Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:13 PM

64 posts, read 280,410 times

Advertisements

I Currently Live In Indianapolis And Like It Here, But My Husband Got Offered A Better Job In Long Island, So We Will Be Relocating There In A Few Months. We Have Lived In Many Different Areas And I Think Indy Has Been The Best So Far, The Cost Of Housing Is Very Affordable And For The Most Part People Are Very Friendly.
In The Winter It Is Very Cold But Not Much Worse Than Anywhere Else. The Worse Thing Is The Summer Humidity, It Always Seems So Much Warmer Here Than The Temps Say It Is.
Any Advice For Us Moving To Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
mbk

15 posts, read 95,133 times
NLay,
Where will he be working? Do you have kids? Are you renting or buying?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 PM

He will be working in Medford. Yes I have 2 kids 5 &3 and we will probably be renting until we see what we can buy.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 AM
mbk

15 posts, read 95,133 times
NLay,
I personally love the north shore of the island much more than the south shore.
There are more trees, hills, people tend to be nicer too, and the beaches are great for little kids because there are no waves. I would take a look at Stonybrook/Setauket/Poquott, all great areas with a good school district (3 village s.d) miller place, mt sinai, sound beach are also great communities. plus stonybrook is a great university with a terrific hospital, so with kids, unfortunately that is a consideration. also there is hauppauge, which is pretty and it puts you right by the LIE, and property taxes are much lower than most of LI. Even if you are just renting, I would recommend doing so in a place that you will most likely buy in, it would give you a good idea of what living there is like.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 AM

178 posts, read 801,654 times
NLay, I agree that the north shore of Long Island is nicer, unless you are looking for the ocean beach life. On the northshore, the large trees are everywhere and are gorgeous! Glen Cove, Bayville and Oyster Bay are very nice towns. Glen Cove has a nice "home-town" feel and a beautiful beach/park built by JP Morgan. VERY friendly people. Also a really nice YMCA/or YWCA. Costs will not be cheap, however.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,128 times
Smile Need advice re: Bloomington Area & Offering help for relocating to Suffolk/LI

Hi! I found this thread tonight and am so grateful! THANK YOU! This is all such great information! I'm currently living in Coram on LI and am actually flying to IN next sunday to explore relocating somewhere within 30 minute radius of Bloomington. All the towns listed so far are north of Indy. Any suggestions for places further south? I'd be moving there with my partner. We're both in our late 30s. Looking for an active community (but one with folks closer to our age) and hoping to start a family soon.

For LI...If your job is in Medford, I'd suggest looking for housing further east. The communities listed (Three Village, Mt. Sinai) are really great but pricey. The Island is running out of land so economic development is moving east...and housing in those areas will increase as that happens because people want shorter commutes to work and the land in those areas will become more desirable. Try checking Wading River or Shoreham (both on the north shore). The Wading River Shoreham School District (also on the North Shore) is very good and has a great lacrosse program (if that is something your kids are interested in). A good web site is MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens

Communities in the center of the island (like coram and downtown patchogue) that were once considered perhaps not as desirable as the north shore are being redeveloped because people can't afford to live anywhere else. Center Moriches is also a nice area (south shore, further east).

Hope some of this information helps.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I currently live on the south side of Indy and I love it here. The neighborhood I live in has tons of kids and everyone looks out for everyone else. Their are all different types of ages of people that live here to and for the most part everyone gets along pretty well. Let me know if you are looking for more info.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM

197 posts, read 1,066,019 times
Hey NLay, also in the south side of Indy here, in Greenwood, by Sheek Rd., are we nearby ? I highly recommend Greenwood, IN.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 PM

No I live on the south side of Indy by Thompson and Arlington. (Franklin Township). I really like it here I am having a hard time deciding if we should move or not. The job would be great but the housing is just not at all similar, not only does it cost a lot but most of the house I have seen are dumps and they want over 2000/month to rent?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM

30 posts, read 65,204 times
Default Allergies/Racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
What in the world are you talking about??? Smell the fungus the minute you get off the interstate I don't mean to belittle your situation, but goodness gracious .... Indiana manages to keep a population of allergy sufferers without such hysterical commentary as yours. This state does have allergists you know.

Now, if you are lamenting about purchasing a home that has a mold problem, well ... didn't you get your property inspected prior to purchase?? There are certified mold inspectors you know?

Good luck in New Mexico ... sheesh! Enjoy all the creepie crawlies, scorpions and black widow spiders. Be sure to check out the New Mexico board on your way out so you can be informed.

I'm sorry, but while Indiana has it's share of problems, mold isn't one of them that makes this state unique.
Domergurl,
I don't post on here very often but I've run across a couple of yours and am a little confused, first of all I'm white and the majority of my friends are minorities. You don't think central In. area is racist? Give me a break wasn't/isn't? Elwood In. the capital of the kkk organization? Also I hear so many people make racist statements hear it's absurd. One of my bosses is black and she does get stopped regularly without ever getting any tickets. Know what most of the cops ask her? What are you doing over here? I actually witnessed this one time with my own eyes (in our parking lot). Doing your research you might want to check out the allergy map, central In. is in fact one of the worst to live if you suffer from allergies, opinions and presentations don't really matter, when considering a move here it's a great thing to mention to someone, I wouldn't have thought about it. You don't like the way the guy typed his post and get offended then tell him to enjoy the black widows? What a perfectly worded central In. response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana