Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 09:30 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times

Advertisements

How do you all feel about them this year?
I saw people, of course, firing off illegal aerials last night.
Stupid.
Seems like the counties/cities should legally pass a law that gives them the right to ban fireworks with a hefty fine for violators in bad drought years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 09:52 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Our city council discussed regulating the use of fireworks the other year. They took no action deeming anything legislated being unenforceable. The libertarian ethos is strong in this corner of Idaho.

Personally, I would like to see the use regulated to specific hours. Shooting those things off at 10, 11, and midnight is stupid and just keeps people from sleeping, as well as keeping dogs in a constant state of terror. Won't ever happen because, again, it would be unenforceable.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-03-2021, 10:00 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
I'm certain someone will start a range fire with fireworks down here. It won't be on the 4th, most likely, but will be within a couple of days later.

The fireworks law has been a mixed blessing. On one hand, we no longer have to put up with a month of nightly explosions, but on the other hand the 5th to the 8th of July are full of explosions, especially out in the countryside, as people use up all the fireworks they bought and never lit on the 4th.

They get 2 days in our cities to use them up, with nothing lit after midnight. So the folks in town go out to the country and light them where there aren't any city cops on patrol.

4 years ago, the largest range fire in Idaho history was ignited when a young adult and his girlfriend shot off the last of his bottle rockets in a canyon south of Idaho Falls on a windy evening. In 24 hours, over 500,000 acres burned, and was only stopped from becoming a major forest fire by all the farmers who plowed up wide fire lines on their properties, giving the fire no fuel.

It left unchecked, the fire could have spread into the Targhee National Forest, and from Targhee into the Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. God only knows where the fire would have gone after that, but it could have engulfed most of southwest Montana, all of southern Idaho, almost all of Wyoming, and into northern Utah. Federal forests are interconnected in all these areas, and several, like Targhee, cross state boundaries.

2017 was windier, but not as hot.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Our city council discussed regulating the use of fireworks the other year. They took no action deeming anything legislated being unenforceable. The libertarian ethos is strong in this corner of Idaho.

Personally, I would like to see the use regulated to specific hours. Shooting those things off at 10, 11, and midnight is stupid and just keeps people from sleeping, as well as keeping dogs in a constant state of terror. Won't ever happen because, again, it would be unenforceable.
I have a lot of libertarian views but I believe that my rights end where someone else’s begin.
We all suffer when forest fires burn.
I’m hoping we can not burn down half the state with our “Patriotism”.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Yup.
Idaho Falls never regulated fireworks here until July became one long fireworks explosion from dusk to dawn for a full month or more. For years and years.

The regulation came in 2 stages; at first no fireworks after midnight were permitted. Then, a few years later, no more fireworks could be shot off after July 7or 8. (approx. I've forgotten the exact date)

This created some time to shoot off all the unused fireworks from the 4th without allowing them to be rationed into one or two big explosions nightly, as many folks had done before.

The complaints stopped afterwards and Idaho Falls suffered far fewer panicked runaway dogs after the laws were implemented.
The dogs were the biggest complaints. People really tend to worry about their panicked pets a lot!

I think your city council could run a referendum on this to see what the public support would be.

That didn't happen here; the city council just held some open discussion meetings, then passed the laws. At the time, a lot of opposition was anticipated, but it turned out almost everyone wanted a peaceful night's sleep more than the freedom to make loud explosions at all hours every summer night.

Idaho Falls is home to the largest fireworks display west of the Mississippi, so folks here do love their fireworks. The law's compromises worked out well.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:31 AM

I wonder how well it would be enforced if they let the police departments keep the fines from illegal fireworks…

Old 07-03-2021, 10:39 AM

Today, July 3, is Idaho's 131st birthday.
We were made a state on July 3, 1890, along with Montana, Wyoming, and several others.

Congress wanted to recess on the 4th, so they voted a bunch of western states in, one after the other, on that day.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:44 AM

As far as fireworks laws being unenforceable, aren’t all laws pretty much “unenforceable”?
People speed all the time but if a cop sees them, they get pulled over. Lots of people don’t get pulled over. But the knowledge that they could be, helps moderate behavior.
Frankly, I think that when people like the KC sheriff say this, it’s because they don’t want to enforce it.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:09 PM

551 posts, read 803,456 times
https://cdapress.com/news/2021/jul/0...ban-fireworks/

Old 07-03-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
He’s pandering to the DA contingent.
God help him if they cause a wildfire.
He will be run out of the county on a rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: