Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:54 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisc View Post
Bridge Street in my opinion was a bad and still is a bad idea for this area, maybe so in a tourist town like Destin, FL but Huntsville's weather is just not ideal for a place like this and I think more and more tenants will continue to close due to the lack of business and high rental costs. The parking is terrible too, think of Christmas shopping in 30 degree rainy weather running from store to store with bags of items, that just doesn't sound like a merry shopping experience to me. As for the amusement park thing, I think that would be a failure as well, Huntsville won't support that if Birmingham and Nashville couldn't (Visionland and Opryland).
I don't know if I agree with this. I do think the Bridge Street Mall has done a lot in changing people's image about Huntsville. I know when I was considering moving here, it was one of key features that was reassuring that Huntsviile has evolved from "bubbaville" and making progress toward "civilization". Many friends & family who saw the BSM pics on my Facebook page were impressed and has changed their image of "the South".

I think most transplants like myself like the BSM and, if Huntsville is going to continue to attract professionals from out-of-states and grow this city it needs places like the BSM to thrive & be successful.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 PM

308 posts, read 527,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I think most transplants like myself like the BSM and......
Being a transplant myself, my answer to Bridge Street was from day one and still is " good idea, but who is the complete idiot who designed that mess".

Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 PM

252 posts, read 321,388 times
Well said, FAL50, you had it nailed from the start! It will be fun to watch how they re-purpose the property over the next few years. I am still puzzled why they built a Westin in that location and I am curious how the "condo" part is doing. I heard a couple of years back that Saudis bought them up??

Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 PM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
They need to make it more weather friendly ... perhaps - a covered walkway ...
In MN of all places - you will find one of the best malls in America ... because they have re-imagined malls as not just shopping places ... but as family entertainment place ... all year round.

Not sure they can pull this off here in Bridgestreet ... this type of thinking should have been part of the design process since Day 1. It was a good concept though ... but half-baked.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM

331 posts, read 511,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
They need to make it more weather friendly ... perhaps - a covered walkway ...
In MN of all places - you will find one of the best malls in America ... because they have re-imagined malls as not just shopping places ... but as family entertainment place ... all year round.

Not sure they can pull this off here in Bridgestreet ... this type of thinking should have been part of the design process since Day 1. It was a good concept though ... but half-baked.
I agree with this. And what turned me off was the high end type tenants they were going for. I had no reason to shop there and still rarely do. Sometimes I may stop in and eat during lunch.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 05-28-2013, 12:40 PM

329 posts, read 512,017 times
I like the layout of Bridge Street. But I personally don't like indoor shopping malls.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I like the layout of Bridge Street. But I personally don't like indoor shopping malls.
Coming from CA, I like outdoor shopping malls too - but the weather here in Alabama is a serious limiting factor. Perhaps - a mixed indoor/outdoor with covered walkways ... I see those in Singapore.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I like the layout of Bridge Street...
You obviously haven't tried to go shopping at Bridge Street on a rainy, cold December night.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You obviously haven't tried to go shopping at Bridge Street on a rainy, cold December night.
Seriously.....that is no fun at all. I have only been to Bridgestreet maybe 5 or 6 times all of which my reason was to eat at Connors. The food and restaurant was great each time but the Bridgestreet experience has been terrible every time. I can't decide which is worse, cold light rain with the wind howling between the buildings in December or the inferno and humidity in July. Even when the weather is great which is rare, the poor layout of the place makes it an unpleasant experience.

If it weren't for Connor's I would never step foot in the place again and I wish Connor's would open another location. I would eat there much more often if it was in a better location. I personally do my shopping at Parkway place mall and every time I go it is busy. I ate Chick Fil A at the food court a few weeks ago and it was so busy it took me about 15 minutes to get a table.

I looked into Bridgestreet and discovered that both the owner/developer and the architect are located in Los Angeles and have similar properties in Southern California. Obviously, they tried to take what works well in the mild climate of Southern California and plop it here in the Southeast without giving consideration to our weather.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM

282 posts, read 687,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Seriously.....that is no fun at all. I have only been to Bridgestreet maybe 5 or 6 times all of which my reason was to eat at Connors. The food and restaurant was great each time but the Bridgestreet experience has been terrible every time. I can't decide which is worse, cold light rain with the wind howling between the buildings in December or the inferno and humidity in July. Even when the weather is great which is rare, the poor layout of the place makes it an unpleasant experience.

If it weren't for Connor's I would never step foot in the place again and I wish Connor's would open another location. I would eat there much more often if it was in a better location. I personally do my shopping at Parkway place mall and every time I go it is busy. I ate Chick Fil A at the food court a few weeks ago and it was so busy it took me about 15 minutes to get a table.

I looked into Bridgestreet and discovered that both the owner/developer and the architect are located in Los Angeles and have similar properties in Southern California. Obviously, they tried to take what works well in the mild climate of Southern California and plop it here in the Southeast without giving consideration to our weather.
Connors is awesome and when the weather was good, you could sit outside by the nice looking water.......now it will be a brick wall w/ a Belk sign I guess. Filling in half the pond was the stupidest idea ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area