Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM

340 posts, read 724,229 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In todays (Sat) Huntsville Times, the cover story titled "Too Much Income" explains how the housing authority has bought 4 SE apartment complexes for public housing residents.

The article lists Stone Manor off Benaroya Lane (off/behind Bryd Spring road) but it says it will not reveal the other 3 complexes.

Has anyone heard or know which other 3 SE complexes they have purchased? I am not able to find (so far) info on the internet, still looking.

Does anyone have any thoughts how this will affect the Hampton Cove / Grissom area resale values now?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 08:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,427,092 times
Madison Co's Tax Assessor's Office:
Madison County, Alabama Map

"Benaroya" yielded 8 hits.
"Housing Authority" - 100. (use wild card % at beginning/end).
Huntsville City Schools has a street listing with the school name zoned for.

It may be too soon to find any info in the tax records, if the purchase has just been made, it may take up to 6 months for the owner info to be updated.

You might find the property deed sooner if you search here:
Madison County Alabama Assessor

Unless you find more specifics on this HA deal (the other 3 locations) on the internet, it may take a while and may be a bit tedious to go this search route.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,328 times
Default Have you heard anything about location of these?

Have you heard anything about location of these apartments?

=macwell;7986885]Hello,

In todays (Sat) Huntsville Times, the cover story titled "Too Much Income" explains how the housing authority has bought 4 SE apartment complexes for public housing residents.

The article lists Stone Manor off Benaroya Lane (off/behind Bryd Spring road) but it says it will not reveal the other 3 complexes.

Has anyone heard or know which other 3 SE complexes they have purchased? I am not able to find (so far) info on the internet, still looking.

Does anyone have any thoughts how this will affect the Hampton Cove / Grissom area resale values now?

Thanks.[/quote]

Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 AM

889 posts, read 2,399,993 times
Technically, Benaroya is in SW Huntsville. However, that is in Grissom/Whitesburg Middle/Whitesburg Elementary territory. I could probably make a few guesses as to where these others could be, but I won't because I prefer not to start rumors. But I don't think any of the nicer apartments on Bailey Cove are on the list. Again, I'm just guessing though. Anyway, I don't think this should hurt property values in SE Huntsville anymore than the housing projects near downtown hurt Twickenham and Old Town.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Hi All,

Just heard on channel 19, they plan to hold a community meeting tonight to discuss the Housing Authority purchasing the SE partment complexes. Meeting at a church behind/off Logan Drive, I think at 7pm. They are suppose to discuss home values and other questions, just heard the tell end of the story, so did not hear all the details.

I believe the report said they will give details at the 10:00 news update.

I also talked with co-worker today whose wife is a realtor. He is suppose to let me know later what she knows about the locations.

thx.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Hello,

I talked with my friend this evening, it seems the Housing Authority purchased several apartment buildings off Bailey Cove Road, on Mahogany Row. Mahogany Row is behind the grocery store on the corner of Baily Cove Road and Weatherly Road .

Channel 19 was the only news media to cover it, only one I found to report it tonight. They showed a lot of people very upset and someone mentioned a class suit.

This is all information I was given and just wanted everyone to beware of what I found out.

Thanks for everyones feedback.
Please post new information anyone may find out.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 PM

Found them...

Go to the web site below, under the legal tab, then select from
the pulldown TIMBERBROOK S/D, and find there are 3 buildings deeded
to the Housing Authority dated Jan of 2009.

Public Inquiry

Thanks friday13 for the original links to the records

Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Hello,

Quick update, Channel 31 did another story on this issue tonight. There is an upcoming meeting to discuss it further with the mayor on April 6th. There is a short
video clip from a past report on WaayTV web site with the date listed for the meeting.

I could not find the link for the other articles that have been in the Hunstville Times at AL.com for some reason.

thx

Channel 31 -
WaayTV web site
Look under "top video" titled "Stone Manor Follow up:
WAAYTV.com - Huntsville, Alabama - News Weather, Sports | WAAY News and Home

Per waaytv a upcoming meeting is scheduled to discuss the issue.
Chaffee Elementary School
Monday, April 6th
6:30pm
Mayor,councilwoman Moon, HA

Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 PM

Hello,

I posted the feedback below over in the thread named "I'm Moving to Huntsville in 2 Weeks" and then thought I would also add it to this thread. I would like to hear
any feedback from anyone on their thoughts how this will affect the areas.

Thanks!

Post to other thread:
Hello,
Did your co-workers give you 'the look' for SE area before or after the Housing Authority annouced they were purchasing several apartment complexes in the SE area? This may be the reason.

There is major concern now over the SE home resale values and crime. I have talked with co-workers and the concern is real. I am concerned how this wil affect the Hampton Cove area since most of the shopping is in the SE area. A co-worker
remarked he believes this is the 'begining of the end for SE'. If this is true, then Hampton Cove and Jones Valley will be affected by the decline of the SE area. Only
time will tell how things will hold up.

Its interesting the same similiar issues are now occuring over in the City of Madison over school zones. From reading the article in the Huntsville Times, states "The changes in zone lines are based mostly on creating an equal socioeconomic environment at each school, Fowler said."
(see article below).

School plan gets mixed reviews
School plan gets mixed reviews - al.com

I am interested in the Hampton Cove area, but now plan to wait and relook at other areas outside of Madison County. I would rather drive 30-45 minutes
and know that the City of Huntsville or City of Madison will not force their own agenda of creating an equal socialeconomic plan among its communities.
Just my 2 cents.
thx

Information concerning the Housing Authority purchasing SE apartment complexes. I could not find the link for the articles that have been in the Hunstville Times at AL.com for some reason.

Channel 31 - WaayTV web site
Look under "top video" titled "Stone Manor Follow up:
WAAYTV.com
Per waaytv a upcoming meeting is scheduled to discuss the issue.
Chaffee Elementary School
Monday, April 6th
6:30pm
Attending will be the Huntsville Mayor, councilwoman Moon, and HA

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 AM

889 posts, read 2,399,993 times
Good lord! The sky is falling! SE Huntsville might be home to a housing project! Hampton Cove beware!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area