Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:45 PM

408 posts, read 430,660 times

Advertisements

I own a 10-year-old Kia Spectra (front wheel drive) and will be driving from Idaho Falls to Seattle next week alone. I have brand new tires but am worried about weather. I'm not much of a winter weather person. Does anyone know the best route to take (either going down through Boise and up through Oregon) or through Montana? I'd like to avoid as many sketchy mountain passes as possible. I also do not own chains for my car. Are those advised? My co-worker who has driven to Oregon a few times in the winter said I should be OK without chains. But I wasn't sure. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 08:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Looking at the forecasts, I would advise the I-15 to I-86, to I-84 to I-82 route. However, this weather track does change to the south next week, so I'm not sure what days you are driving. If the next storm moves more south, then just do the opposite of what I just said! This is what is so interesting about weather. Look to weather.com, they usually have it spot on. (BTW: the opposite is north on I-15, west on I-90 and straight shot into Seattle.)

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-12-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Hi, xx…
there's a sketchy pass or two no matter which route you choose. I have driven them all, but never alone the entire way.

I think that if winter driving spooks you, nyour best route is using the Interstates all the way. It's longer than some others, but the Interstates always get the first attention after a storm, and are the most heavily patrolled, so help is faster to come if you slide off or something. But at the same time, they have the most traffic too, which can present dangers of its own.

Buy a set of chains and learn how to put them on and take them off. Odds are you probably won't need to use them, but if they are needed, then relying on 4-season tires won't cut it. And if caught in a severe blizzard, even the best winter tires, specialized for ice and snow, may not cut it either. Chains will get you through when anything else will not. But they are no good unless you know how to put them on fast. It's not hard, but it takes practice; you don't want to be standing out in the middle of a blizzard blowing 60mph in -45 wind chill reading the instructions on the bag in the dark after sunset.

Truthfully, the only pass that really bothers me is Snowqualmie Pass in Washington. it's a lot like Donner Pass in California- long steady grades in country where the snow is very wet and is prone to avalanche. There are avalanche sheds protecting the Interstate in the worst areas, but my native Idaho experience says any exposed slope can avalanche, and there are a lot of them on Snowqualmie. And since the snow is always heavy when it snows, chains are a big comfort even if you won't ever need them.

Hope this helps. I drive a FWD myself, and have Bilzzak winter tires on for the season. The Blizzaks have always been the best winter tires I've ever used, but I would buy a set of chains, just in case, if I planned to drive over any of the passes that divide the coast from the inland areas. The Blue Mountains in Oregon and the passes in Washington are all prone to have the same conditions as Snowqualmie.

As far as a route goes, I would take I-15 to Butte and then connect with I-90 West and stick with it all the way to Seattle. This route has plenty of places along the way where you can get off the road for some refreshment and a good stretch. If it was me, I would plan on going as far as Missoula or Coeur d'Alene, and then call it a night in either city. C d'A is about 100 miles farther down the road.

All the passes along this route are easy, with the single exception of Snowqualmie, and even that one can be no problems as it tends to be warmer there than the Mon-Ida pass, so as often as not, slush is what is confronted, not snow and ice.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Snoqualmie is rarely chain-required. The transportation people tend to dwell on it because of the heavy traffic, but the pass itself is below 3K feet, and unless things have changed, you can bypass chain requirements here because nobody checks, unless under extreme conditions.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:12 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
Agree, with both posts above. Take I15 to Butte, and connect with I90 west. Best to stay on the busy interstate hwy's in case of trouble. Snowqualmie will be your biggest problem with snow, if the snow level is low?? Do you have weather app on your cell phone? I would download one, you might need it for travel? Links below!

Montana Traveler and Weather Information

Washington State Traveler Information

My Idaho Weather- SE Idaho I-15 Road Webcams -
Scott

Old 12-12-2015, 11:21 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Snoqualmie is rarely chain-required. The transportation people tend to dwell on it because of the heavy traffic, but the pass itself is below 3K feet, and unless things have changed, you can bypass chain requirements here because nobody checks, unless under extreme conditions.
Ah, snow level with this storm is supposed to drop to 2500 ft.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:34 PM

I learned long ago that it's better to have it and not need it than vice versa when traveling in the winter. I have a 10 year old space blanket in my car that has never been used, but it's mighty cheap frostbite insurance. So is the knit cap I stuffed in the same bag.

I agree with the others that Snowqualmie is more likely to be no big deal than not, but trying to predict the weather is something I don't fool with when I take a trip.

Tire chains last forever. At $100 or so, they are the cheapest alternative to potential trouble of anything else I can think of.
And a person can always sell them if they are never used.

Scott hit the nail on the head. The I-15/I-90 route has the most traffic and the most cities along the route. The last time I went to Bellvue, the heavy fog that settled over the interstate around Moses Lake was the most worrisome part of that trip. It was completely opaque and I could only do not more than 20mph for the 20 miles it took to reach Moses Lake. Longest 20 miles I ever drove. I was really glad Moses Lake was as close as it was!

And of course, the next morning was clear and bright. That's winter in the west. I made sure my present car had fog lights.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:25 PM

168 posts, read 174,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Agree, with both posts above. Take I15 to Butte, and connect with I90 west. Best to stay on the busy interstate hwy's in case of trouble. Snowqualmie will be your biggest problem with snow, if the snow level is low?? Do you have weather app on your cell phone? I would download one, you might need it for travel? Links below!

Montana Traveler and Weather Information

Washington State Traveler Information

My Idaho Weather- SE Idaho I-15 Road Webcams -
Scott
I have to agree with Scott

I15 to Butte (technically just west of Butte), to I90 West.
These routes are typically the best maintained, with the least closures.

Been there, done that, many times.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 AM

408 posts, read 430,660 times
Thanks everyone appreciate the advice. I did buy some chains in case I need them and planning to aim for partway on Saturday, and the remaining haul on Sunday. It's looking like Snoqualmie is getting quite a bit of snow these next few days. Looks like it may get precipitation Sunday (when I'd be crossing over) but snow at 2,500-3,000 feet so hopefully it'd be mostly rain. Either way, I'm planning to just go pretty slow over the pass. Don't care if I'm THAT person. It's looking like there will be snow no matter which route I take I-84 or I-15 and I-90, so I suppose I'll just wait until Saturday morning, see which has the best weekend forecast and choose accordingly.

Also thank you for posting those handy links. Super helpful.

WSDOT - Weather Warning

Old 12-16-2015, 08:21 AM

I like to stop in Missoula or Coeur d'Alene. C d'A is a good midway point, but doing it in 2 days makes for a pretty long drive in both. An early start on one day will cut the other's time down.
Hope you have a happy and fun visit. You will be going through a lot of beautiful country!

p.s. I did it several times in a Kia Sportage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls