Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,199,126 times

Advertisements

As I was responding to one of the other threads, this got me thinking. What is everyone's SHTF plan if faced with an imminent threat of a MAJOR hurricane? Let's say you had 24 hours or less to take action!

Would you pack up and run?
Would you batten down the hatches and wait out the storm?
Would you stay around locally, or would you flee Florida?
What would you take with you? What would you leave behind?
Where would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:15 PM

262 posts, read 938,712 times
Prichard, these are very important questions, thank you for posting them.

Having 24 hours or less is a realistic scenario, esp. for us gulf coast residents - there is often very little warning. Look at Charlie. Originally predicted to hit Tampa Bay as a 1-or-maybe-2, it actually punched Port Charlotte as a horrifying 4. Had it made it to Tampa Bay, it would most likely have been a 5. Just imagine a 5 slamming into Tampa Bay - the consequences would be appalling (think Andrew was bad?) And no one here would have been prepared for a 5, not in time to do what was necessary. Remember, as late as the morning of the 13th, we weren't expecting a major hurricane. Port Charlotte wasn't expecting a direct landfall at all.

So, on to the questions.......

Would we pack up and run? Not for a cat 1. We would certainly WANT to leave for a major one, but with less than 24 hours warning, you're talking complete gridlock. It would be a nightmare.

Would you batten down the hatches and ride out the storm? Anyone living in a flood zone should get to high ground - which there isn't a lot of in Pinellas. Also, our older wood homes and mobiles wouldn't stand a chance in a major hit.

Would you stay around locally or would you flee FL? IF there was sufficient time to get the heck out, I would want to do that. We already have an evac route planned, that we are familiar with (this is VERY important - be familiar with your evac route because you'll be quite stressed - and maybe distracted - when fleeing a hurricane).

What would you take with you, what would you leave behind? My husband and I have actually tried to plan this out. Obviously, you'd want to have an evac kit containing your important papers, food & water (in case of getting stranded), lots of clean clothes, blankets, and mementos, family photos etc that mean a lot to you, and cash. (Of course, pet owners would need to take their pets or board them at a safe kennel.)

Where would you go? In some locations, this would be determined by which direction the hurricane is coming from and what its track is forecast to be. This should be planned and discussed before Season gets underway.

When Georges threatened, I actually knew someone who fled early and didn't stop till they reached Atlanta.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,777,875 times
For up to cat 3 I am staying. All my valuable papers and small stuff are in the safe, which is gasketed watertight. All I have to do is pull down the shutter/awnings and start the car and go, off to my parent's home. If the storm is going there I will go to FIU and the shelter. In the future if I stay in Florida and move inland we will have a hurricane bowling party during any comming storms.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:01 PM

262 posts, read 938,712 times
Oh my! I just figured out what the SHTF stood for

Old 07-13-2007, 07:04 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,303,916 times
Would you pack up and run? Only if I was ORDERED to in spite of living in a block construction home.

Would you batten down the hatches and wait out the storm? I would prefer to batten down the hatches and ride it out but I would NOT jeopardize my childs life or my own staying behind. I would prefer to put up the plywood, cut the power main to the house, gather us all in the laundry room which has no outside walls and ride it out.

I would prefer to NOT go too far so I could return quickly.

What would you take with you? What would you leave behind? We would take our animals (three cats, one dog), our lap top computers, family photos, a couple books that I value highly, a collection of limited edition lithographs, paintings, my .38 Smith and Wesson...I drive an Expedition by the way.

Where would you go? I would try to get out of the way without going so far that I would have a hard time getting back.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:53 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,100,105 times
For a Cat 4 or 5, I'd do a lot of praying!

I think it would be a good idea to leave, but since all my family is within 40 miles of me, I cannot imagine my leaving the state and leaving them behind.

I think we'd try to ride it out at home after battening down the hatches and make sure all our family had a safe place to stay during the storm.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM

198 posts, read 960,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
As I was responding to one of the other threads, this got me thinking. What is everyone's SHTF plan if faced with an imminent threat of a MAJOR hurricane? Let's say you had 24 hours or less to take action!

Would you pack up and run?
Would you batten down the hatches and wait out the storm?
What would you take with you? What would you leave behind?
Where would you go?
We would stay. We have acquired all the essential supplies, shutters, braces, etc and really have no where else to go. Our house is recently built so we feel somewhat safe where we are. ALso, there are no open bodies of water around and we are far enough inland to not get even a cat 5 surge....

Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,848,209 times
Default I've seen a few...

Working in the Electric Utility field gives me a unique vantage point, when it comes to hurricanes. I go where the storms go..... from La. to NC.

Clearly the worst of them was Andrew 1992 in Homestead/South Dade, next was Hugo. Having seen the good and bad of home construction, I employeed this information when I built my own home in 1995. I'm confident about the construction, but more than 145 mph or forcasted above that mark...... I would evacuate my family.

My initial plan is to stay... and I've made preparations to do so,... you know the shutters, generator, supplies. However for me... I'm considered a first responder so I can't leave. If the "event" looks like a strong cat 4 or 5 , I'm prepared to take shelter.

My home has a "storm room" built in... actually it's a walk in closet
(my wife's) . It is membrane constructed, and very stout.

I'd like to mention a few things about construction styles and materials, especially to those who think concrete block construction is better than frame construction in a hurricane.
Most homes (99%) use wood roofs. It is the roof that fails... not the walls. The key to maintain the integrity of the structure is to keep wind (high pressure) from building up between the outer roof and the inner ceiling (attic area). What happens next is the ceiling blows in or collaspes because the dry wall is soaking wet and next..... the roof comes off.
Been there... seen it.
Number one place wind enters is ... vented soffits. Especially if they aren't supported by the trusses or re-inforced with lumber. Yup... same applies to concrete block homes. Soffits often are attached with # 6 aluminum nails and no more.
Number two place... failed garage doors. AS soon as people started driving around after Andrew... I was perplexed by the large numbers of back window on cars that were broke or busted out. Garage door... blew in and hit back window. and then... yup ... another place for wind to get in.
Number three place... screen rooms, especially those that are under roof.... that is the main roof of the house. People boared up their sliders or doors insde the screen room, rather than the outer screened area... yup... more wind under the roof.
When I observed failed homes.... that is, those in Hurricane Andrew that actually were rubble (not counting trailers) , they were ALL concrete block. Why? because they didn't have tie beams and use rebar in the walls. The home was actually to "brittle". However... new concrete homes use rebar up to the tie-beam and pour columns in the block. Still brittle... but stronger. Now they just crack, and cracks can be patched.
The best roof material is 5V crimp galvalume with lots of screws... and screwed into the trusses, not just the plywood. Next would be standing seam. The worst material is barrel tile... commonly used on concrete block homes. The tile is esentially glued on (patch concrete) Once they start to go... it's a domino affect and they make horrific projectiles. I will say however in a cat 1 or maybe a weak 2... barrel tile is OK. Shingles work good... but the cheaper non dimensional (flat) shingles work best, but don't stand up under the Florida Sun. 30 yr arch. is a good choice. (I have on my roof).

Maybe this is not the best thread to share... but good stuff to remember.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,563,299 times
Bend over and place head firmly between knees and kiss your mule good by

Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,563,299 times
Exclamation CAT 4 or 5

Bend over and place head firmly between knees and kiss your mule good by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes