Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 07:37 PM

13,115 posts, read 9,667,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
My understanding is that the ramps can't be opened until overhead lighting is installed. Don't know whether the traffic signal is part of that equation or not. I would assume that some type of bids have to be let to get an electrical contractor on board to do the work.
The eastbound exit (the tall one that goes up the cliff) has concrete bases for lights to be installed. Presumably wiring is there too. But no light poles or lights yet. It's been that way for quite some time - over a year as a guess. I really wouldn't want to drive up that exit without streetlights - it's a long way down from the top. There's a concrete barrier, but it's the same height as the one the school bus drove over some years ago downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 07:55 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,617,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
As I've said before, I (perhaps cynically) think that ALDOT tries to suppress economic growth in this area by stalling infrastructure buildup.
I think past evidence and actions would support your statement.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:22 AM

375 posts, read 516,206 times
Cooper showed his true colors with his retaliation and extremely petty behavior in response to Bill Holtzclaw's billboard. Holtzclaw probably shouldn't have had the billboard put up but the response was completely over the top and unnecessary. You punish an entire area to get back at a senator who did something that you didn't like.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:21 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,863,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Would not be surprised if aldot told bidders to go high on the ramp bids.
Now that Nelson embarrassed aldot and got the Governor involved there will be no hurry.
Aldot is currently defying the Governors order to open it.

It definitely looks like they are dragging it out. I am sort of torn on this one because I get why they have been holding it up. The entire thing with the flyovers and all turned into a pissing contest and their leverage is not opening that entrance ramp. I sort of lean to the side of not allowing it to open until the exit flyover to support the exiting is also built and ready to open. Those flyovers are very unlikely to get built without lawyers getting involved and some legal action. I really don't know what the Trash Pandas are waiting on. I would go ahead and call the lawyer and also look into stopping lease payments on the stadium......oh wait....didn't I hear they did not make their payment but publicly they stated something about last season not happening because of the Covid shutdown? LOL

Quote:
As I've said before, I (perhaps cynically) think that ALDOT tries to suppress economic growth in this area by stalling infrastructure buildup.
Oh no doubt. It is like they go out of their way not to fund projects in North Alabama. At some point, with the growth in this area, our tax base is going to get large enough we will have some leverage though.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It definitely looks like they are dragging it out. I am sort of torn on this one because I get why they have been holding it up. The entire thing with the flyovers and all turned into a pissing contest and their leverage is not opening that entrance ramp. I sort of lean to the side of not allowing it to open until the exit flyover to support the exiting is also built and ready to open. Those flyovers are very unlikely to get built without lawyers getting involved and some legal action. I really don't know what the Trash Pandas are waiting on. I would go ahead and call the lawyer and also look into stopping lease payments on the stadium......oh wait....didn't I hear they did not make their payment but publicly they stated something about last season not happening because of the Covid shutdown? LOL

Oh no doubt. It is like they go out of their way not to fund projects in North Alabama. At some point, with the growth in this area, our tax base is going to get large enough we will have some leverage though.
The flyovers will need to be built at the same time. No need to protract the traffic distruption that will happen.

We already send a lot of taxes to the state, but we have no leverage. We have no choice but to remit the taxes collected as long as we're a part of the state, and I don't see us seceding anytime soon. Some years ago, Tommy Battle mentioned that we only get back about 20% of the road taxes we send to the state. I'm sure it must be much less now. It would be interesting to see the percentages for the rest of the counties. I suspect many of the decision makers have never even been here.

I'm not sure that baseball alone can fully justify the flyovers. Attendance will be high at first, but eventually will fall off to the point that occasional traffic jams could be tolerated. What does, or would, justify them is major retail in Town Madison, and so far that hasn't happened. Maybe it's a matter of the which comes first - the chicken or the egg - or will the flyovers happen after retail moves in, or will retail wait and locate after the flyovers are built. Plus, there will be a substantial number of people living there - two large apartment complexes, as well as condos and single family houses. Maybe 2000 permanent residents? Just guessing.

BTW - lot prep has started for the new apartment/mixed use complex just west of the Madison Golf Center. And the roundabout at Lime Quarry/Intergraph Way looks to be near completion (needs paving).

Old 04-28-2021, 12:28 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,863,183 times
Quote:
The flyovers will need to be built at the same time. No need to protract the traffic distruption that will happen.

We already send a lot of taxes to the state, but we have no leverage. We have no choice but to remit the taxes collected as long as we're a part of the state, and I don't see us seceding anytime soon. Some years ago, Tommy Battle mentioned that we only get back about 20% of the road taxes we send to the state. I'm sure it must be much less now. It would be interesting to see the percentages for the rest of the counties. I suspect many of the decision makers have never even been here.

I'm not sure that baseball alone can fully justify the flyovers. Attendance will be high at first, but eventually will fall off to the point that occasional traffic jams could be tolerated. What does, or would, justify them is major retail in Town Madison, and so far that hasn't happened. Maybe it's a matter of the which comes first - the chicken or the egg - or will the flyovers happen after retail moves in, or will retail wait and locate after the flyovers are built. Plus, there will be a substantial number of people living there - two large apartment complexes, as well as condos and single family houses. Maybe 2000 permanent residents? Just guessing.

BTW - lot prep has started for the new apartment/mixed use complex just west of the Madison Golf Center. And the roundabout at Lime Quarry/Intergraph Way looks to be near completion (needs paving).

We the citizens (tax payers) always have leverage. Being passive and just letting it go is how this keeps happening. It is sort of like the ole "no taxation without representation" thing. If we are going to pay a substantial percentage of tax revenue in, we should get our fair share of the services back in return. If we continue to not get our fair share in return, we need to stop being passive and start making noise. We don't have to try to do something crazy like secede. We need to start making a lot of noise that Montgomery can hear and start voting accordingly.

I completely agree with you on baseball not really supporting the flyovers. It will be popular and the games will be packed for a couple of years until the new wears off and then most likely, attendance will decline. It really depends on the experience though because if we are being realistic, there isn't much of a fan base for minor league baseball. There is a huge fan base for beer, food and a fun atmosphere to hang out with friends or business gatherings.......there just may be a minor league baseball game in the background that most aren't paying very much attention to while they are downing beers and shooting the bull. lol

The retail hasn't and still isn't drawing much at Town Madison. I suspect a big part of the problem is the lack of progress on the flyover ramps and what will be a traffic issue getting in and out of the place. There are so many other better options around Huntsville right now it just doesn't make sense for a retailer to want to go in there at this point.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 PM

657 posts, read 599,832 times
I'll be there for the baseball. The appreciation of the game as well as the game within the game.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be enjoying an adult beverage or two but it will be the baseball that will bring me to the ballpark.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I'll be there for the baseball. The appreciation of the game as well as the game within the game.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be enjoying an adult beverage or two but it will be the baseball that will bring me to the ballpark.
just the number of apartments, hotel, announced restaurants and better access to Redstone's Gate 7 more than justifies the ramps. It will greatly reduce strain on Wall Triana, and Gate 9 as well.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 PM

speaking of the exit, part of it opens Thursday

https://whnt.com/news/madison/i-565-...open-thursday/

Old 04-29-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
just the number of apartments, hotel, announced restaurants and better access to Redstone's Gate 7 more than justifies the ramps. It will greatly reduce strain on Wall Triana, and Gate 9 as well.
Yes, I agree with that. And I still believe that once the ramps are built, or at least under construction, retail will be more inclined to locate in Town Madison.

It would have been nice to have an interchange at Zierdt Rd when 565 was built, but the area was literally out in the country then. I don't think anybody really thought this place would develop like it has.

The planning has actually been done well - expanding Martin Rd both inside and outside the Arsenal, along with expanding Zierdt Rd. The issue is that it's been done so slow. One of these days all the wasted time will be in the rearview mirror though. There's so much development going on that workers have to be stretched pretty thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area