Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What combination of Browser and Search engine
Firefox and DuckDuckGo 9 21.43%
MS Edge and Bing 0 0%
Chrome and Google 11 26.19%
Something else that really works for me 24 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 06:35 AM

1,507 posts, read 814,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Wrong. It does. Simply, at the moment (and since the launch of apps on iOS), Safari is the only browser available for iOS devices.

You may want to read Apple's own ADP documentation more closely.
I did read it and while they are based on WebKit it does not mean they exactly are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 12:43 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,836,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I did read it and while they are based on WebKit it does not mean they exactly are the same.
Webkit is the browser engine for safari. It's safari without the UI (back/forward buttons, bookmarks, etc.). You can't have a web browser other safari's on iOS (at the moment).

Old 05-14-2023, 11:37 AM

7,532 posts, read 13,689,049 times
Safari & Google on Mac mini, and iPad

( Firefox installed on both but not normally used)

Old 05-18-2023, 06:41 PM

3,097 posts, read 1,567,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Webkit is the browser engine for safari. It's safari without the UI (back/forward buttons, bookmarks, etc.). You can't have a web browser other safari's on iOS (at the moment).
so when you go into settings on your ipad, go to safari, and then select, as you are told to by apple, from google, duckduckgo, bing and a couple others, those dont really exist and its all a shell game? I have a hard time believing that.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:31 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,118,454 times
StartPage on Safari for me.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:08 PM

1,065 posts, read 475,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
so when you go into settings on your ipad, go to safari, and then select, as you are told to by apple, from google, duckduckgo, bing and a couple others, those dont really exist and its all a shell game? I have a hard time believing that.
What are you talking about? Google, DuckDuckGo, Bing, etc. are not browsers....

Those services exist on Apple devices.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:43 AM

666 posts, read 433,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
What are you talking about? Google, DuckDuckGo, Bing, etc. are not browsers....

Those services exist on Apple devices.
There is a huge and growing segment of the population that are incapable of making the distinction between web browsers and search engines. I believe that google's choices of branding are largely to blame.

At this point, I don't even bother trying to correct them because it is a losing battle. David vs Goliath. There are simply too many of them to overcome the inertia.

Anyway, much of the tech cattle are being herded into [Tr]Apps these days rather than on the free web. It's a visit to the zoo that you can't refuse!

Old 05-21-2023, 10:07 PM

15,495 posts, read 9,183,450 times
I don't know, but somebody had better create a new search fast. Google has became nothing but SPAM bot, trying to sell you stuff. If you are shopping for something, it's excellent. If you are looking for information, it's going to be hard to find it with Google. DuckDuckGo is not a great alternative to Google either.

But for what it's worth, I use Google with Chrome and DuckDuckGo with Firefox. I mostly just use DuckDuckGo for privacy. So Google doesn't start SPAMming all of my search results for months to come because if one single search, which probably wasn't even something important.

I also use Bing, when both of those fail.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:46 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,793,038 times
Google is...nothing but Spam? Has something changed recently? I have zero issues finding anything these days and my search results aren't spammed?!?! I think you are referring to cookies following you on the web? Which is literally a thing with 100's of companies, not just Google.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:21 AM

666 posts, read 433,305 times
Both DuckDuckGlow and Goolag are known censors which uprank and downrank results according to their own internal Ministries of Truth. This alone makes them unsuitable solutions. And the problem with simply jumping to each new search "solution" to escape the last sinking ship is that it will always inevitably meet the same fate as the last.

The power lies with whomever owns the index. If the index being iterated over sits outside your own host (or LAN), then it is also subject to the arbitrary whims of the people allowing you access to it. I wish I could recommend running your own crawler to build an index as some magic, one size fits all solution, but the truth is that it isn't easy to do so. And the tools each come with their own set of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet