Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 05:53 PM

156 posts, read 168,816 times

Advertisements

I am gonna be living nearly off the grid in a camper and I wanna know if Indiana is right for me.

-I want to live somewhere that feels secluded but is near a town that has a gym and a Sam's Club or Costco (LITTLE TO NO TRAFFIC!)
-I hate hot, muggy weather and enjoy lots of snow
-I enjoy lots of sunshine
-I need to be near a nice and big lake
-I don't wanna be near a town that's attracting Californians or New Yorkers
-I don't wanna be near a national park that attracts people from all over the country
-I'm a libertarian who votes republican
-I value my guns very much
-I'm not a religious guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 04:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I'd say no. Your wants are unrealistic in my opinion, as they are diametrically opposed. Wholesale clubs tend to be near more populated areas. Lots of snow, lots of sunshine and no muggy weather doesn't exist in Indiana. Winters are gray most of the time. To get lots of snow, you need to be SE of Lake Michigan (lake effect snows). That part of the state is more populated. You definitely need to be north of Indianapolis.

The largest lake adjacent to Indiana is Lake Michigan, but the state park and the national park areas of Lake Michigan will attract visitors from all over. You'd get the snow in that part of the state, but you'd also get hot and muggy summer days at times. You'd also have a very difficult time finding a secluded area close to a town with a wholesale type store. Maybe if you were willing to drive an hour to the lake and to a store you could find a place in Newton or Jasper counties.

The second largest lake in the state is Lake Monroe (or Monroe Lake depending on who you're speaking with). Monroe county is not secluded and doesn't get LOTS of snow most years. It's hot and muggy in the summer very often. Plus people from all over the world come to IU, including lots of NYers and Californians. You might find something in the adjacent counties that is secluded, but it will be an hour away from Lake Monroe and the Sam's Club. Brown County is adjacent, but Brown County state park attracts visitors from all over in the fall months.

Anything in southern Indiana won't get lots of snow, more likely ice, and will be hot. Anything in the northern part of the state near any of the other smallish lakes will have snow, but it will be more crowded.

As far as living in a camper, many places won't allow that. The private campgrounds near me shut down in winter generally. Public campgrounds only allow a certain number of days I think. A long term camper parked on private land would likely require a septic system, even in the most rural parts of the state.

You posted the same thing in multiple states. I'd mark Indiana off the list.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:11 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
I'd agree with the previous poster. Indiana wouldn't work for wanting lots of snow but lots of sunshine alone. The only area that really gets lots of snow is north central Indiana (South Bend, Michigan City) and you won't find much seclusion there. Plus the lake effect snow the area gets brings with it solid clouds for days at a time in the winter with very little sunshine. The southern part of the state is the most scenic with lots of rural areas but much less snowfall. I just don't see Indiana fulfilling at least half the things on your list.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:28 AM

156 posts, read 168,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I'd agree with the previous poster. Indiana wouldn't work for wanting lots of snow but lots of sunshine alone. The only area that really gets lots of snow is north central Indiana (South Bend, Michigan City) and you won't find much seclusion there. Plus the lake effect snow the area gets brings with it solid clouds for days at a time in the winter with very little sunshine. The southern part of the state is the most scenic with lots of rural areas but much less snowfall. I just don't see Indiana fulfilling at least half the things on your list.
I appreciate the input. Any suggestions?

Old 08-04-2021, 11:48 AM

61 posts, read 63,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
I appreciate the input. Any suggestions?
I would check out areas in and around Flagstaff, AZ. They average 101" of snow per year, and they are one of the sunniest cities in the country. They average more sunshine hours than cities such as Los Angeles and Albuquerque.

Also, Durango, CO could be a good option. They average about 65" of snow each winter and are also in the upper tier for sunshine hours.

These towns are in the Southwest region, so the lakes will be few and far between, but some are in close proximity to each of these places. One caveat is that Flagstaff is quite touristy, so that will be a turnoff for you but you could look into smaller communities close by.

Casper, WY is another place that comes to mind. Mostly sunny year-round and average 74" of snow.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:07 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
“Big lake” implies the Great Lakes region. That area of the state is not very sunny.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:21 AM

469 posts, read 466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
I am gonna be living nearly off the grid in a camper and I wanna know if Indiana is right for me.

-I want to live somewhere that feels secluded but is near a town that has a gym and a Sam's Club or Costco (LITTLE TO NO TRAFFIC!)
-I hate hot, muggy weather and enjoy lots of snow
-I enjoy lots of sunshine
-I need to be near a nice and big lake
-I don't wanna be near a town that's attracting Californians or New Yorkers
-I don't wanna be near a national park that attracts people from all over the country
-I'm a libertarian who votes republican
-I value my guns very much
-I'm not a religious guy

I was born and raised in central Indiana and lived most of my adult life up around the Fort Wayne area in northern Indiana. My dad farmed in southern Indiana. I never knew of anyone living off the grid in any of those places. In northern indiana most counties required minimum acreage to have a mobile home. In most counties they required 10 acres. You might find a campground where you could live out of a camper but you would be paying a monthly lot rent to do that.

Indiana tends to be a conservative Republican state but Hoosiers have elected Democrat governors and some cities have Democrat mayors. Hoosiers tend to vote Rspiblicsn in presidential elections. Most towns and cities have many churches yet I've never had anyone shove religion in my face. I grew up in a town of 1000 people that had 2 churches and my dad was an atheist and nobody gave us any grief over that. Hoosiers tend to mind their own business and don't like anyone telling them what to do.

I doubt you'll see too many New Yorkers or Californians in Indiana. Indiana is considered flyover country. Truckers used to joke that they would drive around indiana if it were feasible. Not many people would be sitting out in L.A. or Manhattan and say "gee! Let's move to Indiana!" Probably not gonna see that.

Indiana does have heat and humidity but it doesn't last long. The dew point there is usually in the comfortable range for the majority of the year. We had no AC when I grew up in central indiana and I rarely used my AC in northern indiana. If you want absolutely no humid weather you will have to go out to the western states. I don't think you'll find that in the eastern US.

As for guns I don't think you'll have any problems owning guns in Indiana. It tends to be a gun loving place. When I was young my dad, brother and i went to shoot quite often. It used to be easy to find a farmer to let you hunt on his land but I suppose it may be more difficult nowadays. I gave up hunting decades ago. Did my shooting at a indoor gun range in Fort Wayne.

It's pretty hard to live off grid nowadays but I'd think that some state like Maine or Minnesota might suit you. The UP of Michigan might work too except those places won't have the amount of sunshine you'll want. They do have humidity but they're far enough north that the heat won't be a problem. Low heat and high humidity will result in decent dew point levels. It's the dew point you gotta look out for when thinking about humidity. Trust me, I live in southwest Florida and the high dew points are murder down here in summer. In winter they are lower and that's why we are overrun with snowbirds and tourists.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana