Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 14,192 times

Advertisements

We are considering a position in Idaho Falls at INL and after reviewing quite a few of the previous threads about the area (some from a few years ago), we have a few questions that we are hoping someone from the area can help with.

We are an African American family. We have 3 middle school age children(12yo, 11yo, 11yo) that are heavy into STEM. What are the schools like? What school districts stand out? We enjoy water activities, riding atv, hiking, skiing, and soccer. We currently live in western SC with its mountains and lakes and 4 seasons (fairly mild winters). We know that in IF, there will be a more distinct winter...however...as outdoorsy people..will that be a problem for us? In other words, what do folks do for entertainment during the colder months?

We read that those who are non LDS have a difficult time meeting people, can someone give advice on how they meet people?

One thread stated that IF folks are very welcoming to all races , would others agree?

What about your active seniors? Our in-laws travel to visit us often and would like to know about the active senior population? They enjoy the YMCA.

Our home budget would be in the 300k-400k range with at least an acre? Waterfront? A google search offered slim pickings in IF. Can someone suggest where else we should look?

Any information on working at INL? Stressful?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. It is greatly appreciated as we consider this big move that will be cross country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 01:57 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't live in IF.

Schools all over Idaho are more than adequate for children who have parental support and participation. If your kids are already good at STEM subjects, then you are most likely already encouraging them.

IF will have more winter. Winter and snow aren't bad to deal with if you have the correct clothing and equipment. There are all sorts of wonderful outdoor activities in the area.

I'm not Mormon, but Mormons tend to be family oriented, which is a good thing. Mormons do tend to socialize with other church members but they are not unfriendly to other people.

The Mormon children in my area are well behaved and have beautiful manners. The only reason I could think of that your children would have problems would be if your children are rowdy or otherwise a bad influence in which case, the local children would not be allowed to socialize with them. If they are nice kids, they can fit themselves in.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-06-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't live in IF.

Schools all over Idaho are more than adequate for children who have parental support and participation. If your kids are already good at STEM subjects, then you are most likely already encouraging them.

IF will have more winter. Winter and snow aren't bad to deal with if you have the correct clothing and equipment. There are all sorts of wonderful outdoor activities in the area.

I'm not Mormon, but Mormons tend to be family oriented, which is a good thing. Mormons do tend to socialize with other church members but they are not unfriendly to other people.

The Mormon children in my area are well behaved and have beautiful manners. The only reason I could think of that your children would have problems would be if your children are rowdy or otherwise a bad influence in which case, the local children would not be allowed to socialize with them. If they are nice kids, they can fit themselves in.
Have you had children in Idaho schools?
I’m wondering what experience you are basing your first statement on because having had two kids go through a small rural Idaho school system I can tell you it’s not true.
Best bet here is for the original poster to be answered by someone local to Idaho Falls so they can get accurate information.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't live in IF.

I think this is mostly correct. I lived in East Idaho (Pocatello and Idaho Falls to be specific from 2006 to 2014. I never heard many complaints about the schools, as Idaho funding is quite adequate.

Yes, winter is more comparable to a lower Rocky Mountain climate, as in this is what you would expect as the Rockies are just off to the east. I remember some below zero temps every winter, but usually nice, warm comfortable summers with very few extremely hot days. Snowfall is a constant every winter, but both IF and Poky are relatively flat so it doesn't create huge problems. The snowstorms that hit this area are usually quick movers and don't dump a tremendous amount with any one storm.

The LDS factor is indeed a part of living in this area. Oregonwoodsmoke has it just about right. They are very family oriented, and do tend to socialize with other LDS. However, you won't get any disrespect for being non-LDS. These are generally very friendly and accepting people.

I thought this area was a good place, but my dislike of cold/snow and a desire to be back in my native State led me away.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Clearly, the above poster is uninformed about Idaho schools overall, and education funding.

Lots of great things about the state and I love it, but the schools are most certainly not all adequate.
Our schools rank among the five worst states in the country.

https://www.idahoednews.org/kevins-b...n-week-report/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ls/1079181001/

https://www.edweek.org/ew/collection.../17/idaho.html

Hopefully, BanjoMike will weigh in since he’s very familiar with the area having actually lived there all of his life. Or Cleosmom.

Last edited by mistyriver; 01-06-2019 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 08:52 PM

As far as the LDS question, there are bunches of threads here where it’s been discusssed, pro and con. Here is one:

Official Discussion on the Mormon/LDS influence in Idaho

Old 01-06-2019, 11:14 PM

Thanks so much for your responses thus far. The links regarding education in the state and area were very helpful. It can be a little daunting to move so far and not be able to really get the chance to "tryout the area first" so any and all information is extremely welcomed. Thanks so much

Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 11,610 times
I grew up in California, but I currently live in Idaho Falls, and have been in this area almost 20 years. I also have traveled to Florence, SC for work, so I like to think I have some comparisons to offer.

Idaho is excellent for outdoor activities. There are many lakes and rivers to accommodate the water activities you mentioned, as well as hiking trails, camp grounds and hot springs you can visit. Idaho Falls is close to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park providing some wonderful wildlife and outdoor experiences.

I would agree with what has mostly been said about LDS families. There will always be bad apples in any group, but most people are friendly and inviting. They do tend to gravitate towards each other, but I think that leads into your question about meting people. LDS people spend a lot of their free time involved in their church, so the people they associate with the most are typically other people. Its those involvements in church, or groups, or similar activities that you will meet people here. I play in a co-ed softball league, and in a community basketball group.

There are not many African American people in the area, but most people are accepting of everybody regardless.

I can't not tell you much about the Seniors in the area.

For 300-400k you should be able to find a nice home with what you are looking for. The housing market here is pretty steady. We have seen average home values increase over the last year.

I have several friends who work or have worked at the INL, and in answer to your question, it all really depends on what you do and where you work. There are some offices here in town, and other locations scattered in the desert outside of town. From what I understand, travel back and forth to those facilities can get arduous. Many locations have adapted schedules to make up for some of that. But as I said at first, it really depends on what you do.

If you do decide to make the move, and come out here, let me know. I'd be happy to meet you and welcome you to the area. I too have middle school aged kids and younger. (13, 11, 9, 6) I'm sure they would love to make new friends.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Will do rastle2. Thanks so much. We are excited about the possibility of this move. The area looks like has loads to do. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again

Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 11,610 times
You are very welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls