Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2024, 06:06 PM

4,965 posts, read 8,962,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbabbington96 View Post
I believe that Marshall Health has ahold of the old GD Ritzy's building, it's being used for parking for staff right now I believe.

Based on Brad Smith's comments, it seems that the goal for that area of Hal Greer is to turn it into a giant medical campus.
It’s hard to say if Marshall Health officially has it or not. People start parking anywhere they can if it’s closer and they think they won’t get towed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 02:25 PM

24 posts, read 3,162 times
It appears the Ritzy's property is still owned by the same group that has had it forever. I'd guess Marshall Health is just renting the parking spaces (but eventually will end up buying it). I'm still holding out hope GD Ritzy's will make a come back.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:21 PM

Knowing how people are, my guess is that the spots aren’t being rented. People are just taking advantage of no one being there and using the spots. I think part of the problem with the property is now you have one person that owns the land and one owns the building. Any time you have two people in charge of a property like that, it always complicates moving forward. Like I said earlier, I think it would be a great spot for a Steak and Shake.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:36 AM

26 posts, read 2,363 times
https://westvirginia.gov/build-wv-ac...PjeCSA221n9zNI

Old 04-16-2024, 08:38 AM

Cabell County is now a designated BUILD WV district!

Passed in the 2022 Legislative Session, the BUILD WV Act aims to assist West Virginia’s growing communities in attracting much-needed housing development projects. The credit offers a State Sales and Use Tax exemption for building materials and a 10-year property value adjustment refundable tax credit to offset building costs. West Virginia is one of the fastest growing in-bound states, and the demand for new, residential properties has never been higher.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:57 PM

Hopefully this results in some improved housing stock for Huntington. I'd love to see new houses built on empty lots or to replace dilapidated properties. I also hope that this will also bring about more renovations of historic homes as well. Our downtown has vastly improved over the last 15-20 years and now is the perfect time to focus on bringing up the quality of our neighborhoods.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:53 PM

I noticed new "For Sale" signs on all of the old ACF properties. At the top of those signs is "The Foundry". This looks relatively new as well, as well as pretty awesome.

https://views.ovalroomgroup.com/v/lVjKW9W0jBb

Old 04-21-2024, 11:37 AM

From the HD this morning regarding the talked about Downtown Streetscape Improvements. Looks like it's finally kicking off.

"The council will also consider a resolution to authorize the mayor to enter into an agreement with GAI Consultants Inc. to provide services for the downtown streetscape project. The initial cost for the project is $1,571,000. Additional services requested are $370,600. The funding for the project will be paid by KYOVA Interstate Planning Commission (80%) and from the city’s general fund (20%).

The study area includes improvements to an approximately four-block area in the heart of downtown Huntington including 9th Street from 3rd Avenue to 7th Avenue, 8th Street from 3rd Avenue to 5th Avenue, 10th Street from 3rd Avenue to 5th Avenue and 3rd Avenue from 8th Street to 9th Street.
"

Old 04-22-2024, 09:10 PM

That will be nice for 8th, 9th and 10th streets to get a little bit of a face lift. I have a feeling that people are going to gripe though because at least some of that renovation will involve decreasing the number of lanes from 4 to 2 and also putting in the angled, back in parking.

Going back to the Build WV designation, I saw this quote in an article last week and thought that it was pretty interesting:

Quote:
Last year the Cabell County Commission invested in a housing study with Advantage Valley, which found Cabell County will need 3,756 homes between 2023 and 2028, Commission President Kelli Sobonya said. The city also had a housing needs assessment performed by Bowen National Research Group that determined there is a need for more housing in the county.

“That’s what we are going to need just to meet the current housing needs, and it’s anticipated that Cabell County will have almost 2,800 new direct/indirect jobs between that same time period,” Sobonya said.
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...97ec13bca.html

Old 04-23-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
That will be nice for 8th, 9th and 10th streets to get a little bit of a face lift. I have a feeling that people are going to gripe though because at least some of that renovation will involve decreasing the number of lanes from 4 to 2 and also putting in the angled, back in parking.

Going back to the Build WV designation, I saw this quote in an article last week and thought that it was pretty interesting:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...97ec13bca.html
That's a lot of units we're needing. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I think we might actually start to see our population grow over the next few years. I'd also make the bold claim that in five years we'll be the most populated city in WV over Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington