Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
I also heard Lewiston was a nice place to live. Tell me more why you think that.
I haven't lived there, so it could be a nice place to live. But in my multiple visits I have found it to be pretty awful. It is in the desert, which personally I'm not a fan of. As far as I know there are no lakes or rivers or stuff like that. The big thing with Lewiston is the paper mill. It stinks to high heavens, and because Lewiston is in a big valley, the air just gets trapped... it's horrible.
The only good part about Lewiston is Hells Canyon. My family used to camp there when I was a kid. There are all these wild bunnies, so cute! There is a bunch of old irrigation equipment that waters the grass, which looks really weird and out of place. It scared me a lot as a kid, and I still have nightmares! Another thing that might therapy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 02:06 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Best- Coeur d' Alene

Worst- Grace or Arco

Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyinRexburg View Post
Someone mentioned Rexburg. Its only a good family town if you are Mormon. If you are any other religion, your kids will feel terribly alienated and its hard to make friends that won't harass you into converting. I spend day after day on my job constantly being made to feel like an outsider by LDS. Constant put-downs of other churchs etc. Friendly, yes, but only for Mormon families
UnhappyinRexburg, are you able to leave the area and re-locate elsewhere? I feel your pain. We lived in an all Mormon town for 5 years in S. Idaho and it was the worse 5 years of my life. We were made to feel like dirt being one of the few non-LDS in the area.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:08 PM

47 posts, read 289,359 times
Default Lewiston

"As far as I know there are no lakes or rivers or stuff like that."

Xa'at, how could you miss the two largest rivers (Clearwater/Snake Rivers) in the state converging in Lewiston? Oh, alright. Your eyes most likely were all glassed over from the noxious pulp plant that pollutes the air and water..

Everything else that Xa'at stated was correct though (in my opinion), but for many Southwestern USA residents this area may feel like an oasis compared to what they are used to.

One thing that I found to be very nice about the Clearwater/Snake River valleys is the very noticeable temperature change. Coming from the higher elevation of the Palouse (roughly 2500ft) to the valley floor (roughly 750 ft) there is a remarkable temperature change. It always seemed to be at least 5 degrees warmer, and this makes a difference anytime of the year (more so in the winter when you want it warmer).

Lewiston is an industrial town catering to the farming and timber industries, which makes it a true blue collar town. The Snake River, being the furthest inland port city in the western US, continues to help provide Lewiston (Idaho) and surrounding communities with economic stability, at least as long as the farming and timber industries last.

Like some parts of Southern Idaho it is too dry and brown for my eyes, and I normally wouldn't stop there unless I had to (I-95 goes near Lewiston). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

On another note if you follow the Clearwater River east there are very tiny farming towns that I found to be perfectly quiet, small, and friendly. You have some terrific water, as well as some fantastic timber very near. I certainly have very found memories of these areas, although I never lived there.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
How could I forget the Snake River?! My deepest apologies. I feel like a complete loser right now.
The Snake is actually quite beautiful. I'd say Lewiston is worth a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
I had to spend a week in Lewiston this past spring and was surprised at how big the town seemed to be. They have a great downtown area with many old brick buildings and it almost has a sea coastal town look and feel to it.
There is the older neighborhood up on a hill above downtown and it is a town with many trees and attractive homes and buildings. There was that paper mill smell, but then Portland and Eugene ,Oregon also have stench brought on my the mills, but I guess a person gets used to it. Regarding the landscape, I noticed that Lewiston is in a more arid locale, but a quick drive East, North or South and you are in forests in a matter of minutes.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 AM

81 posts, read 398,462 times
Are there any towns near boise that have very low crime rates? I need to stay near Boise to get an office job.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Most of the Boise area has a low crime rate. Do you want to be more in the city or in a smaller suburban town?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 AM

81 posts, read 398,462 times
More small suburb. Not ghetto or anything...just a nice clean area. =)

Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 80,353 times
Okay so from my perspective which i hope is helpful: I have lived in the following cities:
Rexburg
Boise area
Moscow

Hands down: *Boise area*-great metropolitan area(for idaho)-traffic can be a hassle-there is an airport-enough shopping in the valley-activities for everyone. Good choice of Hospitals. Live in Meridian..it is the best choice of where to live. You have access to boise/nampa/eagle and kuna-pretty much in the middle of it all-better crime/great family neighborhoods. Lots of parks-growing shopping areas..I love living there compared to living in Boise. Great festivities- Eagle Fun Days/Meridian Dairy Days/Star Mule Days/Kuna Days (all have parades). Meridian has a scarecrowfestival in the fall and Boise has a festival of trees in the winter. Plus there is ballet/theatre/orchestra for those who need art/sophisticated entertainment. Art in the park for artisans and alive after five for anyone who wants to hear some local bands jam it out. There is Meridian Speedway and Firebird raceway for all those car racing fans. Not to mention Expo Idaho which hosts the fair every year along with assorted other events. Free country concert every summer provided by the radio stations here. Also Concerts non-stop of your favorite artists. Zoo-boise and Discovery center for kids plus Thundermountain train rides do special rides for Spring(egg hunt)/Fall(pick pumpkins). This doesn't even include the skiing/fishing/hiking/camping/swimming/boating opportunities here. Oh and we can't forget all of the Campus activities: BSU football anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho