Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 04:55 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
That's not exactly great news.
Agreed.

Quote:
NW Madison County already has an overabundance of old dilapidated mobile homes and shacks throughout the countryside that should be condemned.
Prove it.

Quote:
Hwy 53 has an incredible number of vacant houses.
I live on HWY 53, again prove it.

Quote:
Should used car lots be operating out of private homes?
LOL.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 09:25 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Found out the construction just north of Public in Harvest, next to the Alabama land trust and that nice pond with hiking trails is going to be storage units. Who knows who approved that to be built next to a nice fishing lake but the cement pads are already complete.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:00 AM

110 posts, read 95,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Agreed.

Prove it.

I live on HWY 53, again prove it.

LOL.....

7121 Hwy 53 had a tree fall on it several years ago. I was working and a co-worker owned it with her ailing mom. They took up money for repairs, but it was never repaired. I retired 4 years ago, so the tree fell maybe 6-7 yrs ago. I drove by about a month ago and the hole is still there, it never was repaired.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:05 AM

110 posts, read 95,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Found out the construction just north of Public in Harvest, next to the Alabama land trust and that nice pond with hiking trails is going to be storage units. Who knows who approved that to be built next to a nice fishing lake but the cement pads are already complete.
From what I read elsewhere, the land trust tried to buy it, but the owner wanted more than the land trust had. Owner sold to highest bidder. IMO it's a shame that the pond will have storage units right next to it, versus being a place to walk in serenity. They've had a cement truck pump there every day for about 2 weeks now.

The 'walking trail' there wasn't maintained. I've got a friend who used to live off Burwell that wanted to walk her dog there, but the grass/briars so bad that she really couldn't (at least 6 yrs ago).

Old 02-11-2023, 03:10 PM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
Chucksnee:

I often have to go to Walmart in Hazel Green (since NW Madison Co. has no Walmart). I am appalled at some of the places people are living in scattered about. Madison County has planning issues--or a lack thereof.

One incredibly trashy place on Opp Reynolds Road 3 mi. east of Madison CrossRoads Elementary must have just burned, but his next door neighbor's place is just as awful and unfit for human occupancy. These are not the only such places north of Hwy 53 in the county. There are about 5 absolutely beautiful homes on 2 acre lots east of the two eyesores on the south side of the road.

Go northwest on Hwy 53 past Jeff Rd. and look on both sides of the road before you get to Old Railroad. There are a bunch of abandoned houses mixed in with decent homes. Heck, Wall-Triana Rd. residences are not always the Taj Mahals either.

But they're building decent new homes all over the place in this end of the county. I just wish the new homes were built a little farther apart so owners didn't have to know whenever their next door neighbors flushed the toilet.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:26 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Chucksnee:

I often have to go to Walmart in Hazel Green (since NW Madison Co. has no Walmart). I am appalled at some of the places people are living in scattered about. Madison County has planning issues--or a lack thereof.

One incredibly trashy place on Opp Reynolds Road 3 mi. east of Madison CrossRoads Elementary must have just burned, but his next door neighbor's place is just as awful and unfit for human occupancy. These are not the only such places north of Hwy 53 in the county. There are about 5 absolutely beautiful homes on 2 acre lots east of the two eyesores on the south side of the road.

Go northwest on Hwy 53 past Jeff Rd. and look on both sides of the road before you get to Old Railroad. There are a bunch of abandoned houses mixed in with decent homes. Heck, Wall-Triana Rd. residences are not always the Taj Mahals either.

But they're building decent new homes all over the place in this end of the county. I just wish the new homes were built a little farther apart so owners didn't have to know whenever their next door neighbors flushed the toilet.
Places like Huntsville and Madison can control what is built with zoning laws. Does Madison County have anything like to control what is built in the county?

Old 02-11-2023, 04:28 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Chucksnee:

Comments to follow.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:58 PM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Places like Huntsville and Madison can control what is built with zoning laws. Does Madison County have anything like to control what is built in the county?
I once lived in Williamson County, Tennessee and their Plan for the County is sitting on the counter at the tax assessor's office.

They try to keep like size homes in the same vicinity. Places like Leiper's Ford are considered "estate properties" and small homes are not allowed when the neighbors have $2,000,000 homes and 20 acre manicured yards.

Some counties allow large national home builders to build huge subdivisions of entry level homes on postage stamp lots. And across the road, the homes will be twice as large and quite beautiful on large lots.

There's plenty of room in Madison County for all types and sizes of homes. But it would still be better if like size homes are built in close proximity to each other.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:17 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
There are many options the county (Madison county) could pursue to “clean up the county” but elects not to move forward.

1) illegal dumping. County has a complaint form to file observed illegal dumping, which is basically for houses where the trash is everywhere, cars spread out like a junkyard (off rims). Here is the link:
https://www.madisoncountyal.gov/serv...junk-ordinance

2) trash in ditches. commercial businesses abuse the county’s large pickup where one day a month, the claw truck drives routes with a line of dump trucks. These are for RESIDENTIAL only and not to serve as free dumping in curbs for businesses. When you see trash in the ditch for months, the county might be ignoring it because they know it’s commercial waste. Guy down the street rehabs houses and has tried this and been charged by the county for trying to dump commercial waste (when you dump a bathtub every month, you might be commercial business).

3) mobile homes permitting. The county clearly ignores this regulation. Every mobile home with wheels and hitch still attached is required to register and pay annual fee with the county. This is signified by a blue sticker that is placed on the trailer. These blue stickers are as rare as bald eagles in northern Alabama. Now it’s obvious that riding mobile home owners, to pay their money making fees, may seem unfair but it’s also a way for the county to enforce habitability within structures that are less durable than houses. .

Selective enforcement is unfortunately a reality in many (all?) counties in northern Alabama.

My personal push would be to create a law prohibiting sport shooting on property under 5 acres. Residents on properties under an acre or much smaller have no business shooting. Where does anyone think safety is when shooting on land just a couple hundred feet? Bullet can whiz by and the 9-11 operator said it’s up to callers to “determine if shooting is unsafe”; ridiculous lack of standards. We got a noise ordinance but that excludes shooting. Hopeful it will get better with growing population.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:00 AM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
I once lived in Williamson County, Tennessee and their Plan for the County is sitting on the counter at the tax assessor's office.

They try to keep like size homes in the same vicinity. Places like Leiper's Ford are considered "estate properties" and small homes are not allowed when the neighbors have $2,000,000 homes and 20 acre manicured yards.

Some counties allow large national home builders to build huge subdivisions of entry level homes on postage stamp lots. And across the road, the homes will be twice as large and quite beautiful on large lots.

There's plenty of room in Madison County for all types and sizes of homes. But it would still be better if like size homes are built in close proximity to each other.
I absolutely agree, but isn't there a government push to have subsidized income housing integrated with upper level homes? That's insane. A popular case recently was the NBA player who objected to the housing planned to be built near his estate. Except in his case it was his $30M home being infiltrated by $5 M homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area