Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 11:48 AM

15,602 posts, read 9,264,864 times

Advertisements

Just an update. The ad situation on YouTube is still getting worse for me. I have started seeing some ads getting through even when I use the Brave browser. At first it appears the ad blocker is working fine. But when I expect to see the video start playing, instead of the red progress bar, I see the yellow one. That appears and disappears a few times, and then suddenly an ad starts playing. It appears that YouTube is just bombarding me with ads until it overloads the ad blocker.

To make it worse on my old MacBook Pro which I use to log into my Google / YouTube account, YouTube just completely broke a few days ago. For some weird reason the video description and comment section below the video player switched places with the Sidebar recommended video section. But this only happens when I'm logged in. When I'm logged out everything goes back to looking normal. My first thought was that my Chrome extensions were causing the problem. I tried disabling all of those extensions but the problem persisted. YouTube was working fine in Firefox, so I decided to log into my account on Firefox. Sure enough the same problem occurred in Firefox when I logged in. As soon as I logged in, the video description and comment section switch places with the Sidebar. At least in Firefox even though the page looks a mess, it's still functional. The YouTube page quickly becomes unresponsive in Chrome.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this?

I know everybody's response will be to get a new computer, but I can't afford that right now. Anyway even my newer Macs are having problems. Just today I got this message for the first time.

To get future Google Chrome updates, you'll need macOS 11 or later. This computer is using macOS 10.15. My god this OS is only 5 years old. I used 10.6 for 12 years. Even long after Apple stopped supporting 10.6, Google supported it. But now they want you to get a new computer or software every 5 years? That is just ridiculous. Now I'm going to have to try to get macOS 11 up and running on these old computers. Which may not even be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 11:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 3,865,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
To get future Google Chrome updates, you'll need macOS 11 or later. This computer is using macOS 10.15. My god this OS is only 5 years old. I used 10.6 for 12 years. Even long after Apple stopped supporting 10.6, Google supported it. But now they want you to get a new computer or software every 5 years? That is just ridiculous. Now I'm going to have to try to get macOS 11 up and running on these old computers. Which may not even be possible.
You only get that message after Google stops making builds for a very old version of an operating system. You can easily create your own build: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git Note that it's best to create the build on the computer you're going to use so the correct xCode libraries/compilers are used for your MacOS version..

Old 05-19-2024, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You only get that message after Google stops making builds for a very old version of an operating system. You can easily create your own build: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git Note that it's best to create the build on the computer you're going to use so the correct xCode libraries/compilers are used for your MacOS version..
Thanks, but that looks complicated. Interesting but complicated. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that.

Funny on a computer running macOS 10.13, the message tells you that to get future Chrome updates you will need macOS 10.15. But if you have macOS 10.15, the message tells you, you need macOS 11. Some people could upgrade from 10.13 to 10.15, only to find out that doesn't solve their problem.

But what really bothers me is that when I was running OS 10.6, I think it was about 5 years in when Apple stopped supporting it. At that time Safari became buggy, so I switched to Chrome. I think it was at the 9 or 10 year mark when Chrome started giving me the message to upgrade. But now 10.15 is less than 5 years old. It was released in October 2019, and I'm already getting the upgrade message. And the message is not that it will soon happen, which is what the messages in the past said. This makes it sound like Chrome is already done with 10.15.

This planned obsolescence is very frustrating to those of us who don't have thousands of dollars to buy new computers every couple of years. Expensive computers built to last virtually forever, but which become obsolete in 5 to 10 years is just ridiculous. My 20 year old Honda Civic is still supported by Honda. But a 12 year old MacBook Pro has no support.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 3,865,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Funny on a computer running macOS 10.13, the message tells you that to get future Chrome updates you will need macOS 10.15. But if you have macOS 10.15, the message tells you, you need macOS 11. Some people could upgrade from 10.13 to 10.15, only to find out that doesn't solve their problem.
If you consider the problem to having that message going away, sure. But if you want a newer version of chrome, it does solve the problem. With 10.15 you will be able to install a newer version of chrome than if you had 10.13.

Old 05-22-2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
If you consider the problem to having that message going away, sure. But if you want a newer version of chrome, it does solve the problem. With 10.15 you will be able to install a newer version of chrome than if you had 10.13.
The problem is that the computer I'm having the problem with is a 2010 MacBook Pro. 10.13 is the latest supported OS. I think I might be able to get 10.15 to run unsupported on it. But now knowing that Chrome support for 10.15 is going away, I'm not sure it will be worth the trouble, and trying to instal macOS 11 on a machine that old, could be problematic. It's a good machine, but I don't know if it can handle macOS 11.

Though if I could get 11 to run well enough, that would solve my problem. I could insall that on all my Macs and I wouldn't have to buy new hardware for a while.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,429,749 times
They're making it more and more difficult, but maybe this applies to phone users more than computer users:
https://www.phonearena.com/news/yout...ckers_id158744

I'm using Adblock Plus on Firefox, and what I see isn't too difficult to accept. Very often at the start of a Youtube video, the ads they want to show will kind of flash by, a few clips that are over in less than a second, and then the full video plays. I don't know if this means Youtube thinks I saw the ads, or not.

Last edited by Amontillado; 05-27-2024 at 11:38 PM..

Old 05-28-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
They're making it more and more difficult, but maybe this applies to phone users more than computer users:
https://www.phonearena.com/news/yout...ckers_id158744

I'm using Adblock Plus on Firefox, and what I see isn't too difficult to accept. Very often at the start of a Youtube video, the ads they want to show will kind of flash by, a few clips that are over in less than a second, and then the full video plays. I don't know if this means Youtube thinks I saw the ads, or not.
I know, they make it so easy to avoid watching the ads, not just on phones, but computers as well. If the ad gets through the ad blocker, all I have to do is hit the mute button on my keyboard, then scroll down to read comments or look at the related videos while I wait for the ads to finish playing. I can keep just enough of the bottom of the screen visible, so I can see the Skip Ad button when it appears. Most of the new ad blockers just do that for you.

It's not that Google is forcing ads on anybody, they are just wasting people's time, and it slows the interface down and makes it clunky.

I don't think that Google is even deluding themselves into believing that anybody is actually watching their stupid ads. At least not anyone who wasn't already watching the dumb ads. I think at this point they are just trying to irritate their users into paying for YouTube Premium. But they are even doing a bad job at that. They should make it easier to set up and pay for a YouTube Premium account, and lower the price to probably $4.99 a month instead of $13.99. At $4.99 a month, if even one out of three users paid for a Premium account, Google could rack in about $5 billion a month from it. But they are too greedy for that. They want more.

Old 05-28-2024, 05:00 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,429,749 times
I'm sure Google has smart people sitting in meetings discussing the price point for Youtube, and how to get the maximum revenue. And yes, I agree, the function of the advertising may be primarily to drive viewers to pay for the premium service.

Right now, the first three threads in the "Internet" forum here at City-data are about advertising.

Old 05-29-2024, 03:29 AM

9,155 posts, read 4,827,085 times
Quote:
I'm sure Google has smart people sitting in meetings discussing the price point for Youtube, and how to get the maximum revenue. And yes, I agree, the function of the advertising may be primarily to drive viewers to pay for the premium service.

Right now, the first three threads in the "Internet" forum here at City-data are about advertising.
Just more evidence that our civilization needs to re-think the whole ad supported business model.

Old 05-29-2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:

I don't think that Google does have smart people doing that. They have greedy people. Even if you think $13.99 a month is a fair price to pay to not have ads on YouTube, as more people take the bate, they will start jacking the price up until it will be over a hundred dollars a month. You can't deal with a greedy company like that. You have to fight their greed with your own greed, and not give into their blackmail.

There is another thread in the political forum about how fast food prices have doubled in the last few years. The price increases have cost McDonald's so much business, that now their profits are plummeting. Where those smart people at McDs who understood price points, who decided to raise the prices? No, they were dumb greedy people.

All Google is doing is tuning me off to their services. I'm not going to stop using YouTube, but I have switched from Chrome to Firefox to access the site. I like Chrome as a browser, but not if they are going to prevent me from blocking ads. That's a deal killer. I loved Google when it first came out. It was the best search engine I had ever seen. But what they have become is complete garbage, that I can mostly do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet