Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 06:58 AM

10,982 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

$1200 will get you a one bedroom in South Huntsville near Hwy 231. That was last year, according to a person I'm acquainted with. It went up from $900 in one fell swoop. Mgmt was trying to get rid of people so they could renovate/redecorate and charge more. They absorbed the $300 increase. I imagine that $1200 amount has turned into $1300 or more since it's a year later. You won't find anything with a yard for the dog at that price, unless you go far flung. Even then....

I'm thinking that's why you're looking at Decatur... because it's cheaper there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 12:34 PM

189 posts, read 205,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
$1200 will get you a one bedroom in South Huntsville near Hwy 231. That was last year, according to a person I'm acquainted with. It went up from $900 in one fell swoop. Mgmt was trying to get rid of people so they could renovate/redecorate and charge more. They absorbed the $300 increase. I imagine that $1200 amount has turned into $1300 or more since it's a year later. You won't find anything with a yard for the dog at that price, unless you go far flung. Even then....

I'm thinking that's why you're looking at Decatur... because it's cheaper there?

We kinda looking into that for that reason however the police for decatur and madison reviews are not no "friendly". It appears and that can become a dealbreaker altogether for us. If you cant rely on the police to protect and serve it's useless.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:48 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
We kinda looking into that for that reason however the police for decatur and madison reviews are not no "friendly". It appears and that can become a dealbreaker altogether for us. If you cant rely on the police to protect and serve it's useless.
Not sure what you are referring to. I've heard of no problems with either the Madison or the Decatur police, other than people complaining after they've gotten a speeding ticket or some other traffic violation.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:22 PM

Hello all we definitely appreciate all feedback. It kinda limits us to only two places out of the whole state madison, and huntsville (not a very good sign). With alot of people saying (stay close to Huntsville) that gives a "red flag". Oddly enough reviewing the police departments in Madison, Athens and huntsville doesnt review to well according to google.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:34 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Hello all we definitely appreciate all feedback. It kinda limits us to only two places out of the whole state madison, and huntsville (not a very good sign). With alot of people saying (stay close to Huntsville) that gives a "red flag". Oddly enough reviewing the police departments in Madison, Athens and huntsville doesnt review to well according to google.
Could you be specific about what you discovered about the police departments?

Old 07-25-2023, 02:18 PM

Reading online reviews can be misleading. Usually it's disgruntled people posting negative reviews because people who have good experiences tend to not think of taking the time to post about it.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:32 PM

844 posts, read 418,555 times
Quote:
I think the reason people recommend Huntsville because you said both of you are city people, enjoy city activities, bars, concerts, etc. Why is Huntsville a red flag?

Let me also address the elephant in the room - outsiders & race factors. You have two strikes against you in smaller towns like Decatur. Whereas both Madison & Huntsville are more accepting. I lived in Madison, we had mix of Black's, Hispanics, Asians, and Mormons in our subdivision and everyone get along. Huntsville does have black neighborhoods, but it's more driven by crimes and economic levels rather than race. Madison doesn't have exclusively black neighborhoods. I've read that 75% people of Huntsville (and I include Madison too) are transplants from out of state. Most "natives" Alabamians retreated to outskirts cities like Athens & Decatur.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
I think the reason people recommend Huntsville because you said both of you are city people, enjoy city activities, bars, concerts, etc. Why is Huntsville a red flag?

Let me also address the elephant in the room - outsiders & race factors. You have two strikes against you in smaller towns like Decatur. Whereas both Madison & Huntsville are more accepting. I lived in Madison, we had mix of Black's, Hispanics, Asians, and Mormons in our subdivision and everyone get along. Huntsville does have black neighborhoods, but it's more driven by crimes and economic levels rather than race. Madison doesn't have exclusively black neighborhoods. I've read that 75% people of Huntsville (and I include Madison too) are transplants from out of state. Most "natives" Alabamians retreated to outskirts cities like Athens & Decatur.

Believe it or not we had just as many people mention Athens as well as madison. While all of these places to Tanner, as you said (we already have 2 strikes AGAINST us We aren't even there yet LOL just because we are who we are) After reviewing the crime statistics it appears decatur DOES have a higher rate so not considering there anymore( we agreeing with you) although it cheaper. However I'm speaking of the interactions between police and the citizens in that area as well huntsville included. I definitely appreciate your HONESTY. These are the exact things we need to know about. It's good to be straight to the point. Alabama may be considered our permanent home if things is good. Although many would say its crazy that I immediately mentioned about our race in the beginning. As you can see it makes a BIG difference is where we LAND that's the REASON I mentioned it.

As far as the "city life, entertainment etc" yes this is something we enjoy alot of and social interaction. I'm sure you're familiar with the term "have fun and come home where it's quiet". That's our goal if that makes any sense. We are not looking to offend anyone just seeking knowledge and constructive criticism.

It's like the old saying my husband and I are the "cows in this situation" we are more afraid of you then you are of us considering it US coming into YOUR territory.

Last edited by arosilus; 07-25-2023 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-25-2023, 03:41 PM

I think you are being overly cautious. There are quite a few inter-racial couples in Huntsville. I saw a statistic that at least 2/3 of the people in Huntsville are from somewhere else, which indicates people who have lived in diverse areas in the past. If you can afford it, it's the best place for you to be, rather than the outlying areas. It sounds like you've already ruled it out, though.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:49 PM

844 posts, read 418,555 times
Quote:
Believe it or not we had just as many people mention Athens as well as madison. While all of these places to Tanner, as you said (we already have 2 strikes AGAINST us just because we are who we are) After reviewing the crime statistics it appears decatur DOES have a higher rate so not considering there anymore although it cheaper. However I'm speaking of the interactions between police and the citizens in that area as well huntsville included. I definitely appreciate your HONESTY. These are the exact things we need to know about. It's good to be straight to the point. Alabama may be considered our permanent home if things is good. Although many would say its crazy that I immediately mentioned about our race in the beginning. As you can see it makes a BIG difference is where we LAND that's the REASON I mentioned it.

It's like the old saying my husband and I are the "cows in this situation" we are more afraid of you then you are of us considering it US coming into YOUR territory.
That's why I recommended Madison. Huntsville is good as well but maybe a little far for your husband's commute.

I had a coworker who's also a mixed race couple. He's black and she's white. I have NEVER hear him complain about the police although he's black. We did lunch almost everyday so we are pretty open to each other about our opinions.

Perhaps you need to hear from a black person who knows what's it like to live in this area. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on this forum.

ETA:
alternatively you & husband maybe able to plan a "house hunting trip" to visit the area. Connect with a black realtor so you can ask specific questions. Some he/she may not give you a straight answer "for legal reasons " but between a wink & a nod you can get a pretty good idea. For example, during our house hunting trip my realtor said legally I can't answer this question, but if you see I lock door of my car you'd know we're in a not-so-good neighborhood

Last edited by BigfishTim; 07-25-2023 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area