Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 08:24 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,989,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Went to both Tomball and Spring over the weekend. Not completely intentionally but took the opportunity while I was that way. I always wanted to try Tejas Chocolate + BBQ which is in Downtown Tomball so I finally made the move.

Old Town Spring >>>> Downtown Tomball.

Tomball has more potential but Old Town Spring is just so much further along. Maybe being sandwiched between Houston and The Woodlands helps. I don’t know. But it does have a lot of pedestrians there and maintains its old world charm very well. Old Town Spring is very worth checking on a Saturday.

Corkscrew BBQ is in Old Town Spring. Haven’t tried that yet so I’ll look forward to revisiting in the future. They’re next on my BBQ bucket list.
Yeah Old Town Spring has been a destination for decades now. Downtown Tomball is just starting to work toward its potential, but the community is being intentional about it, so they're moving in the right direction. Always tougher when a state highway cuts through the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 12:43 PM

888 posts, read 483,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
This is also why I think annexation is important. Katy, Cypress and Spring to a certain extent have the tax base to fund a Woodlands style development. They just either need to get incorporated or annex the wealthy areas to fund a big Downtown project. Missouri City will also be in the same boat if they annex Sienna soon. But then League City and Pearland have squandered their size and relative wealth. I just think with Houston, one suburb needs to commit hard (Fulshear hopefully) and then the rest will join once they see the benefits.
I agree. The reason The Woodlands and Sugar Land have been able to stand out as high quality suburbs is the ability to gain a big tax base and control their municipality. Hopefully more suburbs can follow along (particularly Fulshear).

Old 05-15-2024, 09:06 PM

390 posts, read 598,710 times
Another one with some character but not much to offer is Grisby Square.

I believe it would have been Downtown Addicks Texas before Addicks was swallowed up by Houston.

Home of the original Lupe Tortilla!

Old 05-16-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post

I believe it would have been Downtown Addicks Texas before Addicks was swallowed up by Houston.

Yeah not much known outside the Energy Corridor, but a unique little area.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:42 AM

10,021 posts, read 6,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yeah Old Town Spring has been a destination for decades now. Downtown Tomball is just starting to work toward its potential, but the community is being intentional about it, so they're moving in the right direction. Always tougher when a state highway cuts through the middle.
Opening a respected bbq joint is an essential component to reviving an old suburbs’ downtown in the Houston area? Old Town Spring has Corkscrew, Tomball has Tejas Chocolate BBQ, Montgommery has Bar A BBQ

Old 05-16-2024, 12:16 PM

6,494 posts, read 4,106,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post

Never heard of it. I would love to check it out when I’m back in the city. Houston does have a lot of crazy history. Like there’s that abandoned Italian village shopping center that looks super cool. Don’t know if anyone knows what I’m talking about?

Old 05-17-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Opening a respected bbq joint is an essential component to reviving an old suburbs’ downtown in the Houston area? Old Town Spring has Corkscrew, Tomball has Tejas Chocolate BBQ, Montgommery has Bar A BBQ
I like the theory

Old Today, 05:08 PM

10,021 posts, read 6,713,445 times
Went to look more into the Woodlands town center expansion. Looks like it’s going to be in the ugly southwest parking lot of the Woodlands Mall. That will do a good job to create more integration between the outdoor portion of the woodlands mall and downtown.

What is the function of those big screens that area anyway? Those next to the Shake Shack and Cheesecake Factory? The one with the greenspace in front and the entrance to the nall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston