Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,722,573 times

Advertisements

Mawoods...still have the three flitting around - looks like twos males and a female. I think one has nested right in a tall tree near the outbuilding, hearing much vocal throttling from there on a regular basis. They've become so relaxed that they perch right on the Powderpuff tree on the deck, chill. No pics, though...maybe next year.

Husband and I went around and priced the Home Improvement variety of all-things-pathway, and came back with the idea that we'll use some sort of hefty gravel for now...and flagstones or pavers. Edging where it needs it.
He's grumpy, so I'll be perfectly happy with the decision. LALALA.
As for the berm, I do plan to leave it (it will continue to settle down) and perhaps start some low Juniper or other tough evergreen groundcover to flow over it. Have to trim the mess on the side retaining wall anyway, so might try starting some cuttings from that. Free is GOOD, my friends.

The areas around the trees, now 'anchored' to the path, are on hiatus. I will probably just mulch those again and wait until Spring to figure out how I want to incorporate that area. I have several ideas but need to draw it out. (I usually plan everything ahead, but this whole deal was a bit impulsive. Can you tell?)

Last edited by 33458; 09-21-2009 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,849,766 times
Our hummers got use to us soon in the spring as we have a small yard now. They would ignore us and buzz around us. It was fascinating to be sitting on the patio and have a hummer less than 3 feet from us at the flowers. Once had one come to the feeder just as I had taken it off the pole to clean and refill. I just stood there and watched him. I guess he thought I was the pole!

Good luck on your projects. I envy you having a big yard. We just can't do it anymore. BTW, we were at our Lowe's Friday night and they had all their pine straw for 1.75/bale. We helped them get rid of it fast.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,038,187 times
I had a close-encounter with a humming bird today !

This morning when I went out to get my paper, I noticed there's this humming bird feeding on my Salvia flowers, so I frozed and just watching this little guy. Well, he/she buzzed around and, all of sudden, it was facing me looking at me directly from no more than 10 feet away. We actually made "eye contact" as he/she tried to figure out this object in front has any nectar to suck on.

It was quite an amazing moment as I can see the rapid moving wings but his/her chest was full with shinning feathers, while its little feet neatly tugged away under the feathers. Ours eyes locked as if we were communicating in binary codes. It was a beautiful moment.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,849,766 times
HB2HSV - so glad that you had an encounter with a hummer up close. Nothing like it. Next year put up a feeder and they will return every year to it. You can also watch hummer wars = very fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area