Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 PM

144 posts, read 161,237 times

Advertisements

Sorry I keep resurrecting this thread guys, but I've been looking at more areas across the country and I gotta say--phew! I am so surprised at how seemingly overvalued properties are in other states when comparing them to Indiana and Ohio. I think Indiana and Ohio have spoiled me--though I could live with lower property tax rates haha. For the same price range (250k - 450k), I think you're getting a much better deal & value for homes in the suburbs of Indiana (specifically Indianapolis) and Ohio (Columbus and Cincinnati) than the other areas I've checked out.

Quick disclaimer, I am generalizing here. I found a few great values in these areas, but they were few and far between.

I checked out the suburbs of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, Milwaukee and Green Bay Wisconsin, Atlanta Georgia, and Jacksonville Florida. Perhaps it's just my opinion and preference, but I feel Indiana properties are offering so much more for that price range--spacious, multi-story and affordable homes in safe neighborhoods with good schools. Of the ones mentioned, I found the suburbs of Pittsburgh to be the most agreeable.

I also checked out the cities of Lincoln Nebraska, Wichita and Topeka Kansas, Des Moines Iowa, and Boise Idaho. Same story--I thought the properties were overvalued in comparison.

Now I'm not trying to bag on or insult these areas. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I was feeling unimpressed in my research of other states. I think it strengthens my existing convictions towards Indiana.

What do you guys think? Am I imagining things, or does Indiana offer great property values in comparison to other states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 11:54 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialMaverick View Post
Sorry I keep resurrecting this thread guys, but I've been looking at more areas across the country and I gotta say--phew! I am so surprised at how seemingly overvalued properties are in other states when comparing them to Indiana and Ohio. I think Indiana and Ohio have spoiled me--though I could live with lower property tax rates haha. For the same price range (250k - 450k), I think you're getting a much better deal & value for homes in the suburbs of Indiana (specifically Indianapolis) and Ohio (Columbus and Cincinnati) than the other areas I've checked out.

Quick disclaimer, I am generalizing here. I found a few great values in these areas, but they were few and far between.

I checked out the suburbs of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, Milwaukee and Green Bay Wisconsin, Atlanta Georgia, and Jacksonville Florida. Perhaps it's just my opinion and preference, but I feel Indiana properties are offering so much more for that price range--spacious, multi-story and affordable homes in safe neighborhoods with good schools. Of the ones mentioned, I found the suburbs of Pittsburgh to be the most agreeable.

I also checked out the cities of Lincoln Nebraska, Wichita and Topeka Kansas, Des Moines Iowa, and Boise Idaho. Same story--I thought the properties were overvalued in comparison.

Now I'm not trying to bag on or insult these areas. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I was feeling unimpressed in my research of other states. I think it strengthens my existing convictions towards Indiana.

What do you guys think? Am I imagining things, or does Indiana offer great property values in comparison to other states?
Honestly, I think you're 100% correct.

You can find really great deals, especially in the southern and western suburbs. The schools are good, the communities are safe, there are a lot of amenities (especially for families), and the job market is strong. Housing, at least for what you get near a major metropolitan area, is very affordable. You can find huge homes that are fairly up to date, often for below $100 sq./ft.

I think the biggest complaint is that a lot of the "value housing" is very "vinyl box" like, but obviously there's a lot of selection to choose from.

For instance, I'm looking at a job in Nashville. It's a government job and pays a little better than my last job in Indy. Even then and with the state income tax savings, the money probably wouldn't go as far as the last Indy job, because the cost of living in and around Nashville is so much higher. Where I am is probably slightly cheaper than metro Indy, but we also have a lack of professional jobs and very low pay for low to mid wage work compared to Indiana and Ohio. A person could move to coal country in southwest Virginia for dirt cheap living, but good luck finding a job at >$10/hr.

Ohio has higher property taxes, but it's still reasonable overall compared to many states. They really are good values.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:13 AM

144 posts, read 161,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Honestly, I think you're 100% correct.

You can find really great deals, especially in the southern and western suburbs. The schools are good, the communities are safe, there are a lot of amenities (especially for families), and the job market is strong. Housing, at least for what you get near a major metropolitan area, is very affordable. You can find huge homes that are fairly up to date, often for below $100 sq./ft.

I think the biggest complaint is that a lot of the "value housing" is very "vinyl box" like, but obviously there's a lot of selection to choose from.

For instance, I'm looking at a job in Nashville. It's a government job and pays a little better than my last job in Indy. Even then and with the state income tax savings, the money probably wouldn't go as far as the last Indy job, because the cost of living in and around Nashville is so much higher. Where I am is probably slightly cheaper than metro Indy, but we also have a lack of professional jobs and very low pay for low to mid wage work compared to Indiana and Ohio. A person could move to coal country in southwest Virginia for dirt cheap living, but good luck finding a job at >$10/hr.

Ohio has higher property taxes, but it's still reasonable overall compared to many states. They really are good values.

Yes I am starting to see all of this in my research. I recall when I was researching states with no income tax that the sales tax and COL tends to be higher as a result thereof. Haven't made up my mind whether that's a worthy trade off. Like you said, the money one would save might not be significant if living in the area is considerably more expensive.

Thanks again for always entertaining my inquiries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana