Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,880 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving from the Idaho Falls area to Ammon in about a month. Wondering if anyone has any experience with any local moving companies or any recommendations? We have a lot of heavy furniture so don't really want to ask friends/neighbors, plus a larger truck means less loads. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 07:23 AM

Thought I'd give an update...we moved and used InterWest moving and storage in Idaho Falls. They were fabulous to work with. Nice guys that worked hard. We really appreciated them!

Old 09-27-2014, 12:10 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Question Good to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweb View Post
Thought I'd give an update...we moved and used InterWest moving and storage in Idaho Falls. They were fabulous to work with. Nice guys that worked hard. We really appreciated them!
hweb,

Good info. How far in advance did you retain the services of this company? How do they bill..by the amount of furniture moved, distance or other? Did they pack breakable items or did you?

Sharing more of the process would be helpful. You also mentioned storage. Please tell us more about that.

Thanks

MSR

Old 10-02-2014, 04:14 PM

We called them about 4 weeks in advance. They had someone come to our home and give us an informal estimate of the time it might take. They charge by the hour, and the charge includes the truck, movers, and everything they used. They would do the packing but we chose to do it ourselves to save some $$. Since we were just moving locally, we took all of our valuable and breakable items ourselves, except our china, which I carefully packed and they moved without any problems. We just got the boxes from Home Depot. Lowe's boxes are a few cents cheaper, but Home Depot's were MUCH better quality.

We had them load our house into a truck on a Friday, which took 8 hours. They unloaded into our new house on a Monday, which also took 8 hours. The total cost was about 2600.00. They are also a storage company but we didn't use their storage services.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM

Default Good Info

Quote:
We called them about 4 weeks in advance. They had someone come to our home and give us an informal estimate of the time it might take. They charge by the hour, and the charge includes the truck, movers, and everything they used. They would do the packing but we chose to do it ourselves to save some $$. Since we were just moving locally, we took all of our valuable and breakable items ourselves, except our china, which I carefully packed and they moved without any problems. We just got the boxes from Home Depot. Lowe's boxes are a few cents cheaper, but Home Depot's were MUCH better quality.

We had them load our house into a truck on a Friday, which took 8 hours. They unloaded into our new house on a Monday, which also took 8 hours. The total cost was about 2600.00. They are also a storage company but we didn't use their storage services.

Hweb,

Thanks for the information. I don't think I asked you about sq.ft. of the new house. Not that it matters. Probably a better question is how many truckloads?

Did you get a bid from anyone else? The cost seems high to me to move ~10 miles or less. But I don't know. Your post will help others.

Thanks

MSR

Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
...We just got the boxes from Home Depot. Lowe's boxes are a few cents cheaper, but Home Depot's were MUCH better quality...
Very useful tidbit of information. Thanks.

If I can ask a follow-up questions...what packing tape did you use?

Old 10-12-2014, 06:48 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
When I last moved, I found a box of Glad Press 'N Seal came in very handy. I used it to cover all the small boxes that open on top. It worked especially well on plastic bins. The stuff sticks to itself very well, and I used it to wrap up pairs of shoes, odd kitchen utensils, and similar things. It acts almost like super wide packing tape if you wrap it completely around something and stick it to itself.

I used 3M clear shipping tape when I last moved, and it worked fine on the boxes.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:00 AM

We bought 'Scotch' brand moving tape from Home Depot and that worked great. At the end we bought some additional tape from Lowes (I think it was Lowes brand), and that was awful!! So glad we were almost done by that point. The moving company charged 155/hour, which included 4 movers, the truck, and their supplies like furniture covers, etc. I agree it was a costly expense, but we have a lot of heavy furniture and 7 people in our family, and were glad not to have to move all of it ourselves. They filled a semi trailer. I didn't get a formal bid from anyone else, but checked into a few other options online and that seemed to be pretty average. We probably could have saved money when they moved us in, but we chose to have them place most of the boxes and all of the furniture exactly where we wanted it, so that took extra time. Our new home is 3 levels, so that was worth it to us. The other thing I learned is that moving is a PAIN!!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 PM

Does temperature have anything to do with costs? That could be cold or hot....... probably not for so close.

If anyone knows, please post.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM

Going to bump this as it is good info for current and new residents. Maybe hweb will post again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: