Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:32 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

This will be an evolving thread as one potential addressed on KPVI in Monday's news doesn't have a link yet. I'm guessing there could be a counter move too.

Some brief history. Severely injured or critically ill patients in Eastern Idaho ( Western WY and Southern MT) were served by Life Flight from Portneuf Medical Center ( PMC) in Pocatello and AIR -Air Idaho Rescue at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center (EIRMC) in Idaho Falls. About three- four years ago, Omni joined AIR and added a second full time air medical team, based at the airport in Idaho Falls. Omni uses a fixed wing and travels ~ 300 mph. Last summer, 2014, EIRMC added a second rotary helicopter to the fleet for about six months.

One day last summer I saw both AIR Idaho Choppers were landing. I finally felt a little more at home as I'm use to two - four choppers landing at Trauma I facilities. I use to live in what was the direct flight path of two different medical helicopters. I knew which hospital would be receiving a patient or patients based on the difference in their sound. Somedays, given the need, the Army would fly a third helicopter in the same flight path. Oh, the glory days

I got a pic of one of the AIR Idaho choppers landing at EIRMC less than five minutes apart. I posted it on my Facebook wall and wrote, "They will never go back to just one chopper in the summer, if at all." Cleosmom may remember that (or not)

We probably were told about the helicopter changes starting in Jan. 2015. EIRMC was moving AIR Idaho ' s Base to the Driggs airport. Some days last summer they averaged eight flights/ďay. The move will give critically ill or injured patients in the Tetons, Jackson Hole and Driggs about 15 -20 minutes more they are being treated/transported to the hospital in the Golden Hour vs. waiting those 15 - 20 minutes for a chopper and certain treatments to be started on the way back to EIRMC. Soon after, we were told Life Flight Networks.

The second change was Life Flight Network, in Ore, creating a new base at Madison Memorial Hospital (MMH) in Rexburg. They plan to make a lot of flights between Yellowstone National Park, S. Montana and Rexburg to EIRMC. Apparently, about the same time Life Flight Network's contract would be ending at Portneuf, Life Flight Network had decided to move that helicopter from Pocatello to Cassia Memorial Hospital in Burley. Here's a link:
Life Flight Network To Relocate Out Of Pocatello, Fly Out Of Two New Bases - KPVI News 6 - Pocatello, ID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 02:25 AM

Here is a press release by Teton Valley Hospital. Notice at the end it mentions EIRMC will have the "Seasonal Rotary at YNP this summer as well.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25R...p=docslist_api

For those counting, this means no medical helicopter from Ogden or Syracuse, UT north on I-15 to Rexburg, ID close to the mostly 80 mph Interstates that split at Tremonton, UT. From Tremonton, I-84 is a lonely road for 113 miles to Burley. I can see wisdom moving a chopper to Burley, with the speed limit. Scene flights could happen much quicker on I-84.

While I see the benefits of I-84 from American Falls to Burley and between Burley and Tremonton, I wonder what helicopter will respond to MVAs on I-15 essentially from the state border or at least Malad. Yes, there are small hospitals In Malad (currently without a local physician) and small Downey, if it is still open. Portneuf use to cover these. Then there are the ~ 150+ K residents between Pocatello - Idaho Falls - what chopper will respond to an accident N. of Blackfoot, the one in Rexburg?

On the night news Monday, apparently a different Medical Helicopter service is talking about putting a chopper at Portneuf, with the other service's logo on it. We'll see what happens.

I understand the need for medical helicopters in areas closer to the National Parks etc. This is sounding convoluted to me. Counting Burley, four choppers will be available to Eastern ID residents and visitors. And the Omni AIR Idaho fixed wing plane is available too. It simply seems to me the largest metro and the 167 miles between Tremonton to Rexburg are not well covered.

How do you feel learning that a chopper will have to fly from Burley, Driggs or Rexburg, if you are driving 80 mph on I-15 and have an accident with severe injuries. What if your injuries are severe enough that you need a chopper not an ambulance, because YOUR OWN Golden Hour is ticking away? I'm not fond of this fact.

Please post any thoughts, feelings or ideas you have. Someone you know will have to wait for care somewhere. Remember how busy are ambulances already are.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-10-2015 at 03:25 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
You post some informative posts, most can be found on the news websites, but some are very informative even to those of us who read the local news on the local websites. HOWEVER. the 80 mph speed thing it getting ludicrous.

Why don't you ask how people feel about traveling secondary roads where head on collisions are more likely, and missing a chopper? Some may read your posts and think that due to the 80 mph, the interstates are littered with vehicle pileups and the people are dying in the ditches.

Maybe that is one reason why a large number of your posts are never answered, they are similar to diary; only you are writing...

As for me, time to move on...I beginning to believe my retired federal employees sites to be more fun....

Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM

Default Arrive at Your Conclusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
You post some informative posts, most can be found on the news websites, but some are very informative even to those of us who read the local news on the local websites. HOWEVER. the 80 mph speed thing it getting ludicrous.

Why don't you ask how people feel about traveling secondary roads where head on collisions are more likely, and missing a chopper? Some may read your posts and think that due to the 80 mph, the interstates are littered with vehicle pileups and the people are dying in the ditches.

Maybe that is one reason why a large number of your posts are never answered, they are similar to diary; only you are writing...

As for me, time to move on...I beginning to believe my retired federal employees sites to be more fun....
F5,

Not every post or thread is intended to have 30+ responses.

You will formulate your opinion of me like you do everyone else; using your internal criteria. That is fine with me. You know almost next to nothing about me or my training/work. You have not lived in Idaho a full year yet, so I'm unclear how you respond without knowing more facts, as you do.

This is Trauma country for 300K+ people. Visitors and especially physicians considering moving here contact me often for more information. Do you get contacted as well?

Say what you want about me given what you don't know. But understand your posts also say quite a bit about you.

I hope you found some funny things to laugh about. There is a Joke forum here too, you may want to try that for laughs. Enjoy your day

MSR

Old 03-13-2015, 12:59 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Quote:

There are a lot of people who are looking to move to the IF area. Maybe they did not see this story on the TV news or read about it in the News paper. This might be the medical information they need to make a Decisions to move here to Eastern Idaho. They might read this post three months from now!
I for one like to see MRS post information that might be Beneficial to someone.
People view on CD and go back a couple of years on information they are looking for about a state. I do
it. I like to see what the the people are talking about a town or if it has changed, Good/Bad, in a few years past.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:22 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I appreciate MSR's threads. Some of us don't care to read the news sites due to political infusion and therefore might miss a beat or two.

I suggest if you're not phased by whatever the thread is, then move on to what does grab your interest

As stated, it also can help those contemplating a move to the area, when one is moving, knowledge is power.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Default Extra Chopper at PMC

I'm glad to see this chopper at Portneuf Medical Center. Now emergencies in the back-country as well as severe medical emergencies have a helicopter at Madison Memorial in Rexburg and this one at Portneuf to respond, as well as any traumas on I-15.

One concept the reporter didn't totally understand is this chopper, like the other four in the region, will transport the patient to the closest hospital which can handle the severity of the injury or medical emergencies. That won't always be Portneuf. But at least now if a scene flight is needed between Poky and Ogden, the patient won't be waiting for a chopper from Ogden or Burley to arrive.

Portneuf Medical Center unveils new emergency helicopter | News - Home

Old 04-28-2015, 05:52 PM

While I question moving a chopper to Burley, since Twin Falls and Poky each have one, I don't question the need for at least four in eastern ID. I must live beneath a direct a direct flight path, which is fine with me. Last week I heard three choppers and one just flew over me.

While many flights are medical (cardiac and pulmonary, strokes in particular) plus high risk OB and neonates are flown some, usually it is Neuro trauma, blunt injuries with massive blood loss, there should be a bit of a shift in some flown to EIRMC. The PICU has been open two years. They have the peds critical care doctors in place and this summer there should be a new pediatric anesthesiologist joining the adult anesthesiologists. That means more kids will have surgery in Idaho Falls after traumas and elective surgeries. Less will have to be transported to PCMC in SLC or St. Luke's in Boise. Sometime this year construction should start on the Peds Critical Care Tower. It will be built over the NÃŒCU upward.

With some of the posts f5 and I have seen the past 24 hrs., I think my caution about tourists from more than one state away are justified. I've never really seen someone post from out-of-state, who seemed to think their home state's traffic and speed rules would apply in Idaho. If you are confused, check the last 2.5 pages of the 80 mph speed limit thread.

I'm glad we have the choppers and facilities to care for very ill and injured patients. Be careful this week, all the Neuroradiologists except one are at a neuro imaging meeting. I'm not sure if those served by Portneuf know the five or six radiologists joined the growing MIA group based in Idaho Falls. Good things are coming

Keep on Rocking in the Real World

Old 04-28-2015, 06:20 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Sorry to disagree. Yes, there were some strange posts, but I will again stress that people note the speed limits of the states they enter to drive through. If they don't they are probably too stupid to have a driver's license.

People understand that if it is 80 mph in ID, it might not be so in NV (and you really get a wakeup call when entering OR which appears to be still back in the stone age with a max of 65 mph). It just makes common sense when traveling.

In some cases, it might take a few posted speed limit signs to sink in or be noticed (passing a large truck just as you pass the sign for one), but since posted speed limit signs are posted at almost every entrance to the interstate, there are plenty of chances to see the speed limit. (In fact, engineering regulatory recommendations are to post a speed limit sign within x-number of feet of an interstate entrance ramp.) But not all states follow these recommendations, but still they are posted quite often.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:30 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Sorry to disagree. Yes, there were some strange posts, but I will again stress that people note the speed limits of the states they enter to drive through. If they don't they are probably too stupid to have a driver's license.

People understand that if it is 80 mph in ID, it might not be so in NV (and you really get a wakeup call when entering OR which appears to be still back in the stone age with a max of 65 mph). It just makes common sense when traveling.

In some cases, it might take a few posted speed limit signs to sink in or be noticed (passing a large truck just as you pass the sign for one), but since posted speed limit signs are posted at almost every entrance to the interstate, there are plenty of chances to see the speed limit. (In fact, engineering regulatory recommendations are to post a speed limit sign within x-number of feet of an interstate entrance ramp.) But not all states follow these recommendations, but still they are posted quite often.
Yup!
Anyone who crosses into Oregon needs to pay close attention to the speed limits. The Interstate speed limits in Oregon is 65 mph, and it's strictly enforced in E. Oregon.

I learned the hard way about 10 years ago, while driving a car I'd never driven before for only about 10 minutes. It was a Canadian car, so the speedo was in KMH, and I was trying to figure out how fast I was going when the cop pulled me over. I had just seen a speed limit sign a couple of minutes before and was slowing down.
I was doing 73, and the ticket cost $360!

It also helps to carry some cash while traveling in Montana. The speed limit there is 80, and enforcement is lax, but everyone there drives very fast. If you are pulled over, a ticket is $50, and if you pay the cop on the spot, you're free to travel on. A cop will pull you over there if you are driving just under the speed limit in the passing lane sometimes.

In idaho the passing lane is just another lane. I've watched drivers stay in the passing lane going 70 for over an hour while everyone passes them on the right. Montana wants that passing lane to be clear unless a driver is actually passing another car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls