Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 03:22 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times

Advertisements

I understand people can request to have their homes blurred on Google Street View. But in the below example,

1. A big patch of the view of a shopping center is SLIGHTLY blurred; I can still make out what the image is, just that it's soft-focused. Is this soft-focus an intended feature? And if so, what's the idea or use of it?

And is there any need to blur commercial structures (at any level)?

2. The street sign is completely blurred. While this level of blurness is what I am used to seeing on homes and faces and car license plates, I don't recall road signs being blurred. What is the objective to blur street names?

Why some Google Street Views are SLIGHTLY blurred (as opposed to completely blurred)?-blur.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 05:13 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Privacy.
Some people requested to have their buildings or cars blurred.

Google Street View also blurs road signs to prevent its competitors using it.

Slight blurs - sometimes it could be weather related - sun rays hitting the Google camera.

You probably could find out why this particular building was blurred. Go to regular Google map to pinpoint location.

Last edited by elnina; 12-27-2021 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-27-2021, 06:29 PM

18 posts, read 10,251 times
Question  

Hmmm I wonder if it matters what your viewing on??

That pic above elnina didnt look blurred to me at all (Im on IE6 (MyIE2 (Desktop)))

Old 12-27-2021, 06:37 PM

8,494 posts, read 4,738,627 times
The slightly blurred part doesn’t look like the building in particular was blurred, it looked as though two images of varying quality were spliced together at that location. You’ll often see older, low-quality images for street view in the boonies. It’s probably unrelated to the actual and deliberate blurring of some objects.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:46 PM

Ya I have seen some blurred out pics and that one doesnt even look close......

Old 12-27-2021, 07:36 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
The slightly blurred part doesn’t look like the building in particular was blurred, it looked as though two images of varying quality were spliced together at that location. You’ll often see older, low-quality images for street view in the boonies. It’s probably unrelated to the actual and deliberate blurring of some objects.
Split images are almost always unaligned. This one looks perfectly intact.
I think it was a sun glare. Notice the sun on the right top of the picture.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:39 PM

8,494 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Split images are almost always unaligned. This one looks perfectly intact.
I think it was a sun glare. Notice the sun on the right top of the picture.
Maybe? After a second look, you’re right, they do “agree” quite nicely. Either way I think it’s some artifact of something other than deliberate blurring.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:29 PM

Ya i have to agree... Dang elnina you dont mi$$ a thing! (We sure did )

I didnt notice the sun before.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet