Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deregulate_This View Post
We are all drivers. But, many of us encounter budget problems because our jobs were outsourced. And some of us can no longer afford to keep a car, but still have jobs. How do we get around? Many of us ride bikes.
If that were the case, I'd have no problem with them. However, whenever I have come in to contact with bikers impeding traffic, it is always the ones that are out doing it for sport. I'm not a biker, but I can recognize an expensive bike, trendy pricy workout clothes and such on someone who is doing it for fun. Some guy downtown with a backpack on an old beat up Schwinn is entirely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 8,348 times
Hi Troubleshooter, the bikes are required to stay to the right of the right lane (or left of left lane if on a 1-way street) when it is safe to pass. The issue with many drivers is they like to scare people by trying to hit pedestrians or bikes with their mirrors. That is why there needs to be a "safe passing distance" clause added to laws.

I have not seen the width of the roadway described in this discussion, but I'm sure it is designed poorly like many of the roadways.

Where I lived in high school, there was a major road in between my apartment and the stores. The only crossings were miles away. There were bus stops far in between the crossings. Why weren't there more crossings? Because the infrastructure was built only for drivers, not anyone else. At a certain point, we need to modify our designs to make the roadways safer for all of us.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:26 PM

776 posts, read 745,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
....Some dude that looks like he fell out of a PowerAde commercial is not.
Now that's funny right there.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 PM

168 posts, read 311,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post

Section 32-5A-174

Minimum speed regulation.

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

MOTOR vehicle. As in it has a motor. As in it isn't someone's legs propelling the object. Yeah, we cyclists don't fall into that bucket. We will just keep focusing on backing up traffic and being in our legal right to do so.

Many other states which actually have respect for human life are very clear that these items within the UVC DO NOT apply to bicycles:

Iowa:
Iowa Bicycle Laws - Iowa Bicycle Coalition

MINIMUM SPEED
From time to time, persons point out the minimum speed regulation as one of the laws that should prevent bicyclists from being on the road. Language in this law does not apply to bicyclists because it is specific to motor vehicles. Secondly, the minimum speed regulation refers to traffic, which is not solely defined as motor vehicle traffic, but other conveyances including bicyclists.

Kansas:
Kansas Bicycle Laws and Statutes

8-1561. Minimum speed regulation.(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.(Minimum speed regulations and impeding "the normal and reasonable movement of traffic" only apply to a "motor vehicle", not bicycles.)

So.... try again at cooking up random fabricated inaccurate reasons why we cyclists can't ride on the roads. We are and will continue to do so. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2014, 09:03 PM

43 posts, read 51,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Missourian View Post
MOTOR vehicle. As in it has a motor. As in it isn't someone's legs propelling the object. Yeah, we cyclists don't fall into that bucket. We will just keep focusing on backing up traffic and being in our legal right to do so.
You do not have a legal right to back up traffic. What part of "bike riders are subject to ALL applicable laws governing motor vehicles" do you not understand.

So, a word of advice. You are obviously tipping the bottle. DO NOT get on the roads tonight... your legs are the same as a "motor" and you will be cited for a DUI.

This link may help you:

Family Services Center ? Anger Management

Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 AM

168 posts, read 311,135 times
Ha! I was 100% sober then, and still reiterate that you stubborn oxes are reading what you want to read from the law. Yet again, you aren't reading what I posted that cyclists ARE EXEMPT from some of the rules that apply to freaking MOTOR vehicles!

Even if were the law, I have heard of ZERO cases of cyclist being ticketed for holding up traffic while riding. Obviously you guys dream of cyclists "getting what is coming to them", but alas... it isn't from this. We have far bigger problems.... like local morons killing us in broad daylight on a clear day via their Ford F-250 while they are trying to play Words With Friends on their smartphone while going around a curve at 60 mph.

(I've donated good running vehicles to FSC before to help others in need out... they seem like a good local group)

Old 09-27-2014, 09:59 AM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
I don't have issues with anyone riding bicycles anywhere they want to. But, on dangerous roads or dangerous areas or in areas where people may not be used to seeing them, it may be a good idea to exercise more caution or plan to account for other people.

Just because people should act a certain way, doesn't mean that they will. I'm not a fan of putting my life at risk by hoping that someone else is paying attention to what I'm doing just because they "should be". If I were going to ride, I would keep it to nothing but trails and paths. That's just me, though.

For example, when I'm stopped at a red light at the front of the line and it turns to green, I look both ways and make sure that the people who are supposed to stop actually stop at their new red light. Should I have to do that? Absolutely not! They should obey the law and stop at their red light! Quite often, you can count on at least one or two people running a light in town, if not many more. Doing that across the board has kept me from being in at least 2 wrecks, though......so I'll keep doing it. Not because I should, but because it's in the interest of my personal safety.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:56 PM

169 posts, read 206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
Quite often, you can count on at least one or two people running a light in town, if not many more.
Do police ever set up traps to catch red light runners? Talk about some easy money! I've seen groups of seven or eight cars run some of the more popular red lights, yet I've never seen a police car camped near one. I've seen plenty of speed traps, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area