Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:42 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,756,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I think friendly people meet friendly people for the most part.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:52 AM

227 posts, read 382,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post

I've seen some post as you describe and really it's mostly directed to not bring Ca. with you to Idaho, become part of the Idaho culture and leave the commie Ca. culture right where it belongs here in Ca.
This^^^

If you bring that CA attitude and culture with you, then I hope you are prepared to feel unwelcome and be chastised by the locals, including me! Assimilation to the conservative and personally responsible culture is imperative. Embrace this, and you will be A-OK.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,092 times
Idaho, Hawaii, California, New York. It's all the same.
You will be treated well if you bring your friendliness and pleasant attitude with you. You create the reception you receive.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM

294 posts, read 545,279 times
I think a lot of people in idaho are tired of listening to californians complaining about california. When you move here, you don't need to tell the local population about how bad it is there. Believe me, we have all heard about it over and over and over.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:52 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,500,220 times
4th or 5th generation Idahoans are really rare. We've only been a state for 125 years. Long enough for 5 generations (or more if your family has fast generations, my family has averaged 25 years per), but the population was so sparse back then that there just weren't that many people to be descended from.

I'm a 3rd generation Idahoan. My sister is pregnant right now, so those kids will be 4th generation. They do exist, but there aren't that many.

Contrast that with California, which has been a state for 40 years longer, and due to the Gold Rush, had a lot higher population. 5th generation Californian would be fairly common, I would think.

Back on the original topic, I will say that most visitors to Idaho comment that they were surprised at how friendly and polite everyone is. There are bad apples everywhere you go, but on the whole, people are nice here.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 22,923 times
Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice! We are in no way planning on bringing California to Idaho. We want to keep all that in California and have a fresh start in a new place We are very friendly people. My husband is in law enforcement and I am a teacher. We are excited to find a better place to raise our family where there are morals and respect

Old 06-14-2015, 11:37 AM

318 posts, read 437,184 times
This is why I hate people who create large California corporations, especially when they try to overrun and dominate a state like Idaho with their institutionized business models.

This California based property management company, on their website, brag about managing an astounding 73,500 apartments in 12 states. They manage (own?) 5 large senior apartment complexes in Coeur d Alene, 1 in Post Falls and 1 in Boise.

As of today, they dominate Coeur d Alene's Craigslist with 64 ads. All have different photos; if the swimming pool doesn't get you, maybe the library will or wait! You will love the community garden. All, beginning at the very affordable rent of about $1,000. a month but they are generously offering to pay utilities.

You will need a 1.5 income to rent ratio, so as a retiree, you will need a net income of $2,500. (That is, after taxes.)

You may have to pass a criminal background check (at their discretion) and reveal a lot of personal information, which may be (unknown to you), forwarded to their real estate sales office, should you decide to buy, at some future date. The amount of the deposit is based on your history. From their application:

"Rental Scores
The approval of credit is based on rental scores. Rental scores are relied upon to estimate the relative financial risk of leasing an apartment to you. Scores are calculated using a weighted average of factors and your rental score results from a mathematical analysis of information found in your credit report and application. Such information may include your bill-paying history, the number and type of accounts you have, open bankruptcies, unpaid utility bills, collection actions, charge-off, repossession, eviction histories, outstanding debt, income relationships (rent-to-income and debt-to-income ratios), and other attributes that reflect on your qualifications to meet the terms of your lease.

(AND THIS IS THE PART I LOVE):

Because your rental score is based upon real data and statistics, it is more reliable than subjective methods of evaluating your information.

(Like sitting down and having a real conversation).

Rental scoring treats all applicants consistently and impartially.

Rental Score Recommendations
Approve - This is the most desirable recommendation and has the lowest security deposit level.
Approved with Conditions - Although the application will be accepted on this recommendation, this score presents a higher risk and may require the highest security deposit or co-signer.
Decline - The community may not proceed with the application."

Do not apply, if you are a vet, who may have been arrested for vagrancy, as a result of homelessness resulting from PTSD. Do not apply if you were an activist in the 60's and got busted for trespassing because discretionary decisions cannot be made. Corporate drones cannot make discretionary decisions.

So between the tar sands oil, coal and Mega corporations who eat Idahoans for lunch, we are basically screwed. Welcome to the obscene and humanely unsustainable world of the California invasion.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:45 AM

294 posts, read 545,279 times
It would be nice to see a californian move to cda and start a company that employs people instead of the usual "law enforcement" transplant. I have met a few people that even moved their entire company to cda. They are usually quiet happy they made the move.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:46 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,726,673 times
Discretion can easily put you on the wrong side of the law... and this is Federal Housing Laws.

A lot of senior vets, at least those that I know, exclusively use the VA for housing it is also much more affordable.

It takes a willing seller and as well as a willing buyer for the "Invasion" to occur...

Idaho still remains the go to place for many retired Law Enforcement in my area... and it seems more of my Doctor friends are making the same decision.

Maybe Idaho is particularly well suited for retirees with means?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 AM

20 posts, read 22,923 times
I am not sure what you mean by the usual "law enforcement transplant." Neither my husband nor myself are retired. We are far from retiring age, so we would be coming to CDA to get jobs and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho