Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 11:13 AM

844 posts, read 418,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Not surprised considering their product lines in Huntsville.

That's also not much money considering the amount DoD has spent in this area of technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 12:20 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Not surprised considering their product lines in Huntsville.

That's also not much money considering the amount DoD has spent in this area of technology.
Correct. It's a relatively small contract for DoD.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffrey View Post
I have a few friends employed there and it seems to be a pretty significant reorg with a bunch of senior management out and an out of state crew brought in to supervise things. Not much reassurance of continued employment for the young, relatively new hires. Shame the communication to the most valued asset appears to be lacking.
Boeing is also hiring.

https://jobs.boeing.com/search-jobs

That’s the way it works, bad news sells. Hopefully the “young, relatively new employees” will learn this media led lesson as it continues in their lifetime. Local news is the worst on this sensationalist format. News covers car crashes and not well flowing traffic.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:59 PM

15 posts, read 7,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Not to take up for the corporate world but these days it is a two way street. There is no loyalty from either side. Corporations lay people off or delete positions and terminate people on a whim.....even when they have been with the company for 20 years. On the other side, the younger generations will quit and take another job every six months if they can get a little more salary and some are never around long enough to ever become productive.

About the only advice I can give someone working in the corporate environment these days is stay sharp, keep your resume up to date and you best keep your credit score up because you may need to move for a job at any time.
I would add, "Be a team player and try to get involved in cross-functional projects/duties". If you can show your worth in multiple areas, you're more likely to survive a re-org, and they might alter or change your duties instead of laying you off. That's been my experience.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:11 PM

653 posts, read 588,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogGuy View Post
I would add, "Be a team player and try to get involved in cross-functional projects/duties". If you can show your worth in multiple areas, you're more likely to survive a re-org, and they might alter or change your duties instead of laying you off. That's been my experience.
It all depends right; do the outgoing people meet the new contract labor category qualifications in terms of education, certifications, years of experience, and rate versus what is required on a new contract and the rates bid for the new contract.

You can be the best worker and team player but when the bean counters get involved then it is only round peg goes in round hole and square peg goes in square hole. Been there and have plenty of tee-shirts.

Old 11-02-2023, 10:16 PM

844 posts, read 418,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogGuy View Post
Not me.

I figured out long ago when it come to the corporate layoffs, they use the manager's list of "totem pole".

Manager ranks the employees in order of importance. When they're told to get rid off X number of people, they go to this totem pole list and notify X number from the bottom.

So just like when hiking in the woods and get attacked by bears, I always appreciate those coworkers who can't run as fast ad I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area