Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 11:09 AM

34 posts, read 61,702 times

Advertisements

Hi! So, we have lived in Madison for over 11 years, and in the area for 15. Our current house was meant to be a 5 year thing, but life happened, babies, Covid, etc..., and it never felt like a convenient time to move. Well, IT IS TIME. I absolutely hate living on top of my neighbors, the traffic, and really only shop in store at a couple of places, get take out from 3-4 places, etc... Husband works from home, so commute is not an issue. However, I would still like to be no further than 45 minutes or so from base, since we shop there often and, quite frankly, going on base just feels like home.

Of course, our Madison home is inflated and will make us a good bit and should sell easily. I always said if someone wanted to pay a ridiculous amount for my place, they could have it. However, I am certainly not willing to overpay for my new house. I saw a house that would be great except it was up 150% since 2018. I could afford it, but no way will I pay that. Some increase, yes, but not that.

So, basically, we want a house with at least 4 beds, 3 baths, on 5+ acres, 45 minutes to Redstone, no more than 800k, and nothing that was 300k two years ago with no major improvements. I am kind of thinking to the south of Huntsville. Is this just not going to happen in this area? We will move out of the area altogether if necessary, but I was hoping someone out there might know of a local area that we could look at, or have some knowledge of local housing, etc... Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 11:25 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
You plan to use your inflated home value but the seller is not allowed to do so.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You plan to use your inflated home value but the seller is not allowed to do so.
Oh, no, I don't blame anyone for getting as much as someone will pay for their house (and never said I did, nor that someone should sell its cheaper because that is what I am willing to pay). I am just not willing to pay that inflated price, and are hoping there are still areas left on the outskirts here that aren't. I thought that was clear.

Last edited by homeschoolingmom; 01-01-2022 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-01-2022, 12:56 PM

294 posts, read 234,721 times
When I was looking a couple of years ago, I found some pretty good deals in the Arab and Union Grove area with some acreage. I finally decided to not get quite so far from my kids, church, etc. and bought an acre in a location closer to my then-current home, but I came pretty close on a few places - one had a gorgeous 6-acre yard with no close neighbors. And both of those would be within your 45 minutes. Just poke around on ValleyMLS.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
When I was looking a couple of years ago, I found some pretty good deals in the Arab and Union Grove area with some acreage. I finally decided to not get quite so far from my kids, church, etc. and bought an acre in a location closer to my then-current home, but I came pretty close on a few places - one had a gorgeous 6-acre yard with no close neighbors. And both of those would be within your 45 minutes. Just poke around on ValleyMLS.
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for and very helpful. I will check those areas out.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:28 PM

471 posts, read 404,544 times
Acreage properties are hard to find here. We have been looking since July. Where we do find them, they are typically not the house we want (which is a brick ranch, not a two story farmhouse.) We have expanded our search to Limestone County and to southern TN. Patience will eventually pay off. We are willing to pay, but we are not stupid either. We have seen some houses for $650-700K+ and still need major updating. Ridiculous. If outsiders still want to pay it, more power to them. Good for the sellers. There is no accounting for stupidity.

Last edited by lpc123; 01-01-2022 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-01-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
Acreage properties are hard to find here. We have been looking since July. Where we do find them, they are typically not the house we want (which is a brick ranch, not a two story farmhouse.) We have expanded our search to Limestone County and to southern TN. Patience will eventually pay off. We are willing to pay, but we are not stupid either. We have seen some houses for $650-700K+ and still need major updating. Ridiculous. If outsiders still want to pay it, more power to them. Good for the sellers. There is no accounting for stupidity.
Those are exactly my thought. Looks like we are in the same boat! Good luck to you.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:27 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmom View Post
Hi! So, we have lived in Madison for over 11 years, and in the area for 15. Our current house was meant to be a 5 year thing, but life happened, babies, Covid, etc..., and it never felt like a convenient time to move. Well, IT IS TIME. I absolutely hate living on top of my neighbors, the traffic, and really only shop in store at a couple of places, get take out from 3-4 places, etc... Husband works from home, so commute is not an issue. However, I would still like to be no further than 45 minutes or so from base, since we shop there often and, quite frankly, going on base just feels like home.

Of course, our Madison home is inflated and will make us a good bit and should sell easily. I always said if someone wanted to pay a ridiculous amount for my place, they could have it. However, I am certainly not willing to overpay for my new house. I saw a house that would be great except it was up 150% since 2018. I could afford it, but no way will I pay that. Some increase, yes, but not that.

So, basically, we want a house with at least 4 beds, 3 baths, on 5+ acres, 45 minutes to Redstone, no more than 800k, and nothing that was 300k two years ago with no major improvements. I am kind of thinking to the south of Huntsville. Is this just not going to happen in this area? We will move out of the area altogether if necessary, but I was hoping someone out there might know of a local area that we could look at, or have some knowledge of local housing, etc... Thanks.
My buddy just bought a 3500+ SQFT (3 acres) house in Hazel Green for 650k, very similar to the house they wanted to build, but with lumber prices and lead times, they just bought a house (not old) instead of waiting.

You can also go North of me, into TN and no state taxes and probably more acreage for less? Then you'd have 1 post within 45 minutes south (Redstone) and another within 2 hours North (Ft. Campbell).

Old 01-01-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
My buddy just bought a 3500+ SQFT (3 acres) house in Hazel Green for 650k, very similar to the house they wanted to build, but with lumber prices and lead times, they just bought a house (not old) instead of waiting.

You can also go North of me, into TN and no state taxes and probably more acreage for less? Then you'd have 1 post within 45 minutes south (Redstone) and another within 2 hours North (Ft. Campbell).
Thank you! I will look up that way and into TN. I do want as much land as we can get our hands on, my Dad always said they aren't making more of it. We want critters as well (chickens, etc...). I forgot about Ft. Campbell! We are a prior Air Force family, so not as familiar with all the Army bases (but enjoy visiting them when we find them).

Old 01-01-2022, 06:17 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmom View Post
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for and very helpful. I will check those areas out.
I agree about north Arab, and north Marshall County in general. Very easy commute to Redstone. No traffic lights till after you cross the bridge. Not even 45 mins from there. more like 25-30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area