Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:37 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,643 times

Advertisements

Do u like it there? Was it what u expected? What area did u end up in, and are u going to stay? What are the pros and cons of living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 05:18 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,927,166 times
WE moved to Idaho from California 20 years ago. I think it is what we had hoped for. We have not been disappointed. We have lived in Clayton and Challis, fairly remote areas. Now the internet is so accessable I think if we still lived there it would be much easier for us. We are still slightly remote. There are some stores here lumber ,art gallery ,pawn shop, bar, post office. real estate , cafe and a coffee house and a grocey store and gas station. Guess that about does main street. Even with the cost of gas it is still less expensive to drive 50 miles one way to do big shopping and grocery.

We would NEVER consider going back to California even though California seems to be getting closer every day. LOL As far as I know we plan to stay. We have looked in Oregon Washington Montana Wyoming Nevada and it was Idaho we liked the best.

You need to see for yourself. Every one has different tastes and life styles they are looking for.

Chris

Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
We moved to Idaho 15 years ago and have never had any regrets! We live in the SE area of Idaho and only a few hours from Yellowstone in one direction and Salt Lake City in the other direction and tons of vast openess surounding us

We enjoy the fact that we do indeed get the full impact of all four seasons and we love the snowy winters. To me, it's much faster to shovel a drive than it is to mow the lawns. Not mention, much easier to get warmed up in winter than it is to cool down in summer

Both my husband and myself work in careers that we totally enjoy to the nines, which we count as a huge benefit.

We have no plans to leave.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,856 times
Moved there in 92. Left in 2002. Liked the land some of the people and still do. Lived in Boise but traveled threw out the state. I am an out doors lover and in that it was great. Was not greeted very well at first because I had calif plates on the car my wife was spat at and told to go home.
Would not move back if at all tell some things change? Idaho destroyed my family by there lack of fallowing there own laws and there lack of responding to calls for help.
The government and politicians are more worried how they look to people they want to come there then it seamed to me the ones living there be they old timers or new move in's. This is based on being in politics for over 13 years in two states Idaho being one of them. . I am not a liberal at all but a conservative so with that you can come to your own ideas of what’s what.
There is a lot of old boy clubbing that go's on in the state more then some others I have lived in that was for sure.
I also found the cost of living was higher then thought because wages are so low. Homes are cheep but also expensive when you look at the average wage paid in Idaho. They are also getting more expensive by the month. I also found Idaho to be what calif was 20 years ago but on a fast track to get there.
I also found there was more crime as in drugs and gages then Idaho wants people to know .Idaho is also a hard state for young people to get started in life with housing cost and low wages. Also no real jobs for the masses or public transportation to speak of and in Boise I was a bus driver for the bus system so know what I am talking about. If you do not work 8 to 5 forget the bus at all for the most part. Also very few city even have a buss system in Idaho.
Yes it is not a state I would live in unless it was there or calif, New York some place like that then I would think about it but I feel there are better places then Idaho for me. it all comes down to what you want for family ,jobs ,wages and such , I would say go there at the time of year you think you would not like if you can deal with it then you will be okay the rest of the year just make sure you visit in a normal year with normal weather .

Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 PM

853 posts, read 968,799 times
Default New England to Coeur d'Alene

We moved from New England to Coeur d'Alene (in the Panhandle) in August of 2004. Originally from Vermont, I always believed Vermont was the most beautiful state and truthfully, in the northeastern part of our country, I still believe this to be true. However, Idaho definitely has more raw beauty than I could ever have imagined! We are located outside the city limits of Coeur d'Alene on five acres and it is very common to see deer, moose, elk, and bear in our area. It is equally common to hear the call of coyotes and the occasional bobcat every now and then as well.
The winters here are very mild with much less snow when compared to Vermont. Before we moved to Idaho, I really thought I would miss our annual trip to the ocean. Not so - summertime in Idaho spectacular! Next to no rain and very low humidity makes the summer completely enjoyable. We tend to have the majority of our rain in autumn and spring - but nothing that I can't handle. My first autumn, I missed all the colors, but I quickly got over that after spending one full year out here!
My first trip south on hwy. 95 into McCall (positively gorgeous!) was amazing!! We went through Hell's Canyon - breathtakingly beautiful! The ride into Boise - also incredible. Honestly, the scenery here is hard to beat. If you like to fish - there are many lakes located all over northern Idaho and there are awesome rivers south of Lewiston - the Snake, Salmon, Payette and so on.
The primary negative is that wages are fairly low, although I believe that salaries are a bit better in the Boise area. This is a "right to work state" and that's where the low wages come into play. Hopefully, the right to work law will eventually be repealed.
Personally, I will never move back east - heck - I don't even like to go back to visit!
I hope this information is of help to you!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 PM

41 posts, read 169,664 times
DH and I discovered Idaho in 1999 and made one or two trips up a year for the next seven years exploring and seeing what areas and/or towns would work for us.

Shady (see above post) knew of a house for sale and we drove up to take a look at it. It is beautiful, outside the Boise area and was a very fair price even for Idaho standards. (Thank you so much, Chris!) We took the plunge and transplanted around six weeks ago.

Neither one of us can ever imagine moving back to California. It is an expensive, liberal mess down there (and both of us are life long (former) residents).

Like wurd4wurd we don't even want to go back for visits, but we'll have to.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Default Moving Experience?

Just a thought but I suspect people reading this thread wouldn't mind hearing of people's experiences with moving companies, good, bad, or indifferent?

Old 08-10-2006, 05:07 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Sorry but I just have to laugh when I read this. Since we did not use a moving company and I am sure we looked like the Beverly Hilbillies coming to Idaho in a 14 foot stock truck with 6 foot sides loaded to over flowing with a pony cart tied on the back. What a trip taking 24 hours 35 miles an hour over Galena summit. Loosing a fuel pump in Nevada in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention our dear neighbor also along towing the mules ,birds and cats with another truck. Arriving on our property with very little fence and a well pipe sticking out of the ground no house late in the evening and having to put up a corral for the mules. And a fun time was had by all.

Now Ruby and hubby had it a little different but not much better. At least we came down the mountain to help them unload and they had a house to unload to. We still had to build our house. But I will let Ruby tell you of their moving day.

I think U-Haul seems to be the mover of choice. I almost NEVER see a moving van/company pull in unloading someone in 20 yuears of living here in Idaho. Hope some one else has better information than I do.

Chris

Old 08-10-2006, 05:19 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

I think U-Haul seems to be the mover of choice. I almost NEVER see a moving van/company pull in unloading someone in 20 yuears of living here in Idaho. Hope some one else has better information than I do.

Chris

I thought I'd probably try it myself but several moving companies quoted around $.71/lb from NJ to Boise and when you look at the cost of a one way truck rental + fuel the moving copanies actually sound pretty good, at least cost wise.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:52 PM

Burdell, Is there some formula as to say what an average household of three bedroom two bath weights? If I were moving that far I might consider selling almost everything and buying new when I got to Boise. What you might save in moving things might buy them again?? I am just thinking of how heavy my furniture is. Of course there are family things passed down treasures that MUST be saved no matter what. I do understand that.

I hope your move goes smoothly. Please keep all posted on what you decide. Since we already had the stock truck it is what we used. Also we needed it because it took us three months to build our house so we could not unload out in the middle of the field.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho