blindly "support the blue"
I'll support good cops, but I'm not going to blindly support all of them

HPD Chief Troy Finner resigns amid suspended-cases scandal

Chief Troy Finner retired Wednesday from the Houston Police Department in a late-night resignation given to Mayor John Whitmire amid an ongoing probe into how the department has suspended thousands of criminal investigations, according to media reports.
At issue is an internal department computer code that police used in 264,000 cases to suspend investigations due to a lack of personnel. The crimes included roughly 4,000 sexual assault cases.
Finner’s sudden departure came after local media obtained an email that showed Finner had been aware of that code as early as 2018. Finner had previously said he learned of the code in 2021.
In a late-night email to city employees, Whitmire named Assistant Police Chief Larry Satterwhite as acting chief of police, saying he had full confidence in Satterwhite’s abilities.

Where I agree that good men and women in Law Enforcement, and their good staff personnel, should be fully supported I for one do not know every LEO out there (know very few in fact) and as a result blind support is needed until proven otherwise. Any citizen, as well as LEO members, who know of actual police misconduct should make it known to their upper echelon to ensure we only keep the good members. Unfortunately many are to afraid of retribution or simply won't take the time to do what is necessary which is report the types of LEO we do not want to keep.

I am not aware of all the details of this incident but would be interested in knowing if in 2021 once Finner claims he was made aware of the issue did he do anything to stop it? Also there was a claimed 2018 email where Finner supposedly commented on the practice of suspending a case as unacceptable. However was it then that he was made aware of this practice as the article does not display the email and does not specifically state he commented on the practice of using this "computer code"? If he was aware of the use of this "computer code" in 2018 did any LEO or other push this issue to ensure his upper echelon knew it was occurring? Here again it is not just the responsibility of the citizen but also of LEO and their support staff to ensure these type of incidents are brought to the appropriate persons attention.

If this was a cover up by Finner since 2021, or even 2018, then Finner never should have been allowed to retire and instead should have been fired and lost his pension and benefits!

Old Today, 04:50 AM

18,143 posts, read 25,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
If this was a cover up by Finner since 2021, or even 2018, then Finner never should have been allowed to retire and instead should have been fired and lost his pension and benefits!
Agree

Old Today, 06:26 AM

15,561 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Where I agree that good men and women in Law Enforcement, and their good staff personnel, should be fully supported I for one do not know every LEO out there (know very few in fact) and as a result blind support is needed until proven otherwise. Any citizen, as well as LEO members, who know of actual police misconduct should make it known to their upper echelon to ensure we only keep the good members. Unfortunately many are to afraid of retribution or simply won't take the time to do what is necessary which is report the types of LEO we do not want to keep.

I am not aware of all the details of this incident but would be interested in knowing if in 2021 once Finner claims he was made aware of the issue did he do anything to stop it? Also there was a claimed 2018 email where Finner supposedly commented on the practice of suspending a case as unacceptable. However was it then that he was made aware of this practice as the article does not display the email and does not specifically state he commented on the practice of using this "computer code"? If he was aware of the use of this "computer code" in 2018 did any LEO or other push this issue to ensure his upper echelon knew it was occurring? Here again it is not just the responsibility of the citizen but also of LEO and their support staff to ensure these type of incidents are brought to the appropriate persons attention.

I am pretty sure that earned pension benefits cannot be stripped from police officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston