Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM

298 posts, read 565,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek10rr View Post
Actually, to be fair, I have heard many times that people in Montana are very neighborly.

My concern with montana would be jobs. I looked into it once, but found nothing for accounting work so kept looking elsewhere. Ive been looking for over 11 months and still havent reached a definite conclussion. Thats what's great about the U.S., alot of choices.
You are right, jobs are a major issue. My husband is a CPA/internal auditor and there is not much in MT. Most of us that grow up there have to leave... He travels all over the place with his job, China, Europe, etc., which is cool.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,067,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfnme View Post
Not moving to Charlotte because looking to find something. Moving because of husband's job, but it seems nice enough. We're buying a nice house and all, so that helps.
Charlotte is a great city, traffic can be hectic but it's pretty cool. Since you're into the outdoors, take a drive to Asheville which is not that far away, that is a great place and there is soooo much to do, lots of mountain biking, hiking, rafting, fishing, camping, etc... It has a very cool downtown area also, it's a nice day trip from Charlotte. Also Lake Norman area is pretty nice.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:51 AM

14 posts, read 89,352 times
Jmfnme....I just moved to FW from Charlotte...Not sure if you have been to Charlotte lately...but FW does not compare to the beauty or the cultural diversity of Charlotte....I'm sorry but the people in Charlotte seem to be more polished and educated....Charlotte's not a Washington,DC.....New York, NY or Atlanta,GA....but the oppurtinities seem to be far greater than here in FW.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 PM

174 posts, read 529,198 times
To answer the op's question, no, I do not like living in Indiana.

But, just because it isn't for me doesn't mean that it is a bad place. We hope to move before winter. This just isn't the right area for my husband and I, mostly me.

We are childfree, I am in my mid thirties, he is his mid forties. Really it isn't as bad for him as it is me. It is just really hard to be this age, a female, and not have children in this area. Most things are centered around children.

We have pets and find the area that we are in to be quite pet unfriendly. Being a vegetarian here has been more difficult as well.

When we leave Indiana we will not be leaving behind many friends. I have made one friend in my time here, she is also childfree. My husband has a few people that he talks to at work but that is about it. We just don't fit in here, obviously.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,041 times
If you were born in Indiana, then you'd probably like it, because it's more likely that you'd fit in. I came here from Kentucky, and I can't say that I like it much.

It's been my experience that people in southern Indiana are generally backwards, unintelligent, uneducated, unsophisticated, xenophobic, reactionary prigs, many of whom have never left the county in their entire lives, and for those who have, going 15 minutes up the interstate is considered a journey of epic proportions. If you go more than one county away (much less out of state) then you may as well have traveled to the moon--you certainly have entered the area of the (flat earth) map denoted by the warning "there be dragons." Unless you have lived here for 6 generations, and your great grandparents went to school with their great grandparents, you will be an outsider for as long as you stay here. If you have anything over a room temperature IQ, look anything other than corn-fed and of germanic descent, are not Lutheran (there's two Lutheran churches here, and there's a serious rivalry between them) or hardcore Evangelical/Pentecostal Christian (bordering on being a snake handler), you will be ostracised and, at times, publicly derided for being different than the local norm. Conformity is not optional, it's an absolute requirement. The oft-touted "Hoosier Hospitality" is a joke--there's no such thing....

I've lived here for 16 years now--Columbus, Franklin, and Seymour, and I've worked in Indy, Columbus, and Seymour, in both private industry and for the government. I've not spent much time in northern IN, so I can't speak for people there, but having traveled extensively in southern IN, I feel like I have a very good handle on the culture (or lack thereof) and people in the southern half of the state.

There are exceptions to my generalizations, as I have met a few Hoosier natives that are kind, decent, friendly, intelligent, hard-working people, but, by and large, they are marginalized by the rest of society, same as me...

Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times
Wow, that's pretty harsh! I'm not saying that you are wrong, just hanging with the wrong folks. I'm sure there are people you described being in Indiana also in Kentucky. Ig-nert people everywhere. Just moved to Columbus myself and most in my neighborhood aren't locals, just like me. I don't know ... I suppose if I give it time, I'll see what you are saying.

Hang in there ok? Not all Hoosiers are idiots.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:27 PM

92 posts, read 500,365 times
Jeez - I don't even like Indiana that much after living there for the better part of a decade, but Chicken_Man is completely absurd.

His post sounds like a rant someone would spew about Kentucky. Simply replace "Indiana" with "Kentucky" and voila! You've got the same stereotypical BS. Way to make Kentucky proud!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:46 PM

298 posts, read 565,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Man View Post
If you were born in Indiana, then you'd probably like it, because it's more likely that you'd fit in. I came here from Kentucky, and I can't say that I like it much.

It's been my experience that people in southern Indiana are generally backwards, unintelligent, uneducated, unsophisticated, xenophobic, reactionary prigs, many of whom have never left the county in their entire lives, and for those who have, going 15 minutes up the interstate is considered a journey of epic proportions. If you go more than one county away (much less out of state) then you may as well have traveled to the moon--you certainly have entered the area of the (flat earth) map denoted by the warning "there be dragons." Unless you have lived here for 6 generations, and your great grandparents went to school with their great grandparents, you will be an outsider for as long as you stay here. If you have anything over a room temperature IQ, look anything other than corn-fed and of germanic descent, are not Lutheran (there's two Lutheran churches here, and there's a serious rivalry between them) or hardcore Evangelical/Pentecostal Christian (bordering on being a snake handler), you will be ostracised and, at times, publicly derided for being different than the local norm. Conformity is not optional, it's an absolute requirement. The oft-touted "Hoosier Hospitality" is a joke--there's no such thing....

I've lived here for 16 years now--Columbus, Franklin, and Seymour, and I've worked in Indy, Columbus, and Seymour, in both private industry and for the government. I've not spent much time in northern IN, so I can't speak for people there, but having traveled extensively in southern IN, I feel like I have a very good handle on the culture (or lack thereof) and people in the southern half of the state.

There are exceptions to my generalizations, as I have met a few Hoosier natives that are kind, decent, friendly, intelligent, hard-working people, but, by and large, they are marginalized by the rest of society, same as me...
Ha Ha! Sounds just like the neighborhood I ended up in...

Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 PM

95 posts, read 456,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I'm from New Albany which is next to Louisville, KY and I am somewhat suprised at how many people I talk to seem like they really love living around here. I'm not really posting this to rant or anything I'm just wondering what makes people like it so much? Is it something that I don't see or what? The cost of living is reasonable I guess but after seeing some other cities in other parts of the country, the Louisville area is far behind.

I am planning to move away to the Dallas/Fort Worth area within a year or two, likely permanantly. I grew up here and never liked it at all. I don't like the weather, it gets too cold in the winter time and the early spring and late fall are usually pretty much too cold too, making for about 5 months of cold weather. I don't mind the heat in the summer I just don't like the cold. Another reason is that I don't think there is much at all to do around here. I am a huge sports fan and hate not having any pro sports teams. Yeah you have U of L but A) I don't like them and B) I'm much more of a pro kind of person. The Bats are a joke to me although I would agree that they have made the best out of what they have. For triple A, the stadium is pretty nice. I just never did like it around here. Am I missing something or are the people too narrow minded to see that there are better places or maybe this is just where they are from and don't know any different?

I in no way am intending to offend anyone or start anything up... I'm just seeing if anyone else views it the way I do.
Well have fun in the DFW area. I enjoyed my time down there immensely, but there is no place like home. Sure the winters are cold, but you can't blame that on anything but the geography of where you live. Winter around here just gives me something to look forward to - spring and summer. Summer gives me something to look forward to - winter.

It's a give and take really. If I lived where it got up to 90 degrees+ everyday, I'd probably go insane from the heat stroke. Especially if I did the same job there.

I would love to live in the DFW area myself, I had a blast. But there's such a thing as too much year round heat.

There are things to do if you go and look for them. Ya can't be a few minutes from Louisville, two hours from Indy and 2 hours from Cincinnati and never find anything to do.

Fun is what you make it, if you're just going to make your decision and give up on trying then of course you're going to hate it. Ever have a job that was fun and great until the repetative day to day stuff sinks in as everyday normality? Same thing.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 91,640 times
Talking Like Indiana over Illinois any Day

I enjoy living in Indiana, allthough I live in the North section. There is so much to do here, and I enjoy my drive to Indianapolis. I believe that there is just as much beauty in our state as any, but you have to find it. I love the caves in the Southern section, the history everywhere in this state is easy to find out about except for the section where I live. Hoosier State Prarie is so relaxing. The Indiana Dunes are a complete wonder. I have to admit that we are a bit conservative in nature, but that is what I enjoy. Have you ever been to Madison, Indiana? Cute little town, with a ton of history. Cool boat racing in the Summer. Buy the "Madision" DVD. Indianapolis is so much fun and so clean compared to many state capitals I've visited. Hear the nightlife is great. Colts are fun to go see, and people are just "regular" folks. Also, you may find that there's employment in the state since Toyota and Honda is doing some stuff here. Ok, so our indiana.gov website is a bit confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana