Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 AM

180 posts, read 805,900 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any concerns about the new president cutting military/contractor/civilian jobs tied to MDA, NASA, and future combat systems? I just do not see how our local economy can survive huge cuts in these sectors. These cuts do not just affect jobs on the military/space front but trickle down to local shops, housing jobs, and surrounding business that rely on Arsenal. I have seen military base closures wipe out a whole town and bring down the local economy for years. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Does anyone have any concerns about the new president cutting military/contractor/civilian jobs tied to MDA, NASA, and future combat systems?
Yes I do, but is there anywhere that is less vulnerable? I could go back to LA but the problems with traffic and housing and job cuts are still there.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 AM

180 posts, read 805,900 times
I don't think this news will help recruit new talent for the BRAC. If I was an outsider living in another state, I would definitely have concerns moving to this area. My guess, the BRAC will offset some of the future job cuts the new president will make. Then again, who knows how many new BRAC jobs will actually be created after the cuts.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:40 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,279 times
I had a guy from a small remodeling business come over this afternoon to give me an estimate on some work. He said he couldn't sleep last night after the outcome of the election. He is originally from Detroit and was obviously concerned about the local economy for his small business.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,870 times
When you look at what is planned to be moved here, it would take some staggering cuts to make a dent in Huntsville's future.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 PM

262 posts, read 781,937 times
Default MDA and NASA will take the biggest hits

MDA spends its money on R & D, which by its very nature its expensive. It will be hit hard. Watch for the signs: MDA like most newer agencies is heavily staffed by contractors; if those people (your neighbors) start to lose their jobs Boeing will start to cut back and so on. Nasa produces tangible results but does it have a place of high priority in the new administation? I don't think it is at the top.

Yes Huntsville will take a hit, if you are a contractor be aware the Government keeps it ranks while paring YOU. That is just the way it is. It will take 2 to 3 years for this to happen.

There will be many nay sayers responding to this, I hope you are right.

Last edited by Toymeister; 11-05-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 07:53 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
MDA spends its money on R & D, which by its very nature its expensive. It will be hit hard.
Even if they cut MDA in half Huntsville will end up with a net gain. Some people will lose their jobs or contracts, because some programs within MDA will be cut, but the competent ones will have no trouble finding a new position or customer.

The idea that MDA is an R&D organization is out of date. We are much more an integration, fielding, and test organization these days.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:06 PM

262 posts, read 781,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
The idea that MDA is an R&D organization is out of date. We are much more an integration, fielding, and test organization these days.

Time to ease up on the kool-aid. MDA is funded by 2 year R&D money, period. Don't take my word for it ask your budget person

Why is that important? Why does a detail like the type of money matter??

Imagine yourself as President-Elect Obama's advisor. You need to cut budget (MONEY) to fund your promises, OK. Entitlements: no can do. Cut Dod, OK. Operations money (bullets, soilder's pay), no can't do that hmmmm what about R&D OK. R&D for a mine resistant troop hauler (MWRAP) can't do that (bad press = bad idea). Maybe defense against a threat that most Americans don't think about? Missles?

I don't know it does not sound like too much of a dream to me....

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,483 times
You won't see government spending cuts of any kind for quite a long time. The last thing government does (nor should do) in recession is cut jobs. Government accounts for about 1/3 of GDP, and making cuts that cost jobs only deepens a recession.

Cuts that cost jobs won't be made until after an economic recovery, and after private industry starts bringing people in again (employment is a lagging economic indicator - companies don't start hiring again until we're well into the next "good" cycle).

This will take awhile. Now, come 2010, 2012, you'll certainly see some cuts that will slow Huntsville's growth - but not completely snuff it out or cause contraction. Of course, once the economy is back on track, I think you'll see cutbacks all over the place to reign in obnoxious budget deficits (the costs of two wars, Bush's new bureaucracies (ie homeland security dept), the bailouts, economic stimulus, plus anything Obama might want to do). In all likelihood, Obama is going to find it very difficult to pull off many of the things he proposed prior to the financial crisis reaching boiling point. Of course, by then one could assume under Obama that sooner rather than later, we won't be spending the 10 billion / month in Iraq we are now either.

Don't worry folks, one thing at a time. Obama has to deal with the economy first. Give him a fair shake, I suspect President Obama will govern from the center-left, and I'm a lifelong Democrat. However, while we're in recession, you CAN expect the Dems to spend like mad (as they should). Then, in a couple years expect Republicans to predictably attack that rampant spending in the next election... even though they would be doing the same if roles were reversed (and in fact were spending rampantly prior to the economic crisis). Such is politics; unfortunately for Democrats like me, the masses will probably buy the Republican line... even though spending during a recession is just plain smart economic policy.

But anyway, Huntsville will be fine. I'm hearing a lot of my conservative friends joke about moving to Canada. While moving to Canada (or pretty much any allied nation) was a decent option for Liberals to joke about when Bush was elected, fact is, Canada and most of the world are more liberal than the US... so it doesn't quite work as well for Conservatives.

You'll be fine. Oh yeah, contrary to emails going around, Obama isn't the anti-Christ either.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM

286 posts, read 1,086,420 times
Default Gov GDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
You won't see government spending cuts of any kind for quite a long time. The last thing government does (nor should do) in recession is cut jobs. Government accounts for about 1/3 of GDP, and making cuts that cost jobs only deepens a recession.

Cuts that cost jobs won't be made until after an economic recovery, and after private industry starts bringing people in again (employment is a lagging economic indicator - companies don't start hiring again until we're well into the next "good" cycle).
Ummmm, maybe I forgot what GDP is because how does that relate to jobs? Gov can always spend on other areas (entitlements), so couldn't GDP stay the same if money was moved from DoD to other programs? hmm?

Oh, and we'll stay in Iraq whether dems or repubs are in office. Why would we leave and create a power-grab situation in that area? No siree, we will stay there. Watch. I mean, it wasn't long ago that dems took over congress promising troop removal. soooo, where's the removal? how much time has passed since then? Face reality, let's enjoy our new promising president and look the other way when it comes to the middle east. Iraq is ours, and control will be split between our allies in that region. I read somewhere that Biden even had some sort of plan to split Iraq amongst Saudis and Iranians. And Obama appointing Rahm Emanuel (zionist) as chief of staff, brilliant! I am so glad I voted for Obama because already he shows he is not messing around by choosing Emanuel as the 2nd most powerful person in this nation (it's not the vp spot for all of u who naively thought the VP nominees should have made any difference to your vote).

Last edited by financelife; 11-06-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area