Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,216 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Huntsville, and have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. We moved into our current home when my oldest was an infant. And before we knew what children really entailed. Our home is not really working for us, and we are looking to move.

I am looking for neighborhood that has sidewalks, lots of kids, lots of porches, and is near/walkable to something - anything - interesting (greenway, trail, natural water, great park, library, coffeeshop, margaritas, etc)? With updated/newer homes and no earshot of a loud fast road? And preferably buried or minimal visible utilities?

One where neighbors get together to do things 2 or more times per year? (Potlucks, yardsales, pool parties, picnic, etc)? We have some great retired neighbors, but I would really like to be somewhere with more kids playing outside so that my little ones will have some friends that I don't have to drive to.

Where should we look? FWIW, I am more interested in neighborhood character and the items described above than necessarily trying to find a place with the highest public school ratings. The grownups in the house need to be happy too, especially as one or both often work at home...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 05:43 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Blossomwood, Five Points, Mediacl District/Downtown, Neighborhoods off of Bailey Cove/Weatherly

Old 10-14-2015, 06:16 AM

301 posts, read 333,741 times
Hampton Cove. But dont take my word for it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cewb0XRwncM

Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,216 times
I probably should caveat this post with a budget... Home prices <$250K and/or rental rates <$1600/mo. It is tricky to find newer (i.e. post-1995, or at least post-1985) homes in convenient locations.

Re: above suggestions: sidewalks are very hit or miss[ing] in 5 pts, blossomwood, and the Jones Valley area. Do these neighborhoods actually have organized groups of people that schedule events all together? And actually get to know each other?

Hampton Cove is enormous, and despite the cover photo in the youtube link, most houses in the area don't seem to have porches and are kind of McMansion-y. When I have driven around here in the late afternoon, or mid-morning on weekdays, I don't see kids playing outside. Where are they? Daycare? Or perhaps this is indicative of a larger societal issue of kids not playing outside in their front yard or street anymore?

What specific neighborhoods or streets have direct access to greenways, trails, playgrounds, etc? I think perhaps I am not looking at the right streets.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:11 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Monte Sano and Green Mountain have access to parks and trails, but Green Mountain may be out of your price range. Both have poor sidewalk coverage (like most of HSV) but Monte Sano does have sidewalks along the major roads. Monte Sano has organized community events.

Monte Sano Civic Association | To preserve, protect, and enhance the quality of life on Monte Sano Mountain

Neighborhoods west of Bailey Cove are near the Aldridge Creek Greenway. There are parks, ballfields, and playgrounds close by, along with commercial on Bailey Cove.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:54 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
Except for the newer/updated part, I would say to focus around Bailey Cove Rd. You'd be close to the current Grissom which is going to become a new library once the new HS opens. And you'd be close to the shopping at Jones Valley as well as the Aldridge Creek Greenway and, depending on how far south you go down Bailey Cove, close to McGucken Park. You might be able to get updated but you're probably not getting underground utilities.

Look at Bucks Canyon, Sunset Valley, Willowbrook, Willow Park Estates.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:53 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,580,465 times
This is like a job interview,
Where do see yourself in 5 years? with sidewalks or not?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 2,652 times
This sounds pretty similar to my current neighborhood, although it is near a road. It's only busy when youth sporting events are across the street at the park. I can't recommend it here since I don't have 10 posts yet, but you can DM me and I can tell you it's name.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 AM

26 posts, read 41,679 times
A word of caution to you and others moving into Huntsville, get a copy of the plat plan for the subdivision, showing any minimum building lines, utility drainage easements, etc. Most of them can be found online at the Madison County Private office. This is especially important in the newer, resubdivided neighborhoods. Over half of the people in Huntsville who contacted is this year to get a swimming pool installed were unpleasantly surprised to find out they couldn't. In many cases, 15'-30' of the rear and 5'-10' on either side of their backyard was unusable. City of Huntsville Building and Zoning departments allow concrete and retaining walls within easements but Engineering Department will not. I have seen cases where the subdivision HOA covenant specifically (and falsely) stated the homeowners could build in the easement. When in doubt, check with the city officials before purchasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: