Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times

Advertisements

Based on the NASA map linked a few posts back out looks like Pocatello will be see 98+% obscuration of the sun. Definitely worth watching, but I believe you will need eye protection at all times. One of the advantages of being in the zone of totality is that for a short period while the eclipse is total you can look at it with the naked eye.

Dave

ETA: I just confirmed it is only safe to view the eclipse with out eye protection during the brief period of totality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:43 PM

2,349 posts, read 1,741,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I just confirmed it is only safe to view the eclipse with out eye protection during the brief period of totality.
Yes, but will you see anything? I imagine it will be like nighttime, and then the transitions will be unique but you'll want eye protection. I guess we will find out, because while wearing eye protection, during totality the eye protection makes it too dark to see almost anything except the sun and any other similarly-bright objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaeggimann View Post
Question.. I live on a mountain top in Pocatelllo. About 20 minutes below Blackfoot. will we get a partial eclipse. 10% or 50% or 90%??? We have 10 acres and lots of trees and grass.. AND plenty of places to easily walk to even hight ground. I'm thinking of offering folks a place to crash, grass for a tent or place for an RV.. good idea??
Offering your place would be a very nice thing to do. But if you have the time to drive just an hour north, you'd be in the path of totality which I understand is an amazing experience. If you can swing it.

Either way, get yourself some eye protection and enjoy the show!

Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Based on the NASA map linked a few posts back out looks like Pocatello will be see 98+% obscuration of the sun. Definitely worth watching, but I believe you will need eye protection at all times. One of the advantages of being in the zone of totality is that for a short period while the eclipse is total you can look at it with the naked eye.

Dave

ETA: I just confirmed it is only safe to view the eclipse with out eye protection during the brief period of totality.
I always thought that you need eye protection even during totality, because the visible corona is so bright it can damage your eyesight.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:17 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
According to NASA it is safe to look directly at the sun DURING THE PERIOD OF TOTALITY. I think one of the challenges that may lead to some recommendations to always use eye protection, even during totality, is the challenge of knowing exactly when it is safe to look at the sun directly. Totality only lasts a couple minutes at best, so the timing is critical.

Dave

Old 07-15-2017, 08:14 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
...Totality only lasts a couple minutes at best, so the timing is critical.
Indeed, totality is only for a few minutes, but retina damage is for a lifetime. If I go, I'll take proper measures to protect my eyesight.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Indeed, totality is only for a few minutes, but retina damage is for a lifetime. If I go, I'll take proper measures to protect my eyesight.

^^^ Yep. I had a 3-day eye strain (pains, headache) a few years ago from looking straight at a rare phenomenon, a sun dog (concentrated reflection in a cloud) above the horizon after sunset. It didn't occur to me that it might be harmful. And if that can cause eye strain, I wouldn't take any chances on an eclipse.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
Just had notice the county DA and I think it is Sheriff will be hosting a town hall meeting here in Midvale for those considering renting out spaces to viewers in our area. Since we are in line of totality I guess it will be crowded here. I have not seen or heard much else about it though. Rentals at the airport for dry camping. A couple other places. I guess no one from this forum is coming this way??

Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I always thought that you need eye protection even during totality, because the visible corona is so bright it can damage your eyesight.
It's 100% safe to view the sun during totality. Just use your own good judgment. If it causes any pain or discomfort to your eyes, stop immediately.

Quote:
The only time that the Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye is during a total eclipse, when the Moon completely covers the disk of the Sun. It is never safe to look at a partial or annular eclipse, or the partial phases of a total solar eclipse, without the proper equipment and techniques. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface (the photosphere) is obscured during the partial phases of a solar eclipse, the remaining crescent Sun is still intense enough to cause a retinal burn, even though illumination levels are comparable to twilight [Chou, 1981, 1996; Marsh, 1982].

NASA - Eye Safety During Eclipses

Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:

Dave

Definitely worth driving to the path of totality, if possible. A 98% eclipse might sound impressive but, a 99% eclipse is 10,000 times brighter than a total eclipse. It would be very unfortunate to be that close and still not see the total eclipse.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:11 PM

2,349 posts, read 1,741,606 times
The earth gets a total solar eclipse (TSE) about once every 18 months, and those TSEs are viewable by about one half of one percent of the earth's surface. Less than 30% of solar eclipses are totals. The rest are partials (35.3%) or annulars (33.2%). TSEs are 26.7% of the solar eclipses.

TSEs are more rare than total lunar eclipses.

Because the moon is constantly moving farther away from the earth, eventually there will be no more TSEs. But that's about a billion years from now.

This 5-min video explains why TSEs are so special:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oNH3akWXaV8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho