Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,061,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
I think it is true that very little nice landscaping is done in North AL., Charles. Compare parts of Atlanta and Florida. However, I think that what we have seen in other areas is that the developer be it for a gas station, mall or neighborhood is REQUIRED to have major landscaping with setbacks and even wide sidewalks for walkers from the neighborhoods to the commercial. It can be done without the city paying I think. If the developer wants to build, he has to go by the city's requirements. They just don't require it here. We have seen even very wide heavy landscaped buffers required between the mall and the neighborhood. As the vegetation grows, it makes a huge difference about the feel of the area.
I'm not sure if Madison has those requirements, it would be great if they did, but with Huntsville pratically surrounding the city, implementing that would be very difficult.

If Madison makes it more expensive for a developer to build, then they can quite literally go across the street and build in Huntsville.

In regards to Brownsferry Rd., I have heard in the past that with the completed intersection at I-65, that that entire section will eventually be a commercial corridor all the way into Madison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,591,990 times
Thanks for the info--good to know! Hmmm--good thing Mill Creek is finished. So everyone buying or who has bought off of Brown's Ferry will have major issues as well. Welcome to progress.

For sale: one overpriced house in a great school district convenient to gas stations and mini marts. Woohoo....

Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM

But seriously, what about the roads? Are they going to widen Browns Ferry and Balch? I guess then I understand exactly what is going on: Balch becomes Browns Ferry. Looks like we'll have wider roads and tons of commercial along those two major roads. Given that the hospital is being built near Balch, I'd wager that's why a gas station on the corner of Gillespie and Balch looks super attractive to the city. Man, think of the revenue!

Guess any objectors will lose. But it's worth a shot.

Now, anybody got info and data to back up the Browns Ferry commercial corridor claim? Info and data on widening roads?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Does anyone in the realty business have numbers to show what sales figures were like for the subdivisions next to Publix Shopping Center? In particular, next to the back end of it? DM me if you'd like.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM

Wonder what a gas station or fast food place would do to our residential area's crime rate. This happened in Madison.

Chick-Fil-A employee robbed at gun point | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,990,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post

In regards to Brownsferry Rd., I have heard in the past that with the completed intersection at I-65, that that entire section will eventually be a commercial corridor all the way into Madison.
I can confirm this from having recently talking to a neighbor who works for HSV Chamber of Commerce. Brownsferry between I-65 and Countyline will be widen to accommodate future traffic. Don't know when that will happen though.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
But seriously, what about the roads? Are they going to widen Browns Ferry and Balch?
I read somewhere that they plan to extend Balch down to Mill road?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I read somewhere that they plan to extend Balch down to Mill road?
It is already extended to Mill. I think you mean that it is to be further extended to Palmer Rd. And that is on the Madison city master road plan.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Also, here is a map of what is planned for Madison Lakes:

Huntsville Development News: Madison Lakes, hotel go before Madison Planning Board

Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
Also, here is a map of what is planned for Madison Lakes:

Huntsville Development News: Madison Lakes, hotel go before Madison Planning Board
Interesting. That news is 14 months old. So far we have not see the construction begins. Sometime I wonder how many of these "plans" actually become reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area