Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 PM

34 posts, read 121,052 times

Advertisements

It takes 2 to 2.5 hours to get to Chicago driving. I took Amtrak there once. I think it took close to 6. We literally could have driven to Chicago, driven back, and made some decent progress driving back to Chicago in the same time it took to get there. We had to stop at least three times on the way there (twice for passing freight traffic, once because it was so delayed the train crew had hit the limit on how long they were allowed to work and Amtrak didn't have a new crew ready to meet them somewhere). Pretty much everyone I know who has taken the train to Chicago has some similar horror story. I think people can generally be grouped into two categories here: those who think taking the train to Chicago someday sounds like a good idea, and those who have vowed to never make that same mistake again.

Now, I haven't driven much in/through Chicago, but my impressions are as follows. First, going from Lafayette north on I-65 is generally a breeze. The trouble only really begins once you hit Gary and turn west. Even then, as long as a) it's not rush hour or b) you don't hit construction (and this is a big if), I haven't had too much trouble. But again, I don't have much experience here, so take that with many grains of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 PM

82 posts, read 486,889 times
Thanks again for the info. How about Indianapolis? Does that city have much to offer? And, how is the drive there to the Airport? Unfourtunately, I do fly somewhat often.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:05 PM

34 posts, read 121,052 times
Well, that depends what exactly you're looking for. My knee-jerk reaction would be to say it's the 13th largest city in the US, so it probably has whatever you're looking for. The airport's on the west side of Indy, so the drive is a snap. Straight down I-65 to I-465 S. The other option is Lafayette Limo, which runs a shuttle to the airport. They make 9 trips daily.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM
ndb

26 posts, read 113,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patken44 View Post
Well, that depends what exactly you're looking for. My knee-jerk reaction would be to say it's the 13th largest city in the US, so it probably has whatever you're looking for. The airport's on the west side of Indy, so the drive is a snap. Straight down I-65 to I-465 S. The other option is Lafayette Limo, which runs a shuttle to the airport. They make 9 trips daily.
Indy airport is hands down the easiest airport I've flown out of. Easy to get to, easy to navigate once I'm there, decent service and overall size.
I always fly through there if I can, even though o'hare is often cheaper. The convenience is completely worth the extra coin.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:51 PM

37 posts, read 170,858 times
My husband and I returned from WL last night. It was a great trip. Really enjoyed the area and my husband decided to take the position at Purdue so we are headed there in June! We will go late april to hopefully buy a home. I learned a lot about the area and options for living. Even toured some homes and loved the prices in comparison to where I live in Southern Calif. ! We could never buy here so we are excited to be able to buy something there. I will also be moving my business to WL so if you find out any tips there Hokieed as far as what I need to do in that area to start my sole prop., please let me know. I haven't researched that yet. I think you'll enjoy your trip in April.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 PM

Phlute23: I guess we'll both have to get used to Black and old-Gold. It's quite a departure for me from Orange and Maroon. We are excited about our first home too. I've been keeping an eye on the market there and it appears we will have quite a pick. You wil be living like kings compared to Southern CA.

I'll be sure to share any tips I have for your company. That's my first order of business... to find 3,000 to 4,000 Sqare feet for light industrial/manufacturing. Anyone have any tips?

Have a good one.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 10,805 times
Default W. Lafayette

I also join those who recommended to buy a house in the West Lafayette School District. When I was looking for a house here a couple of years ago, we wanted a new house (didn't want to do any repairs for a few years), in W. Lafayette school district. It turned out that the only neighbourhood meeting these standards is Amberleigh Village. University Farms is also great, older houses, but newer than other areas of W. Lafayette. Amberleigh Village is very nice, it has walking trails and some wooded area, a pond. A lot of people drive here from other areas of town so they can enjoy the trails. If you don't mind a diverse population (the neighbourhood includes people from many countries and the newest couple of streets are quite heavily asian--most are professors at Purdue), I think it's a great neighbourhood.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,071,035 times
Did you eat at Arnis?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Looking at Amberleigh Village from Satelite on Google earth, it does look like a nice place to live with the trails nearby. Thanks for the tip LiaS. I'll have to keep my eye out for any homes for sale nearby.

I also noticed the homeowners association for that neighborhood. I noticed quite a few neighborhoods with HOA's... What is everyones experiences with HOA's in the area? Am I going to have trouble getting thorough by-laws and approvals and site-inspections if I want to put a vegetable garden in my back yard? Are they a hassle, or a good way to protect the property values in the area?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 PM

37 posts, read 170,858 times
Purdue had every meal organized ahead of time, so we did not eat at Arnis. We did eat at some great restaurants while we were there though. La Scala was one of my favorites.

I heard a lot about how the WL Schools were the best but I never really asked for detail as to what makes them the best? I also heard that the county schools in WL (Harrison, Klondike, Burnett Creek, Battle Creek) were also very good. We liked homes in Linbergh Village as well as Amberleigh Village. Arbor Chase was nice too. I think University Farms is great but probably a little over our price range for now. We are anxious for our return trip in April to see what is available then.

One more quick question regarding hospitals and health care. Which is the better hospital? I heard they are building two more in the near future. Also, I will be looking for a good high risk OB when we get there. Any tips on that? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana