Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 22,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTails View Post
Making friends is relatively easy. There are all sorts of people here: people with kids, people without kids, people who like hiking, people who hate hiking, etc. Church is probably the #1 way people make friends but it's certainly not the only way.
Good deal. Yea, saw there were a couple of Orthodox churches in the city so would be nice to meet people there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 AM

6 posts, read 5,271 times
Lived in Huntsville my whole life and still love it. I work with someone that moved here from Wasilla and he loves it. He actually lives in Arab, which is a lot more Alabama than Huntsville.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 22,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEHSV256 View Post
Lived in Huntsville my whole life and still love it. I work with someone that moved here from Wasilla and he loves it. He actually lives in Arab, which is a lot more Alabama than Huntsville.
Nice! I think the Valley (Wasilla/Palmer) is probably pretty similar to Alabama culturally, probably a lot more-so than Anchorage would be

Old 04-04-2021, 01:11 PM

12 posts, read 11,131 times
Huntsville is very developed with a diverse population. Lots of government/defense jobs and science jobs. It is the perfect size and there is lots to do here. Having lived in Chicago, I can say I enjoy it here a lot more.
And we get tornado warnings but not a lot that actually hit. I believe the last time it really hit Huntsville was 2012. Although some areas saw a little damage from winds in March of this year. Not sure that the tornado actually touched down though.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:00 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalee09 View Post
Huntsville is very developed with a diverse population. Lots of government/defense jobs and science jobs. It is the perfect size and there is lots to do here. Having lived in Chicago, I can say I enjoy it here a lot more.
And we get tornado warnings but not a lot that actually hit. I believe the last time it really hit Huntsville was 2012. Although some areas saw a little damage from winds in March of this year. Not sure that the tornado actually touched down though.
The storm that was near the Cracker Barrel at Exit 9 in Madison may have been a small tornado. As it progressed to the east, there were several fences knocked down in my neighborhood. The NWS never had a tornado report on it though, so it's more likely it was just straight line winds.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2AK View Post
Fair enough lol.

That's true, it's part of the reason I'm considering it. I work remote but my company works with other orgs in defense.

I'm in my early 30's and pretty outgoing so I usually don't have any problems making friends, but, I know there are places that are more "insular" where you can be the most outgoing person on the planet and still not be able to make friends..I'm hoping that's not how Huntsville is.

For sure, you're right, not many places can compare to here so I'm less worried about that. As long as it's not West Texas flat I'm fine lol. I like that the city is close to the Smokies, Gulf and Nashville. If I want to go skiing that's a different story I guess.
Huntsville is 3-4 hours from the Smokies, under 2 hours to Nashville, and about 7-8 hours to the Gulf Coast (and the Atlantic as well). There is some skiiing available in the Smokies, but I'm no longer sure to what extent. There used to be one in Alabama at Mentone - they could occasionally "make" snow, but generally used plastic granules, I think. I doubt it's still around. I think most people who ski fly to Denver and go from there.

I don't think anybody's mentioned it, but there are several (9 or more) local breweries that are really good if you're into craft beers.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:59 AM

583 posts, read 827,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
People in Huntsville are many things, but the word insular does not come to mind.

Not Huntsville, but come 10 miles north of the border to BFE, TN and you'll see insular. I have a neighbor that's been here +40 years (Hsv rocket engineer at RSA/MSFC) and they're still considered outsiders.

We're treated the same way by the locals, the difference is that I DGAS.

Having said that, Post #5 is right forking on. When I moved to Huntsville from Seattle in 1990, I despised it. Now, I'm retired here (well TN just north of the border) and I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:07 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I live outside of Huntsville, the stereotypes are a little more obvious than in Huntsville. Huntsville is cosmopolitan for the area, meaning there are tons of transplants there. There are lots of locals, but I notice lots of non-Southern accent people too.

Since moving here I have met 5 different parties from California (where I am from). They were younger, moved here for a job, but also a better and cheaper quality of life. I would say NO, Huntsville does not fit that negative stereotype of Southerners. (I've dealt with California stereotyping elsewhere, not Alabama, and that's not fun either!)

I like the way people here always say Yes Ma'am and No Ma'am. It's a huge difference from other parts of the country. People are more polite and way more low key. It creates a personal connection that is missing in far too many parts of the country.

Last edited by pathrunner; 04-30-2021 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-30-2021, 12:12 PM

583 posts, read 827,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Huntsville is 3-4 hours from the Smokies, under 2 hours to Nashville, and about 7-8 hours to the Gulf Coast (and the Atlantic as well). There is some skiiing available in the Smokies, but I'm no longer sure to what extent. There used to be one in Alabama at Mentone - they could occasionally "make" snow, but generally used plastic granules, I think. I doubt it's still around. I think most people who ski fly to Denver and go from there.

I don't think anybody's mentioned it, but there are several (9 or more) local breweries that are really good if you're into craft beers.

Don't forget the distilleries:

- two in Moore county (Jack and Lynchburg Distillery)

- two in Lincoln county just north of Hsv/Madison (Southern Pride and Pritchard's)

- one north of Pulaski in Giles county (county north of Athens - South Tenn)

- new one in Nashville (Penningtons)

- George Dickel, north of Tullahoma

Then we have the wineries, most of which are north of the border as well, tons of them. Lynchburg Winery is right next door to Lynchburg Distillery.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Don't forget the distilleries:

- two in Moore county (Jack and Lynchburg Distillery)

- two in Lincoln county just north of Hsv/Madison (Southern Pride and Pritchard's)

- one north of Pulaski in Giles county (county north of Athens - South Tenn)

- new one in Nashville (Penningtons)

- George Dickel, north of Tullahoma

Then we have the wineries, most of which are north of the border as well, tons of them. Lynchburg Winery is right next door to Lynchburg Distillery.
Hmm - didn't know there was one in addition to Jack Daniels. Learn something new every day.

There are at least a couple of really local distilleries as well - one that makes rum in Madison, and Irons in Huntsville that's really hard to get ahold of. From what I've heard it's really good, but there's a waiting list a mile long. I know of one guy who drove all the way up here from Jackson, MS when his name was called to get his bottle. Apparently you have to show up in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area